Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Redskins Talking Trade with Raiders?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 07-30-2012, 12:48 PM   #31
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Re: Redskins Talking Trade with Raiders?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
I would hate to see Cooley leave under any circumstances. Cooley's only 30 years old. He's no spring chicken, but he still has a lot left in the tank. Fred Davis tweaks an ankle and suddenly you're regretting unloading Cooley. I wouldn't do it.
Well, sure, unless Niles Paul looks like a 24 year old vertical receiving tight end coming into his own.

What you've reasoned is exactly why I wouldn't cut Cooley simply for the salary relief. He still has value.

But if you can get something in return for him, you have to take it.

Advertisements
Old 07-30-2012, 12:49 PM   #32
12thMan
MVP

Also, Jammal Brown is a two-time Pro Bowler and we gave up a third round pick. We took a risk and things haven't worked. Probably best that we don't panic and unload too much right now and just address that position in next year's draft.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:51 PM   #33
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
what an appropriate acronym to describe our right tackle issue (JB stinks) as well as the tackle market in the offseason (stunk)

It is a lil bothersome that Shanny is saying our young guys are not ready for the to step up and be full time starters.
When did he say this?

Also, I would have loved to have gotten Winston but it didn't seem like he was willing to negotiate to be here.

And I was just throwing Khalif Barnes' name out there, not based on any inside info

And I'm totally fine with moving forward without Cooley.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:52 PM   #34
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
Also, Jammal Brown is a two-time Pro Bowler and we gave up a third round pick. We took a risk and things haven't worked. Probably best that we don't panic and unload too much right now and just address that position in next year's draft.
I agree. But it's good business to keep the options open. This is probably the very last opportunity to get anything for Cooley. After 2012, he's likely going to be on a series of "TE for hire" one year contracts, be they here or elsewhere. Which means no matter what we decide to do with him this month, we can have him back if we want him next year.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:53 PM   #35
The Goat
Pro Bowl

The FO already screwed the pooch when it blew it's FA wad (knowingly) on WR, badly neglecting the tackle position. I would bet my income this year Winston would have helped this team more than Garcon, Morgan. Particularly when you consider there were better WRs than Garcon, Morgan on the market for less money.

A knee-jerk reaction now such as trading away Cooley for another stop-gap at RT would be like adding insult to injury to Redskins nation...first neglect the oline and put RGIII's development in jeopardy then trade away a fan favorite who still fills a need.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:00 PM   #36
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30gut View Post
Interesting.......
2.) FA OL/RBs?

3.) Joe Barksdale OL/ Mike Mitchell S

I would feel that the FO did not properly prioritize addressing the RT with a solid starter earlier during the offseason.
And with Jammal Brown's injury situation that they are now backed into a corner and are forced to trade for a marginal player/stop gap player at RT that was available via FA this offseason without having to trade anything.
I would love to have Barksdale but reports that I have read say that the Raidahs are hoping that he will replace Barnes anyway. Thus it is Barnes who is more likely on the trading block.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:02 PM   #37
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
I agree. But it's good business to keep the options open. This is probably the very last opportunity to get anything for Cooley. After 2012, he's likely going to be on a series of "TE for hire" one year contracts, be they here or elsewhere. Which means no matter what we decide to do with him this month, we can have him back if we want him next year.
This is true. We're riding a razor's edge to get anything for Cooley now, much less in the future.
We won more with Vinny
Old 07-30-2012, 01:02 PM   #38
CultBrennan59
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goat View Post
The FO already screwed the pooch when it blew it's FA wad (knowingly) on WR, badly neglecting the tackle position. I would bet my income this year Winston would have helped this team more than Garcon, Morgan. Particularly when you consider there were better WRs than Garcon, Morgan on the market for less money.

A knee-jerk reaction now such as trading away Cooley for another stop-gap at RT would be like adding insult to injury to Redskins nation...first neglect the oline and put RGIII's development in jeopardy then trade away a fan favorite who still fills a need.
I agree, we definitely overpaid for Garcon, and Morgan I didn't want because he was coming off a broken ankle. That right there is a signing that we could have avoided and of been able to offer more money to winston. And I just find it surprising that he-Winston- didn't want to come here. There has to be more to the story like he knew we didn't have the money, or he didn't like Kyle Shanahan or something.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:05 PM   #39
12thMan
MVP

I believe the FO did their due diligence and considered all contingencies when they made WR a priority over RT. You know, you hope for the best. You hope everybody shows up healthy and they're ready to rock and roll.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:07 PM   #40
REDSKINS4ever
Playmaker

It would be nice if Bruce Allen was talking to the Raiders about trading for tackle Bruce Campbell. The Redskins are going to need young help at right tackle. Bruce Campbell is very athletic and a decent blocker that can also play in the interior of the line.
REDSKINS4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:11 PM   #41
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSKINS4ever View Post
It would be nice if Bruce Allen was talking to the Raiders about trading for tackle Bruce Campbell. The Redskins are going to need young help at right tackle. Bruce Campbell is very athletic and a decent blocker that can also play in the interior of the line.
they already traded him. Bruce was a project and never even started a game for the Raiders

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:11 PM   #42
Monkeydad
Living Legend

I was high on Campbell out of college but he doesn't seem to be playing up to his expectations. Still, I'd take a shot on him, maybe a change in environment will get him right.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:12 PM   #43
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSKINS4ever View Post
The Raiders already traded Campbell to the Panthers.
We won more with Vinny
Old 07-30-2012, 01:12 PM   #44
The Goat
Pro Bowl

[QUOTE=CultBrennan59;927396]I agree, we definitely overpaid for Garcon, and Morgan I didn't want because he was coming off a broken ankle. That right there is a signing that we could have avoided and of been able to offer more money to winston. And I just find it surprising that he-Winston- didn't want to come here. There has to be more to the story like he knew we didn't have the money, or he didn't like Kyle Shanahan or something.[/QUOTE]

I think you're probably right there's more to the story. I think Smoot mentioned Winston would not negotiate w/ us. Kinda strange when we just brought in a talent like RGIII.

That's one thing about Garcon that irked me...in interviews when asked about whether RGIII was part of his desire for signing here Garcon said it wasn't, in fact he's kind of diffident toward the excitement around our franchise QB. I hope he does well since he's on the roster, in fact I hope he breaks 1000 yards and has 8+ TDs because otherwise his signing isn't justified.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:13 PM   #45
CrustyRedskin
Playmaker

Lets trade them Kyle Shanahan for an old Al Davis wind suit. Straight up Baby!! But must be pre and post game worn. Everybodys a winner.

HTTR. You wern't a bunch of losers on 10-27-14.
CrustyRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote