Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Debating with the enemy

2022 Midterms thread

Debating with the enemy

Old 11-03-2022, 01:36 PM   #1
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Re: 2022 Midterms thread

I get to vote for local Board of Ed this year for my zone. I did research on candidates and perhaps I should put this under grinds my gears but since it is an election I will post it here.

Maggie Litz Domanowski sent me a mailing her priority transparency for parents on what is being taught in Baltimore County. The reason I have issue with this is every parent already has access to every lesson being taught in BCPS in their students class. Every lesson is posted on Schoology and the students can access as well as parents whenever they want. The reason a parent won't know what is going on is because they are not taking the time to sit with their kids and say show me what you are learning. These are lazy parents that are not vested in their kids I fail to see why we need to designate more resources supporting these fear mongering lazy parents. I emailed her and told her she needs to quit defending lazy parenting. I haven't seen a reply yet.
Old 11-04-2022, 10:21 AM   #2
SunnySide
Playmaker

(Reuters) - Alabama’s state Senate passed a bill on Tuesday to outlaw nearly all abortions, creating exceptions only to protect the mother’s health, as part of a multistate effort to have the U.S. Supreme Court reconsider a woman’s constitutional right to an abortion.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKCN1SK13E

JACKSON, Miss. — As attorneys argued about abortion laws across the South on Tuesday, a Mississippi judge rejected a request by the state’s only abortion clinic to temporarily block a law that would ban most abortions.

Without other developments in the Mississippi lawsuit, the clinic will close at the end of business Wednesday and the state law will take effect Thursday.

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/0...judge-00044133

13 States (alabama, mississippi, missourri, idaho, oklahoma, s dakota, texas, louississiana, wisconsin) have total bans on abortion, most wout exceptions for rape or incest.

8 more states have total bans or bans after 6 weeks but that is blocked by court but i assume will pass.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...oe-v-wade.html
SunnySide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 10:28 AM   #3
SunnySide
Playmaker

(8) A prohibition on abortion at any point or points in time prior to fetal viability, including a prohibition or restriction on a particular abortion procedure.

(9) A prohibition on abortion after fetal viability when, in the good-faith medical judgment of the treating health care provider, continuation of the pregnancy would pose a risk to the pregnant patient’s life or health.

(10) A limitation on a health care provider’s ability to provide immediate abortion services when that health care provider believes, based on the good-faith medical judgment of the provider, that delay would pose a risk to the patient’s health.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-...bill/3755/text

This is from the symbolic Bill dems tried to pass.

It does not seek to allow abortions at any time .. it says fetal viability which has always been the standard under Roe.

Maybe you were referring on another bill ..
Old 11-04-2022, 12:35 PM   #4
SunnySide
Playmaker

Wisconsin Republicans, who have had a viselike grip on the Legislature since enacting the nation’s most aggressive gerrymander after their 2010 sweep of the state’s elections, make no apologies for pressing their advantage to its limits. Michels, the party’s nominee for governor, told supporters this week, “Republicans will never lose another election in Wisconsin after I’m elected governor.”

Former Rep. Reid Ribble, a Republican who served northeastern Wisconsin, said, “There’s a lot of complaining about gerrymandered House or state Assembly seats, and there’s some truth to that.”

“When you can win a majority of voters and have close to a third of the seats, it’s not true democracy,” said Greta Neubauer, the Democratic leader in the State Assembly. “We are very much at risk of people deciding that it’s not worthwhile for them to continue to engage because they see how rigged the system is against the people of the state in favor of Republican politicians.”

In northwest Wisconsin, the three incumbent Democratic legislators decided against running for reelection under new, more Republican-friendly maps. Under the old maps, Biden carried each of the districts, which are home to large numbers of unionized workers in paper mills, mines and shipyards. Under the new lines Republicans adopted last year, Trump would have won them all.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/wisconsin...125129138.html

Im feel like disengaging as well .. whats the point. States can have more democrat voters then republican but due to gerrymandering have no say.

Political system is broken.
Old 11-07-2022, 10:58 AM   #5
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post
Wisconsin Republicans, who have had a viselike grip on the Legislature since enacting the nation’s most aggressive gerrymander after their 2010 sweep of the state’s elections, make no apologies for pressing their advantage to its limits. Michels, the party’s nominee for governor, told supporters this week, “Republicans will never lose another election in Wisconsin after I’m elected governor.”

Former Rep. Reid Ribble, a Republican who served northeastern Wisconsin, said, “There’s a lot of complaining about gerrymandered House or state Assembly seats, and there’s some truth to that.”

“When you can win a majority of voters and have close to a third of the seats, it’s not true democracy,” said Greta Neubauer, the Democratic leader in the State Assembly. “We are very much at risk of people deciding that it’s not worthwhile for them to continue to engage because they see how rigged the system is against the people of the state in favor of Republican politicians.”

In northwest Wisconsin, the three incumbent Democratic legislators decided against running for reelection under new, more Republican-friendly maps. Under the old maps, Biden carried each of the districts, which are home to large numbers of unionized workers in paper mills, mines and shipyards. Under the new lines Republicans adopted last year, Trump would have won them all.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/wisconsin...125129138.html

Im feel like disengaging as well .. whats the point. States can have more democrat voters then republican but due to gerrymandering have no say.

Political system is broken.
Meant to comment on this when you posted it. Gerrymandering is such bullshit. Cheating without cheating.

I really wish all 50 states could have a non-partisan board or whatever, that created new districts from scratch that did not include any metrics about the party affiliations of the people in each proposed district.

Should simply be based on population areas or geographical areas. Maybe just divide the total population by the number of districts needed, then just chunk off the state/county/city/etc. into districts that have an equal amount of people. The chunks could just start at one corner of the district and expand out until the right number of people are covered. Then start the next district from that spot. I don't know if that's a great idea or not, but it's better than political gerrymandering.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 11:16 AM   #6
SunnySide
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
Meant to comment on this when you posted it. Gerrymandering is such bullshit. Cheating without cheating.

I really wish all 50 states could have a non-partisan board or whatever, that created new districts from scratch that did not include any metrics about the party affiliations of the people in each proposed district.

Should simply be based on population areas or geographical areas. Maybe just divide the total population by the number of districts needed, then just chunk off the state/county/city/etc. into districts that have an equal amount of people. The chunks could just start at one corner of the district and expand out until the right number of people are covered. Then start the next district from that spot. I don't know if that's a great idea or not, but it's better than political gerrymandering.
Gerrymandering must be so frustrating in purple states.

Wisconsin - 42% republican, 42% dem ... but Republicans will have 2/3 of the state reps bc of maps drawn by republican drawn maps

North Carolina - 43% Dem, 41% republican ... seats are 8 R, 5 Ds and if the new republican maps get approved (also adding 1 seat) it will be 10 Republicans 4 Dems

Were just a bunch of tribal idiots at this point
Old 11-07-2022, 11:22 AM   #7
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post
Gerrymandering must be so frustrating in purple states.

Wisconsin - 42% republican, 42% dem ... but Republicans will have 2/3 of the state reps bc of maps drawn by republican drawn maps

North Carolina - 43% Dem, 41% republican ... seats are 8 R, 5 Ds and if the new republican maps get approved (also adding 1 seat) it will be 10 Republicans 4 Dems

Were just a bunch of tribal idiots at this point
I just wish doing what was right and fair was the most important factor in how politics worked. Doesn't sound like it's asking for too much, but it most certainly is. I'm still going to vote in every election, but it's moreso because I feel like it's an obligation/responsibility to go vote and not because I'm excited to do so or think anything will actually change.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 11:50 AM   #8
Giantone
Gamebreaker

The New York Times
Republicans Fed Cycle of Misinformation About Pelosi Attack

https://news.yahoo.com/republicans-f...124154018.html

must make republicans proud!
Old 11-05-2022, 04:11 PM   #9
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Lets be honest nonniey, how many women do you think exist in America that would carry a pregnancy for 6+ months dealing with all the daily issues and then decide on a whim they don't want the baby anymore? Most of all third trimester abortions are due to fetus viability or the life of the mother being at risk.

You're talking about women who have spent 6+ months preparing their home for a child, spending lots of money on doctor visits making sure the pregnancy is going to plan, getting emotionally attached/picking names/etc. only to decide in the 4th quarter they would kill an innocent child with no health issues? You can make the most legitimate argument you want this is a scenario that happens too often in America and I'd still think you're fucking crazy. It's an argument that is not based in reality. Feel free to keep trying though.
Old 11-05-2022, 08:28 PM   #10
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
Lets be honest nonniey, how many women do you think exist in America that would carry a pregnancy for 6+ months dealing with all the daily issues and then decide on a whim they don't want the baby anymore? Most of all third trimester abortions are due to fetus viability or the life of the mother being at risk.

You're talking about women who have spent 6+ months preparing their home for a child, spending lots of money on doctor visits making sure the pregnancy is going to plan, getting emotionally attached/picking names/etc. only to decide in the 4th quarter they would kill an innocent child with no health issues? You can make the most legitimate argument you want this is a scenario that happens too often in America and I'd still think you're fucking crazy. It's an argument that is not based in reality. Feel free to keep trying though.
But honestly Mooby most abortion, 94%, happen 15 weeks or prior. So with with the same logic: 15 weeks ban makes perfect sense then with the exception a mother life is in danger there after with 2 doctors signing off.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 11:03 AM   #11
nonniey
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
But honestly Mooby most abortion, 94%, happen 15 weeks or prior. So with with the same logic: 15 weeks ban makes perfect sense then with the exception a mother life is in danger there after with 2 doctors signing off.
It's actually 98% prior to 15 weeks.
nonniey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 10:59 AM   #12
nonniey
The Starter

Quote:

Goddamn how many times do I have to post the links that show there are 10-15K late term abortions every year and the majority are elective?????? You all accept the data when I post it and then seem to immediately dump that data from your memory.

That said if these abortions aren't occurring what's the f-ing problem with passing regulations that ban abortions that in your view aren't occurring???

And yet again (for about the 10th time on this board).

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6457018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muhL7dhUBqs
Old 11-06-2022, 11:18 AM   #13
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonniey View Post

That said if these abortions aren't occurring what's the f-ing problem with passing regulations that ban abortions that in your view aren't occurring???

Because others are telling women what they can and can not do with their own bodies. Your link has a few flaws in it, they spin the science just like the other side does . Your link is from these people.

https://lozierinstitute.org/about/

"The goal of the Charlotte Lozier Institute is to promote deeper public understanding of the value of human life, motherhood, and fatherhood."

The author of the opinion piece you use as factual Information has an agenda.
Old 11-07-2022, 07:49 AM   #14
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonniey View Post
Goddamn how many times do I have to post the links that show there are 10-15K late term abortions every year and the majority are elective?????? You all accept the data when I post it and then seem to immediately dump that data from your memory.

How's this for a fair trade off?

Outlaw 3rd trimester abortions (shit, even abortions after 20 weeks, IDC) except for cases where the mother's life or the fetus' life isn't viable, seems fair right?

The only problem with that argument is the large amount of conservative states that are actually trying to pass laws banning abortions with no exceptions. So fuck your stats and your position. Your opinions don't line up with the actual policies your party is trying to make law.
Old 11-07-2022, 09:17 AM   #15
nonniey
The Starter

Quote:
How's this for a fair trade off?

Outlaw 3rd trimester abortions (shit, even abortions after 20 weeks, IDC) except for cases where the mother's life or the fetus' life isn't viable, seems fair right?

The only problem with that argument is the large amount of conservative states that are actually trying to pass laws banning abortions with no exceptions. So fuck your stats and your position. Your opinions don't line up with the actual policies your party is trying to make law.
Well if the Feds pass a Federal law, example Grahams proposal, then the states couldn't do that.