Gore Wins Nobel Peace Prize

Parking Lot

Old 10-12-2007, 02:42 PM   #31
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Re: Gore Wins Nobel Peace Prize

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBurgundy View Post
I'm not rich but I'd gladly pay more taxes if they want to start using them effectively. (i.e. not on funding ridiculous projects and insane defense contracts)

You're probably in a BIG minority on that one.

How about we start using the already too-high taxes collected on useful things like defense and the environment only instead of research on animal sex and condoms for kids, funding one-sided public radio and TV stations (NPR/PBS) and building bridges to nowhere.

The Bridge to Nowhere: A National Embarrassment

We pay MORE than enough in taxes, but it's misappropriated and misused. We don't need more tax hikes, we need new representatives, but so many people vote for incumbents simply because they're incumbents.
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 10-12-2007, 02:43 PM   #32
Monksdown
The Starter

or dont vote.
Monksdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 02:45 PM   #33
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
I'm not rich but I'd gladly pay more taxes if they want to start using them effectively. (i.e. not on funding ridiculous projects and insane defense contracts)
The problem in DC is not the amount of money they have but how it is spent and all the wast that goes on. I'm not willing to give them another penny of my money if I do not have to. Thats coming from a person who just 2 days ago was told after all the taxes I paid last year still owes them $6,800 and I'm like you I'm far from rich.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 02:47 PM   #34
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
He was VP for 8 years and what changes beside inventing the internet? What would Gore do if he was in office?
Nothing beneficial.

High taxes, suffocating environmental constraints on American corporations forcing them to charge us more or go under (or move to China/India/Mexico) and he'd probably treat terrorism like the President he served under, so back to Americans being murdered worldwide with nothing being done about it.

He's a puppet to some scientists with an agenda. If he wasn't getting rich with his "The Earth is Burning" tour, he wouldn't do it. He obviously doesn't really care about the environment with his lifestyle.

Besides, where was he in the 1970s when we were entering an ice age?
Another Ice Age? - TIME

Oh yeah, he was inventing the internet.

He saw a financial opportunity and took it. He's no hero.
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 03:53 PM   #35
saden1
MVP

The politicians are a reflection of the people. When you have people like Hilary and Rudy talking about each other in their respective party debates instead of the merits of why they should be elected you have to wonder about the public. People don't vote their conscious anymore, they vote for whose they think is the lesser of two evils.

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 03:53 PM   #36
BleedBurgundy
Playmaker

Quote:
I think that's the important part of what I wrote.

Re: Gore's potential policies putting a stranglehold on American corporations

American Corporations are putting a stranglehold on Americans. Special interests and lobbyists are the new policy makers, not the average citizen. If Gore wanted to put much more strict rules on, say, automakers, I'm all for it. Or if he were to force manufacturing firms to cut down on pollutants by appreciable margins. OR say improving health care so that we have a system the most advanced nation in the world deserves. Would such changes be extremely difficult? YES. Would maintaining this status quo on the road to hell be easier in the short term? Possibly. Is everything going to cost more? YES, it will regardless of policy, make no mistake. Are jobs going to be outsourced? YES. Unless there is policy written to counteract that. Say what you want but keeping american jobs in america was supposed to be a bed rock principle of this administration. Tell me that's happened.

Thomas Paine
BleedBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 03:59 PM   #37
saden1
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
High taxes, suffocating environmental constraints on American corporations forcing them to charge us more or go under (or move to China/India/Mexico)...
I take it you would be for a national health care system then? Cause that's one huge factor that's killing American corporations (except for Pharmaceuticals and HMOs of course).

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 04:05 PM   #38
BleedBurgundy
Playmaker

Is anyone else sick of hearing about terrorism? I mean, let's be honest. I know we were attacked 6 years ago and it was a horrible event. (I was in the Navy before and during the attack, I chose to serve my country before any Sept 11 upswell in patriotism, so don't question my loyalty here) But that attack was probably the most beneficial thing that could have happened to all of the Neo-Conservative Defense Contractors and the people (i.e. politicians) they employ. How many shady policy decisions have been made under the guise of defending freedom and stopping terrorism? I don't want to hear that word in the next election. We have the strongest, most highly trained, most well equipped military in the world and it's not going to shit no matter who's in power, no matter what FOX News tells you. We've spent 6 years focused on nothing but national defense. Let's take care of some other pressing needs. Examples would be Healthcare, Social Security Reform, Drug Policy, Education Reform, etc...

Thomas Paine
BleedBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 04:14 PM   #39
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
I think that's the important part of what I wrote.

Re: Gore's potential policies putting a stranglehold on American corporations

American Corporations are putting a stranglehold on Americans. Special interests and lobbyists are the new policy makers, not the average citizen. If Gore wanted to put much more strict rules on, say, automakers, I'm all for it. Or if he were to force manufacturing firms to cut down on pollutants by appreciable margins. OR say improving health care so that we have a system the most advanced nation in the world deserves. Would such changes be extremely difficult? YES. Would maintaining this status quo on the road to hell be easier in the short term? Possibly. Is everything going to cost more? YES, it will regardless of policy, make no mistake. Are jobs going to be outsourced? YES. Unless there is policy written to counteract that. Say what you want but keeping american jobs in america was supposed to be a bed rock principle of this administration. Tell me that's happened.
I get so tired of this complaint that American Corps are out sorcing jobs like we have no blame. What kind of car do you drive, who made your toaster, lamps, furniture, etc... We as Americans have been out sourcing jobs for a long time so if you home is full of out sourced goods then stop complaining.
Old 10-12-2007, 04:16 PM   #40
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Is anyone else sick of hearing about terrorism? I mean, let's be honest. I know we were attacked 6 years ago and it was a horrible event. (I was in the Navy before and during the attack, I chose to serve my country before any Sept 11 upswell in patriotism, so don't question my loyalty here) But that attack was probably the most beneficial thing that could have happened to all of the Neo-Conservative Defense Contractors and the people (i.e. politicians) they employ. How many shady policy decisions have been made under the guise of defending freedom and stopping terrorism? I don't want to hear that word in the next election. We have the strongest, most highly trained, most well equipped military in the world and it's not going to shit no matter who's in power, no matter what FOX News tells you. We've spent 6 years focused on nothing but national defense. Let's take care of some other pressing needs. Examples would be Healthcare, Social Security Reform, Drug Policy, Education Reform, etc...
Non of those do me any good if I'm DEAD. We had a president that did that and we were attacked 4 to 5 times and the 5 time they really got us good.
Old 10-12-2007, 09:58 PM   #41
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
I'm saying that if he brings up a topic and starts enough discussion to the point that you ask yourself that question, it's a positive. As positive as if he were "walking the walk?" No. But I'm not certain that what's been said regarding his personal habits is entirely true. There's alot of misinformation out there on both sides.
But he doesn't want discussion. Or not really a discussion in the traditional sense. He and the rest of the global warming doomsayers want nothing to do with a rational discussion. They have either already made up their minds and commited extensive resources and/or personal credibility or they are part of a growing sect of science that has picked the side which guarnatees them the most money/success regardless of truth or science. There is a counter group too by the way funded by big oil types. Neither of these groups wants a true discussion of the science here. They want to force one point of view down everyone's throat when neither point of view has much in real hard science to support it unconditionally.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 10:13 PM   #42
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
oh my...
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 02:30 AM   #43
Redskin
Impact Rookie

he won a peace prize then the world is truely coming to an end. the mans an idiot, anyone who watches him debate can see thishe is no more then a spokes person. South park tells it how it is, Go save the world from manbearpig im super serial mr. gore.
#21#RIP Sean Taylor a TRUE Redskin#21#
<--Hey wheres my green approval rating?
Redskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 02:47 AM   #44
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog1 View Post
It has no real meaning since "Master Terrorist" Yasser Arafat recieved the award.

At a ceremony in Oslo, Norway on December 10, 1994 Yasser Arafat, master terrorist, was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize. The prize was awarded jointly to Arafat, Israel's Prime Minister Yitzhak Rabin and Foreign Minister Shimon Peres "for their efforts to create peace in the Middle East." The three were granted the prestigious prize, prematurely as it turned out, for their roles in the historic Oslo Accords signed the previous year and their committment to the Peace Process envisioned by the Accords. After generations of warfare and terrorism, it seemed peace was at hand.

There has been much negative press suggesting Gore's lifestyle does not support his.......Green acclaims. Gigantic inefficient house's, private jets, HUGE carbon footprints trampling all he claims to be protecting, etc.

BTW, if you are considering Gore as your guy, the National Repulican commitee has asked me to notify you, that your Republican license to practice in this hemishere has been revoked.....forever.
Congrats, you are now a Dem
I do not care who wins the nobel peace prize, mainly because of Arafat winning it years ago...but it seems to be more a joke than anything.

I have read about that lifestyle that Gore leads as well, and considering the massive amount of "truth stretching" he did in his first campaign (or flat out dumb comments like "I invented the internet") it leads me to believe that he is full of shit. He craves attention. (just look at the manbearpig fiasco...lol, jk) He'd be an absolutely horrible choice, and there are plenty of Dems I'd vote for over him...then again, if I EVER vote for a dem, just shoot me on the spot!
Old 10-13-2007, 03:08 AM   #45
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskin View Post
he won a peace prize then the world is truely coming to an end. the mans an idiot, anyone who watches him debate can see thishe is no more then a spokes person. South park tells it how it is, Go save the world from manbearpig im super serial mr. gore.
That's funny...I didn't see your post, but obviously we are on the same wave length cause I just made a comment about manbearpig too. LOL.

I wouldn't take the "award" seriously. There have been several questionable winners. Gore is just the latest. And while I agree with his climate issues, why would you get a "peace" prize for it. It has nothing to do with peace, it has to do with our environment.

Arafat is probably the worst award winner ever, but there are other "not so good" picks too.

ElBaradei won a few years back for his efforts to prevent nuclear ability in the military (like he did anything significant), and yet he's a nuclear energy advocate. So it's OK to have it, just not use it for military reasons. OK...that's like saying, hey, here's a condom and a willing beautiful woman, but you can't have sex with her.

Back about 20 years ago, some group called Physicians for the prevention of nuclear war won...no one really knows why either, other than, it's a cool "peaceful sounding" name.

El Sadat in the late 70's.

Sakharov in 75, he was a russian nuclear physicist for pete's sake. He gave Russia a lot of information that could have killed hundreds of thousands, and he wins a peace prize?

Don't remember any that won before that other than Kissinger won, and MLK won one.

There are some that did deserve it, but the idiots that won kind of make the "award" a joke.