Old 07-05-2009, 10:13 AM   #32
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Re: Steve McNair found shot to death!

Locals remember more about McNair than strong throwing arm
Hattiesburg American
July 5, 2009

By ALAN HINTON and JASON MUNZ

Steve McNair passed for 31,304 yards and 174 touchdowns in his NFL career. He was the 2003 NFL co-Most Valuable Player and came within a yard of leading the Tennessee Titans to a Super Bowl victory in 2000.

But there was more to McNair than just a strong right arm.

He was a high school star, a college legend, a pro standout and a Mississippian whom people looked up to almost his entire life.

"After Hurricane Katrina, he sent I don't know how many 18-wheelers of stuff to people on the Coast," said Jay Arrington, a native of Covington County and a friend of McNair, who was raised in Mount Olive. "He always did for the kids and he always did for the underprivileged."

Saturday's death of McNair, 36, who retired from the NFL after the 2007 season, stunned Arrington and other fans throughout the Pine Belt.

"We're still crying," Arrington said. "All of Mount Olive is probably like me, you can't believe it. You cry, why did it have to happen to him? He was so humble. He was just that good ol' guy from Mount Olive. It's been devastating."

McNair's agent, Bus Cook of Hattiesburg, heard about the death in Nashville, Tenn., of his client and an unidentified woman early Saturday afternoon.

"It's just devastating," Cook said. "He was the nicest guy you ever met. There truly was none better."

The Memphis Royals semipro baseball team has been in Hattiesburg this weekend playing in the United States Baseball Congress World Series at Smokie Harrington Park. Some of the team's players were Titans fans.

"He was our first real quarterback," Austin Moody said. "We pulled for him even when he went to Baltimore.

"This is pretty shocking. Unexpected. Disappointing."

Amanda Horvath, 19, of Memphis thought back to last week's death of music icon Michael Jackson.

"So many people are dying," she said. "It goes to show you it doesn't matter who you are, how old you are or how much money you have."

Tootie Myers, a former professional baseball player, knew McNair from when they both were clients of Cook.

"Here's a guy from Mississippi who influenced a lot of guys, both black and white. And he fell at such a young age.

"For the last three weeks, with Michael Jackson and this with Steve, both were young. It shows you that even the best athlete, the best entertainer, could fall at any time. It makes you get closer with the Lord."

McNair sponsored softball teams throughout his adult life and held a free football camp for youngsters at the University of Southern Mississippi only 10 days ago.

He was a fixture on the sideline of Oak Grove football games, where his son Steve McNair Jr. plays.

"I didn't want to believe it at first," said Robert Johnson, a wide receiver on the Oak Grove High School football team. "I had the opportunity to work out with an NFL legend and one of the best quarterbacks to ever play in the league. It was a blessing. He was a great man."

Oak Grove head football coach Nevil Barr also got to know McNair.

"It's just a shock," Barr said. "It's terrible. He was out there at our place about eight or nine days ago, and he was just such a great guy. Such a good man. I thought a lot of him."

"It makes me sad," said Vernis Mackey, 15, a running back for the Alpha Christian School football team, upon hearing the news of McNair's death. "He was a good football player. I liked how he played."

Covington County residents would travel to Nashville to watch McNair when he played for the Titans. McNair, who bought his mother, Lucille, a house near Mount Olive when he signed his first pro contract, would charter a bus to take his old friends and relatives to the games.

"After the games on Sundays, everybody would hang out at the hotel waiting to get on the bus," Arrington said. "He had his two bodyguards with him, and was giving an interview. These kids walked up and he stopped the interview to give autographs to those kids. He was so down to earth."
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 10:24 AM   #33
53Fan
Franchise Player

These last 2 posts speak volumes about the man. We should all hope to be spoken as highly of upon our passing.
Old 07-05-2009, 11:53 AM   #34
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Wow, I'm suprised. R.I.P. Steve McNair. My condolences to his family and friends, and if this is a murder-suicide, then that sucks even worse, getting shot because you tried to save a friend from themselves.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 12:58 PM   #35
htownskinfan
JUST LIVIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
This is not looking good. I can't imagine what his wife and family are going through. Looks like the girl shot him out of some kind of anger and then turned the gun on herself. In no way shape or form am I saying McNair deserved it but what in the world is he doing buying an Escalade for a 20 year old waitress?? Why is he hanging out and getting drunk w/ a 20 year a few nights before this happened??? Why is he hanging around a 20 year old in the first place?
wang dang sweet poontang,thats why
sometimes the little head takes control of the big head
its hard to be with the same woman over and over and over and over again,lol
well it is for some people
Its a shame for Steve and his family
R.I.P.
Old 07-05-2009, 12:59 PM   #36
Redskin Warrior
The Starter

Remember in the early 90's I went to a football game in my hometown Montgomery, AL and Alabama State (same school me & Tarvaris Jackson went too) Vs. Alcorn State and Steve McNair was the QB for Alcorn. I was a little kid around five or six and Steve played a hell of a game. He couldn't be stop so I started calling Steve "Superman" that was one of the best games I attended in my life. So sad to see Steve go that is two of favorites gone now Sean T. & Superman!!! R.I.P. Steve!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
First they ban winning...now this?
Redskin Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 02:28 PM   #37
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Very sad to hear this, my condolences to his family. Sad day for the NFL.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 02:55 PM   #38
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownskinfan View Post
wang dang sweet poontang,thats why
sometimes the little head takes control of the big head
its hard to be with the same woman over and over and over and over again,lol
well it is for some people
Its a shame for Steve and his family
R.I.P.
I understand that but mess around with someone that is an adult, someone that has their shit together, not a 20 year old who is waiting tables. It just doesn't make sense. He paid the ultimate price for putting himself in that situation.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 03:34 PM   #39
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

The Titans being my second favorite team, I've been a big McNair fan for a while now. One of my favorite players ever was when he kept his balance scrambling out of the pocket on the final drive against the Rams to keep the drive going for a chance to win the Super Bowl. This is really a shame for everyone involved. Just goes to show we have no idea what goes in these people's lives off the field.
Old 07-05-2009, 03:36 PM   #40
saden1
MVP

OMG, this is so sad. No one deserves to get shot-up like that. RIP.

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 05:31 PM   #41
htownskinfan
JUST LIVIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
I understand that but mess around with someone that is an adult, someone that has their shit together, not a 20 year old who is waiting tables. It just doesn't make sense. He paid the ultimate price for putting himself in that situation.
age doesnt have anything to do with having your shit together,anybody at any age fooling around with a married man probably doesnt have their shit together.Theres not a age limit on crazy
Old 07-05-2009, 06:48 PM   #42
DynamiteRave
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownskinfan View Post
age doesnt have anything to do with having your shit together,anybody at any age fooling around with a married man probably doesnt have their shit together.Theres not a age limit on crazy
Trufax.

I've been a part of this message board for 17 years. Damn I'm old.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 09:25 PM   #43
JPPT1974
Special Teams

RIP Steve, you will be missed! God bless you and your family!
Old 07-05-2009, 11:44 PM   #44
GusFrerotte

McNair was a stand up guy. The woman with him was killed also at the apartment complex. I wonder if it was a simple robbery attempt gone bad or a pissed off ex boyfriend.
GusFrerotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 01:12 AM   #45
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusFrerotte View Post
McNair was a stand up guy. The woman with him was killed also at the apartment complex. I wonder if it was a simple robbery attempt gone bad or a pissed off ex boyfriend.
Saw the Myspace pic to huh?

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote