Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

What is the team's biggest need after the draft?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 04-26-2010, 01:18 PM   #31
doughtydoubter
Impact Rookie

Re: What is the team's biggest need after the draft?

Quote:
Originally Posted by franklinhimself View Post
Also, I agree that FS is a big need that we haven't addressed the past 2 years. I'm in favor of signing Sharper.

RIP Taylor.

And I really like the Capers pick in Rd 7. Converted TE who with a year or two of coaching could become a really really great find for RT for the next 10 years
I agree on both points.

also feel we need a rb, (unless aldrige can fill the void for a speedster)
a wr ( to?)
and...i think we need a legitmate clipboard holder..i dunno if clark or colt can hang
doughtydoubter is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-26-2010, 01:24 PM   #32
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Big, I think you summed it up pretty much. I'm really wondering about LB though. The new guys is supposed to play ILB along side Fletcher. We still have Blades so I think we have enough at all the LB spots.

I'd have said FS, and WR. I'm not sure who they would use at FS unless they are going into the yr as is. Haslett has said he's impressed with Landry's speed. If they can teach him to stop biting on the fakes then we'll survive another yr. WR bothers me. I'm not drinking the cool ade like some of you others. I keep hearing how the 3rd yr is usually the break out yr. What if ours don't break out?

It seems like looking at some spots people are satisfied with the we are in "rebuild" mode and other spots they are "no we need to push for better talent in order to do better then 4-12 and trying to make the playoffs."

I just don't see how people can be content at WR yet spastic about OL. Both have their issues. One won't solve the other. As of right now I see;

Moss and Thomas as our WR's.

Kelly and Mitchell are unknowns. I'm actually thinking Kelly might be a scratch after this preseason if he doesn't get his act together.

Hagans and Williams were scratches last preseason and now we have Austin... Rookie.

I don't feel comfortable. I just get a feeling T.O. is gunna be here. Like it or not he's better then whatever we have now and the HC never said "T.O. was not going to be a Skin." He said "T.O. is not in our plans right now." Which means maybe in May or June they sign a contract with him. There may already be an agreement that he will come on board, but to keep from having to show up now he's not signing his contract until later. I know some will think I'm wanting T.O., but what I'm wanting is a bona fide WR to help out Moss and Thomas. Marshall is gone. Who's left and who might be coming available soon?
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 01:24 PM   #33
franklinhimself
Special Teams

Been looking at FA linebackers. Career Titan Keith Bullock is still out there.
33 years old, but produced 108 tackles last year. Could provide ILB leadership in a part time role for another 2-3 years as a stop-gap. I'm in favor of devleoping our team's youth, but when we have a big position need, experience can't hurt.

If he's still a FA during training camp he could be a decent signing.
franklinhimself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 01:26 PM   #34
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
I don't get how RB is a big need. I don't agree with the people who say all CP, LJ, and WP will all make the team, though. None of those guys play special teams and i cant see us keeping a 3rd RB who doesnt play teams.
We had 3 RB's last yr and none played special teams?

Oh, I meant contributed. My bad.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:29 PM   #35
franklinhimself
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
Big, I think you summed it up pretty much. I'm really wondering about LB though. The new guys is supposed to play ILB along side Fletcher. We still have Blades so I think we have enough at all the LB spots.

I'd have said FS, and WR. I'm not sure who they would use at FS unless they are going into the yr as is. Haslett has said he's impressed with Landry's speed. If they can teach him to stop biting on the fakes then we'll survive another yr. WR bothers me. I'm not drinking the cool ade like some of you others. I keep hearing how the 3rd yr is usually the break out yr. What if ours don't break out?

It seems like looking at some spots people are satisfied with the we are in "rebuild" mode and other spots they are "no we need to push for better talent in order to do better then 4-12 and trying to make the playoffs."

I just don't see how people can be content at WR yet spastic about OL. Both have their issues. One won't solve the other. As of right now I see;

Kelly and Mitchell are unknowns. I'm actually thinking Kelly might be a scratch after this preseason if he doesn't get his act together.

Hagans and Williams were scratches last preseason and now we have Austin... Rookie.

I don't feel comfortable. I just get a feeling T.O. is gunna be here. Like it or not he's better then whatever we have now and the HC never said "T.O. was not going to be a Skin." He said "T.O. is not in our plans right now." Which means maybe in May or June they sign a contract with him. There may already be an agreement that he will come on board, but to keep from having to show up now he's not signing his contract until later. I know some will think I'm wanting T.O., but what I'm wanting is a bona fide WR to help out Moss and Thomas. Marshall is gone. Who's left and who might be coming available soon?

Eh, I think Kelly will have a lot more production this year. Granted a lot more than nothing might only be 400-500 yards, but both MS and KS are huge upgrades in terms of offensive competency than the JZ staff. I believe a while back MS and Kelly sat down and discussed how'd they use Kelly's size and hands for middle of the field routes Andre Johnson would run down in Houston. I'm eager to see what Kelly can contribute in that role.
franklinhimself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 01:35 PM   #36
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughtydoubter View Post
I agree on both points.

also feel we need a rb, (unless aldrige can fill the void for a speedster)
a wr ( to?)
and...i think we need a legitmate clipboard holder..i dunno if clark or colt can hang
Well, Alridge is listed as a WR on the NFL.com roster. Perhaps thats our speed WR?
Old 04-26-2010, 01:36 PM   #37
GusFrerotte

We should have signed Tanner and Landolt to shore up O line depth. I agree with our newbie Skinster in that our WR corp as a whole is a joke. Austin at 175 isn't going to cut it as a returner or a real #5 WR either.
GusFrerotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 01:40 PM   #38
GusFrerotte

Quote:

I agree with you. TO has been humbled being let go from the Boys and being stuck on a shitty Buffalo squad. He won't make any waves here. He is at the point where the money is tight and he wants a ring. We desperately need a go to WR to open up things for not only Donovan, but to give Santana some help. Getting another small Wr was dumb. Should have drafted a FS instead of Austin. I can easily see TO coming here, maybe via a Rocky trade.
GusFrerotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 01:40 PM   #39
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by franklinhimself View Post
Eh, I think Kelly will have a lot more production this year. Granted a lot more than nothing might only be 400-500 yards, but both MS and KS are huge upgrades in terms of offensive competency than the JZ staff. I believe a while back MS and Kelly sat down and discussed how'd they use Kelly's size and hands for middle of the field routes Andre Johnson would run down in Houston. I'm eager to see what Kelly can contribute in that role.
Yeah and with in the last month they had him tied into trade talks.

I agree we are far better off then JZ and Hixon, but part of the issue was his knees swelling during practice so he couldn't even see the field. He has to be on the field in order to get what the scheme is. Right now I have more faith in Thomas cause he's actually had 2yrs of playing time. Kelly technically is still in his Rookie yr since he has not seen very much playing time. About the only thing he's done is have 1 oe 2 nice catch's and bulked up.

I'm hoping they find a decent role for Mitchell. He looked awsome in some of his pictures from the recent camp. He bulked up and has decent muscle.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:42 PM   #40
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusFrerotte View Post
I agree with you. TO has been humbled being let go from the Boys and being stuck on a shitty Buffalo squad. He won't make any waves here. He is at the point where the money is tight and he wants a ring. We desperately need a go to WR to open up things for not only Donovan, but to give Santana some help. Getting another small Wr was dumb. Should have drafted a FS instead of Austin. I can easily see TO coming here, maybe via a Rocky trade.
T.O. is a FA. All they have to do is sign him. They want to trade Rocky fine. Hopefully we pick up a FS in that trade.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:42 PM   #41
MTK
\m/

Kelly's knee wasn't an issue last year.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:46 PM   #42
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
I thought he had some swelling during preseason and had to keep sitting out/icing it down. Then due to all of that he hardly saw the field cause they felt he didn't know the routes well enough?
Old 04-26-2010, 01:53 PM   #43
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
I thought he had a Hixon related issue

Clearly our team's biggest need now is new story lines!
CRedskinsRule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 02:01 PM   #44
mlmdub130
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
I thought he had a Hixon related issue

Clearly our team's biggest need now is new story lines!
please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ST21
mlmdub130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 02:02 PM   #45
MTK
\m/

Quote:
I thought he had some swelling during preseason and had to keep sitting out/icing it down. Then due to all of that he hardly saw the field cause they felt he didn't know the routes well enough?
You must be mixing up his rookie year with last year. He started the season as the starter at WR last year, started the first 5 games. He just got benched for being unproductive, his knee wasn't a factor.