Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Kudos to the Skins 2011 Draft

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 09-04-2011, 09:45 PM   #1
CultBrennan59
Pro Bowl

Re: Kudos to the Skins 2011 Draft

National Football League: NFL Draft History - by Team

Very true about the 08 draft, but if you remember around that time, Durant Brooks was cut during the season and Nick Frost was the better punter in that competition, Colt Brennan (MY BOY!) never played a single snap in the NFL and Zorn just had him just to have a 3rd QB(Daniel played better than Colt, but again it was a draft pick over an undrafted), Rob Jackson was put on the PS either that year or the year after, Rinehart never played and was a Malcolm Kelly in terms of always being injured. Speaking of Malcolm, he never played, nor did DT, and I remember Zorn saying they wouldnt see much or any playing time that year because they needed to develope...Bullsh!t, he just didn't have faith in them nor did he think they were good after he had them on his team.
Old 09-05-2011, 12:09 PM   #2
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by CultBrennan59 View Post
National Football League: NFL Draft History - by Team

Very true about the 08 draft, but if you remember around that time, Durant Brooks was cut during the season and Nick Frost was the better punter in that competition, Colt Brennan (MY BOY!) never played a single snap in the NFL and Zorn just had him just to have a 3rd QB(Daniel played better than Colt, but again it was a draft pick over an undrafted), Rob Jackson was put on the PS either that year or the year after, Rinehart never played and was a Malcolm Kelly in terms of always being injured. Speaking of Malcolm, he never played, nor did DT, and I remember Zorn saying they wouldnt see much or any playing time that year because they needed to develope...Bullsh!t, he just didn't have faith in them nor did he think they were good after he had them on his team.
Not quite sure of your point. "He didn't have faith in them"? How does that contradict Zorn's statement that they needed to develop. Are you attempting to defend the talent level of any of the picks? Jackson has taken three years to develop. Kelly, Rinehart and Brennan are out of football and are not coming back. DT is a returner and nothing more after having been cut by that offensively loaded team the Panthers. Brooks over Frost was a sitution where you keep the draft pick in hopes of development. For the record both Frost and Brooks are now out of football.

2008 was a sucky draft and that fact was obvious almost from the first time the rookies put on pads.

2011 may end up with the same fate (2 actives after 3 years), but I am thinking it shows a LOT more promise right now than the 2008 did at this time. But for Jenkins injury, two rookies would be starting and one would be expected (Jenkins) to be playing very well. That just wasn't true of the 2008 class.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:20 PM   #3
VegasSkinsFan
Impact Rookie

I agree on holding off on labeling this draft class a success. That said, it sure does feel like we didn't waste picks. This was the first year we didn't win the offseason super bowl and it's a good feeling. I'd rather us have gradual demonstrated progression instead of the quick fix. If we have a couple draft classes of solid picks and fill in with value veterans we'll be a contender.
VegasSkinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 12:08 AM   #4
That Guy
Living Legend

I mean, I like kerrigan (reminds me of aaron kampman in a way), jenkins (and did on draft day too), helu, and g(n)omes, and they've looked good. I'm not sold on hankerson, but WRs can take a couple years, I just don't remember very many guys overcoming the 50/50 disease, so I'll wait on judgement.

still 2 long term starters and 3 long term backups is a good haul... I don't think helu can be a #1 back in a normal running offense, but in the one cut zone scheme, he should take less hits and find more open lanes to sprint through untouched and be effective.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 11:18 AM   #5
Mechanix544
The Starter

lets see if some of them can translate to on the field success. Playing against starters in this league week in week out is a bit of a challenge, especially for a rook. but I agree, i am more optimistic than I have been in some time.
Mechanix544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 01:57 PM   #6
skinster
Impact Rookie

I hate to say it, but I'm not sold yet. Kerrigan looks solid, Jenkins looked like a beast, but knee problems on a 315 lb man is scary to me, and I'm not sure if he'll come back. I don't like helu. The kid has great balance and speed, but seems to not have good decision making abilities and isn't the best at slipping out of tackles. I'm wait and see on everyone else. I'm hopeful on hankerson, but not holding my breath on anyone else.

I might not be sold, but at least I'm encouraged, and hopeful.
skinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 02:09 PM   #7
VegasSkinsFan
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinster View Post
I hate to say it, but I'm not sold yet. Kerrigan looks solid, Jenkins looked like a beast, but knee problems on a 315 lb man is scary to me, and I'm not sure if he'll come back. I don't like helu. The kid has great balance and speed, but seems to not have good decision making abilities and isn't the best at slipping out of tackles. I'm wait and see on everyone else. I'm hopeful on hankerson, but not holding my breath on anyone else.

One thing that stands out to me is how many people we release get claimed. NE had 4 or 5 guys claimed by other teams. When that starts happening to us, I'll know that we're drafting well.
VegasSkinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 02:14 PM   #8
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasSkinsFan View Post
One thing that stands out to me is how many people we release get claimed. NE had 4 or 5 guys claimed by other teams. When that starts happening to us, I'll know that we're drafting well.
Well we had Hicks and Dockery, granted they were scheme fit cuts, but my point is that those type of claims happen every year. Tryon went to the Colts and performed. I think, but not sure 1 or 2 others of our cuts were picked up as well. One team's trash is another's treasure.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 07:31 PM   #9
IrMitchell
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinster View Post

My thoughts exactly..

I think it's more a matter of trying to create a new atmosphere with new faces and hoping that whoever doesn't stick has earned value in the league.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:41 PM   #10
GTripp0012
Living Legend

This was a really good class, by our standards. No pro-Redskins fluff required: they did a good job.

With that said, if you look at the construction of the 53 man roster, you can see how much they had to stretch things to keep all the talent they drafted. The very truth is our WR class (and probably Helu/Royster as well at RB) just won't have much production this season simply because of the way the roster is built. There is limited opportunity for guys like Hankerson and Austin to get on the field and produce. They are blocked. When rebuilding, blocked prospects are better than released prospects. But still. We won't be able to judge the quality of this class in only a year or two.

Kerrigan is in line for significant playing time, and hopefully we get something out of Gomes and Thompson as well. On the offensive side, I think we all know the principals are Hightower, Young, Cooley, Davis, Gaffney, Moss, and Armstrong. We'll sink or swim with those guys this year, barring injury, no one else is likely to see the field on more than just a "take a breather" basis.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:21 AM   #11
#56fanatic
The Starter

I think they did a great job of picking players in the draft. One, when is the last time we had 7 picks? not alone have 13 at one point and ending with 12. I shows fans a commitment to building and getting younger and competing on an annual basis. I applaud the players they SEEM to have found. Round by round I think they did really good. Kerrigan and Jenkins are starters this year (Jenkins to IR, but I think he would have been the starter) Hankerson looks to be a keeper from the 3rd round. Helu is listed as 2nd RB from the 4th round. Gomes made the 53 man roster and looked good and may be the eventual FS from the 5th round. Royster and Aldrickson are on the practice squad (Royster is solid and hopefully if we can't use him this year, we can trade him for a 6th rounder next year) Neild and White from the 7th made the 53 man roster, Neild is going to be one of those motor guys that contributes and rotates in and out, White could be the same.

It may be early, but I have to give this organiztion credit for drafting 12 guys, and apparently picking 12 guys that may have a spot on this team for years to come.
#56fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 03:08 PM   #12
MTK
\m/

Can't compare 2008 to now.

Vinny kept his picks, nuff said.
Old 09-06-2011, 03:16 PM   #13
Alvin Walton
Pro Bowl

2008 was an idiotic draft.
The first three picks should have been offensive linemen.
Old 09-06-2011, 03:27 PM   #14
polywog
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin Walton View Post
2008 was an idiotic draft.
The first three picks should have been offensive linemen.
Redskins weren't interested in winning, then....only selling jerseys.

You are correct about the linemen - only thing is, they would have all been big, maulers. They would have been cut by now because of the switch to ZB.

Every time we bring in a new regime - we start the roster from scratch. If we had kept Norv Turner as coach [OMG!], we would have had the stability to have won a SB by now. Switching coaches all the time is suicide.
polywog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 09:56 PM   #15
That Guy
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by polywog View Post
Redskins weren't interested in winning, then....only selling jerseys.

You are correct about the linemen - only thing is, they would have all been big, maulers. They would have been cut by now because of the switch to ZB.

Every time we bring in a new regime - we start the roster from scratch. If we had kept Norv Turner as coach [OMG!], we would have had the stability to have won a SB by now. Switching coaches all the time is suicide.

with norv? he's the master of turning gold into crap. no thanks. schotty i could see though... and we let brad johnson and trent green go and opted against trying to land brees, so boo on that.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote