2011 Season & 2012 Draft

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 09-20-2011, 10:27 PM   #31
Big C
Mr. Brightside

Re: 2011 Season & 2012 Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
There will be at least 5 QB that could go on the 1st round next year, the skins will pick one of them:

Luck-Stanford
Foles-Arizona
Moore- Boise State
Barkley-USC
Jones-Oaklahoma
kellen moore would be a great fit for this offense i think, but i dont think he goes in the first round due to questions about his arm strength.

landry jones, barkley, and luck are going to be very high picks, maybe all in the top 10. nick foles, im really not sold on him at all. i see him being a bust.

Advertisements
Old 09-20-2011, 10:30 PM   #32
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C View Post
kellen moore would be a great fit for this offense i think, but i dont think he goes in the first round due to questions about his arm strength.

landry jones, barkley, and luck are going to be very high picks, maybe all in the top 10. nick foles, im really not sold on him at all. i see him being a bust.
I'm sure this is why Shanahan passed on a QB this year, knowing that there will be more talent available next year.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 10:32 PM   #33
Big C
Mr. Brightside

robert griffin III from baylor would be a good fit imo if he leaves early.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:37 AM   #34
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Draft talk already? lil early

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 01:22 AM   #35
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C View Post

It's the same story every year. The next years draft is going to be the greatest QB draft ever, then suddenly draft day comes and it's all about next years group.

Landry Jones - Would have to win the National Championship to consider coming out. He's 50-50. Saw Bradford go number 1 despite missing most of his senior season so he's probably not to worried about dropping due to injury.

Matt Barkley - Opted not to transfer from USC after the scandal. Next year the bowl ban is lifted, I seriously doubt he leaves for the NFL as soon as USC becomes bowl eligible, and who knows, this time next year he could be playing under Pete Carroll again. Oh yeah, family's rich (played at a High School that cost over $40k to attend for four years). 99% chance he stays. People need to realize Barkley is very loyal to USC. Based on where he was born and where he played high school ball he's probably been a life long fan.

Now if Nick Folles continues throwing for 70%+ with his physical tools and the other two underclassmen stay like I expect them to then I could see Folles being a top 10 pick.

When it comes down to it though I fully expect to see the top of the class read out as Luck, Folles, and Moore. Not a bad class but for most teams thats really a two player class.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG

Last edited by Dirtbag59; 09-21-2011 at 01:28 AM.
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 09:55 PM   #36
musicmaster45
Special Teams

Ok Moore is also really small so that knocks his draft stock but reminds me of Schaub and his accuracy. Barkley won't come out... almost positive i agree 50/50 with Jones
Old 09-21-2011, 11:20 PM   #37
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmaster45 View Post
Ok Moore is also really small so that knocks his draft stock but reminds me of Schaub and his accuracy. Barkley won't come out... almost positive i agree 50/50 with Jones
I still can't get a read on where Moore is going to get drafted. If I was to play it safe though I would say he seems similar to Andy Dalton in terms of draft stock, but then again Andy Dalton's success in Cincy might convince scouts to bump those second tier prospects to the late first round. Maybe even the mid first round.

NFP describes Moore like this
Is Kellen Moore even worth a draft pick? | National Football Post
Quote:
But, when discussing his potential in the NFL, in my mind it’s tough to give a high grade to a guy who is 5115 (5-feet and 11.5-inches) and doesn’t have the arm strength needed to make all the throws and drive the football down the field. Now to his credit he does do a nice job anticipating routes, staying in proper rhythm in the pass game and has a natural feel when the football needs to come out. Plus, his pocket awareness is very good as he’s subtle with his movements buying time in the pocket, maintains balance and transfers his weight well through the throw when he has time.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG

Last edited by Dirtbag59; 09-21-2011 at 11:22 PM.
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 11:52 PM   #38
GTripp0012
Living Legend

It's time to add Kirk Cousins to the group of first round quarterbacks as well.

It's hard to say if Barkley or Jones will come out (more confident that Jones will than Barkley), but this is such a loaded class of QBs. It's been a long time since we've seen five legit first rounders in a class.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:51 AM   #39
budw38
Playmaker

Too early to tell what we will need most , if I were to guess I would like to see MLB Burfict ( ASU ) or that big ( NT) Ta Amu ( Washington ) , or a top OL prospect . As far as qb Moore ( Boise St. ) , Very impressed everytime I watch him , maybe he falls into rd 2 ? We have Oaklands 4th rd and Minnesota's 6th so we should have a nice draft .
budw38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 12:05 PM   #40
skinster
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbedner3420 View Post
Random question for SS: has Snyder started searching for a new coach?

LaVar mentioned on his show today that he had reputable sources inside redskins park that snyder is so dissatisfied with shanahan that he has already started to talk to coaches... Any truth to that? If true, I'm going to be so pissed!
What is LaVar going to talk about if the skins start to win? I guess he'll just start making stuff up.

I also highly doubt he has any sources in redskins park. He didn't exactly leave on good terms, all he does is bash the ownership/organization, and he undeserving claims to be one the the great redskins of the modern era.
skinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 12:13 PM   #41
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Shanahan is terrible at "Suck for Luck." We need to start losing! /sarc
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 12:14 PM   #42
skinster
Impact Rookie

I accidentally started a new thread about the 2012 draft not seeing this one, I'm just copying and pasting my op from the other thread that got closed down.

I just briefly checked over 5 2012 draft analyst sites, and I gotta say, things are looking very good for the skins. I want to preface with what I'm about to say with I know it is very early, things change, players don't come out, and we also don't know where we are going to draft, but at the same what I saw is still encouraging for the time being.
I'd say that from a drafting perspective, the positions we need to look at are WR, ILB, and QB. I tried to average all the sites I looked at out and it seems like there will be about 4 first round WRs, 3 first round ILBs (and at least one 4-3 olb that we might be able to convert), and 3 first round QBs. On top of that, I'd say corner and interior line would be our next priorities, with DL being a possibility also. It looked like there will be 4 first round corners, two first round guards, and 5 first round 3-4 DL. By my count, that's 10 players we could target, and 11 picks after that would contribute to our team (we'd probably just pick best player available.

If you don't care about why I think these positions are important, stop reading now.

WR-obviously we don't have any bonefide studs, but we do have ok depth. Moss is aging, gaffney is aging, Hankerson is too early to write off as being a number 1, but his zero catches isn't encouraging, and I think next year we will lose cooley. This is a draft pick for the future and the present.

ILB-Fletcher's contract is up and he is a million years old. Rocky's numbers look good, but I don't believe in him, and I don't think the skins FO does either. Our backups haven't done anything to show that they can fill in adequately as starters.

QB-Rex is doing fine now, but he is 31, and who knows how long he will keep up his good job.

CB-Hall, Wilson, Buchanon and possibly Barnes we have. Hall isn't a very technical cover man, he is an athlete and a gambler. He plays extremely hard/wrecklessly and I think this will impact his body quicker than it should. I don't think he will change his style of gambling or going for the big plays, but I think his athletic ability will dwindle soon and his playmaking ability will go with it as his knack for giving up big plays won't. Wilson hasn't done anything to impress me so far, and he's hurt all the time (plus he only has a 3 year deal). Barnes/Westbrook/others I don't think we can rely on to be starters down the road. Buchanon is in his last year with the skins imo.

DL- We are actually pretty good here imo with Jenkins, Coefield, Bowen, and Carriker if we re-sign him, but Jenkins might not recover well from his acl, and Carriker might not re-sign. But even if they do, it is always good to have depth/rotation players at DL. There seem to be about 5 players in the first that could play DL for us. If we don't like anyone at our target positions, and we really like someone at DL, I could see us taking one.

Interior linemen- Our interior line isn't too poor, but it could be better for sure. I honestly don't see shanny drafting any interior linemen, but I view it as a need so I put it there as a last resort option because I think he will take it over safety (laron and otagwe), OT (Williams, Brown), RB (hightower and Helu), TE (davis) and OLB (orakpo/kerrigan). I'd say if there is no DL we like at our spot, and we really like a guard, we'll take him. I think the battle between the 3 positions we might take but aren't a priority will come down to whatever player we are in love with the most (with CB having the slight edge over the other 2 due to shanny's past of not drafting interior o-linemen high, and our DL already being solid)
Old 09-22-2011, 12:54 PM   #43
CultBrennan59
Pro Bowl

If I were to draft for us right now, I'd get that Hosley kid from VT. The kid looks just like Revis at Pitt.

In the second round I'd get Kellen Moore. Look at Kurt Warner, and Ryan Fitzpatrick. Both were smart with weak arms. Warner was really accurate and smart, knowing where to throw and into the blitz. Kellen is the same way. The only difference between Kellen and Kurt is height, and passing arm (left for kellen, right for kurt). Kellen IMO is just another great player that's 'too small' or 'does have the big arm' that will get to the pros and dominate.

third round I'd get an ILB like Donta Hightower or a backup DE incase Jarvis takes a while to recover.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:35 PM   #44
skinster
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CultBrennan59 View Post
If I were to draft for us right now, I'd get that Hosley kid from VT. The kid looks just like Revis at Pitt.

In the second round I'd get Kellen Moore. Look at Kurt Warner, and Ryan Fitzpatrick. Both were smart with weak arms. Warner was really accurate and smart, knowing where to throw and into the blitz. Kellen is the same way. The only difference between Kellen and Kurt is height, and passing arm (left for kellen, right for kurt). Kellen IMO is just another great player that's 'too small' or 'does have the big arm' that will get to the pros and dominate.

third round I'd get an ILB like Donta Hightower or a backup DE incase Jarvis takes a while to recover.
I was pretty young when Kurt was a ram, but from what I remember, and what I was told, he used to have a cannon. I know he changed his game when he was a cardinal, but that came after years of experience.

Not a believer in fitzpatrick yet.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:41 PM   #45
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
It's time to add Kirk Cousins to the group of first round quarterbacks as well.

It's hard to say if Barkley or Jones will come out (more confident that Jones will than Barkley), but this is such a loaded class of QBs. It's been a long time since we've seen five legit first rounders in a class.
Plus there is some intriguing depth at the position. Guys like Tannehill and Cousins are making cases.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote