Advertisements
Old 05-29-2012, 03:20 PM   #32
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Re: The Home Repairs Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeydad View Post
My turn. Estate washer made by Whirlpool:

Never had an issue with it until last night. It filled up with water but won't go to the next cycle to agitate/spin. It also will not drain. I checked the breaker first because it wasn't doing anything at all, it was fine. After resetting, it will produce a clicking sound with an occasional straining sound but won't start spinning on any setting. Turned the knob to rinse to get it to spin and drain, no luck. I'll have to shopvac the water out but does anyone have an idea before I just replace it? My first inclinations are the timer switch that activates when you close the lid, or something motor-related like a motor coupling, not he entire motor though. I do not think this washer has a belt system.

Estate Washer Questions - Appliance Repair Forum
Old 05-29-2012, 03:34 PM   #33
firstdown
Living Legend

I have an Estate Frig that I got from my grandmothers estate.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 03:47 PM   #34
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
water pump is most probable
That would prevent the drum from spinning too or just the drainage issue?

My wife was using it all day no problems...just stopped.

Could it just be a clog? Sock stuck somewhere?

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
I have an Estate Frig that I got from my grandmothers estate.
Thanks for your input.
Old 05-29-2012, 03:49 PM   #35
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
I saw that exact thread earlier...sounds JUST like mine...which is why I'm thinking about the timer switch.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:34 PM   #36
FRPLG
MVP

Had the same issue in our whirlpool. Seems very much like a motor issue or some type of switch issue to a layman. Repair guy without even taking a look when he showed up was pretty sure it was the water pump. It sounded nuts to me (very much a layman) since my notion of a pump issue wouldn't involve just a plain dead washer. He replaced the pump for a reasonable amount of money and bingo it was all fixed. I guess the pump in some way is integral to the overall functioning of the machine. He said it is the most common issue.

One thing to try....get a lot of the water out of the machine and see if then will run. Ours did but then wouldn't again under a full load of water.

I got a good look at the pump and the damn thing looked like a serious POS. All plastic in a cheap way. Surprised that what turns out to be such an important piece of the machine was so cheap looking.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 05:12 PM   #37
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

Quote:
Had the same issue in our whirlpool. Seems very much like a motor issue or some type of switch issue to a layman. Repair guy without even taking a look when he showed up was pretty sure it was the water pump. It sounded nuts to me (very much a layman) since my notion of a pump issue wouldn't involve just a plain dead washer. He replaced the pump for a reasonable amount of money and bingo it was all fixed. I guess the pump in some way is integral to the overall functioning of the machine. He said it is the most common issue.

One thing to try....get a lot of the water out of the machine and see if then will run. Ours did but then wouldn't again under a full load of water.

I got a good look at the pump and the damn thing looked like a serious POS. All plastic in a cheap way. Surprised that what turns out to be such an important piece of the machine was so cheap looking.
They all look like that....I would say I have had very good luck with Whirlpool appliances....FWIW
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:50 AM   #38
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Well, it is fixed. Took a while but wasn't hard...most of the time was shopvaccing the tub of dirty water out, took about 10 trips to the bathroom to dump the vac.

I replaced the lid timer switch and also took the pump apart to find a baby sock wrapped around inside of it...clogging the whole drain line up. Spent extra time cleaning all of the parts up while it was apart so it runs and LOOKS new too.

I don't think the sock was the cause of the breakdown because it smelled and looked nasty like it was in there a while. My dad recommended the lid switch first too and he (and the link above by mredskins) was right.

Total repair cost was $42.97. Could have gotten the part for $30 online but I didn't want to wait. My wife has laundry to do!

Glad I didn't have to buy a new one. Fixing something yourself and saving half a grand is such a satisfying feeling.

Thanks for the advice. FRPLG - your pump suggestion made me take a look down there for clogs...good job.

Had some trouble getting the cabinet back on so I pulled up a Youtube video of some British guy with the same washer and there was a trick to it...was easy then. Times like these make me love the internet.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:28 PM   #39
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Awesome I love the feeling of fixing something myself and saving big $$$.

Of course on the flip side I have tried to fix things and end up spending money then still having someone else come out.

You can go hero to zero really fast in the DIY world.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:51 PM   #40
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeydad View Post
Well, it is fixed. ... Had some trouble getting the cabinet back on so I pulled up a Youtube video of some British guy with the same washer and there was a trick to it...was easy then. Times like these make me love the internet.
Another "Internet saved me money & grief on repairs" Couple years ago, during a sewing emergency (don't ask!), my wife's sewing machine stopped working at 2:00 a.m. on a project needed at 8:00 a.m.

I got on the internet, goggled the make/model - came up with post with diagrams explaining the problem as a common one caused by a jammed gear. Disassembled the sewing machine, found the issue exactly as described/shown, fixed it, reassembled it and had it working all in ~45 minutes.

Fixed a TV per the internet also. Truly amazing the info that is out there.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:51 PM   #41
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Yeah, I was going to limit myself to this one part, one attempt then just replace it. This was a cheap part. I had the actual timer part quoted at $155 to me...and motors run at least $100. Not worth it to put hundreds into an old washer when I can get a new one for not much more.

I managed to do this job without gettiing hardly any water on the floor too....miraculously. I had a paint tray and a shopvac ready when I took the hose off the pump...I held it over the tray and shoved the vacuum hose right into the washer hose.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:50 PM   #42
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
Another "Internet saved me money & grief on repairs" Couple years ago, during a sewing emergency (don't ask!), my wife's sewing machine stopped working at 2:00 a.m. on a project needed at 8:00 a.m.

I got on the internet, goggled the make/model - came up with post with diagrams explaining the problem as a common one caused by a jammed gear. Disassembled the sewing machine, found the issue exactly as described/shown, fixed it, reassembled it and had it working all in ~45 minutes.

Fixed a TV per the internet also. Truly amazing the info that is out there.
I wonder how anyone ever fixed anything before the internet. The number of things I have fixed or made directly through internet advice is unknowable at this point.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 05:22 PM   #43
firstdown
Living Legend

I'll have to agree with the internet and repair tips and directions. I have used it for help with car, boat, and several appliance repairs. I know I have saved over a grand the past several years just on the few appliance repairs I made on my own. Then comes the satisfaction of fixing something on your own.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 06:26 PM   #44
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Quote:
I wonder how anyone ever fixed anything before the internet. The number of things I have fixed or made directly through internet advice is unknowable at this point.
We didn't ... we either pulled it apart to try and fix it, breaking irreparably in the process, or we called a repairman.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:07 AM   #45
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Yeah, there was a lot more trial and error, a lot more busted knuckles and cursing and a lot more money spent, time wasted and happy repairmen.

I used to rely on Chilton's and Haynes manuals for car repair, now I just sign up for a car forum every time I change cars. You get tips from people who have already done the cursing and breaking parts on their own.