Locker Room Main Forum

Closed Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 11:04 AM   #31
Son Of Man
Impact Rookie

Re: Judge grants motion, lifts lockout; owners' appeal coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
Its my understanding that The teams can't agree on rules without violating antitrust laws. The judge ruled that the decertification of the union was legit; therefore 32 teams can't impose uniform rules on a non-unionized workforce.

Personally I'm hoping the circuit court grants a stay and the NFL wins an appeal. The players have too much power an the owners have none. The union can strike but the NFL can't lockout. It's not fair. This situation is just going to force the owners to make another bad deal.
Technically the owners do have the right to fire/release players. However, they don't wish to do that cause there is nothing stopping another club from picking them up. The lockout lets the owners retain their contract rights to players during the stopage which is probably why it was ruled illegal.

Advertisements
Old 04-26-2011, 11:11 AM   #32
Son Of Man
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin Walton View Post
DeMaurice Smith was just on Mike and Mike, the guy is a little weasel.
Mike was mostly pushing for an answer regarding trades and FA on draft day happening and all Smith would say is that the owners are losers and they lost in this they lost in that blah blah blah...what an annoying little lawyer twerp.
Gotta agree with this post here. He just comes across as an attention grabbing little troll. If the players want to keep the public on their side, they need a new front man.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:25 AM   #33
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

I'm still dumbfounded by some people. The ONE time a American work force an incredible leverage over a greedy corporation, and many of you want to favor the corporation? ...lol You all should be applauding their ability to tell this corporation to go **** themselves. Corporations have been screwing the American people for a long time now, it's about time somebody had fighting power against them.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:28 AM   #34
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Interesting twitter post here:

"MarkMaske
James Quinn, attorney for players, said he thinks free agency should begin within 24 hours or he "would have concerns" about collusion."
R.I.P. #21
Old 04-26-2011, 11:29 AM   #35
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
DeMaurice Smith was just on Mike and Mike, the guy is a little weasel.
Mike was mostly pushing for an answer regarding trades and FA on draft day happening and all Smith would say is that the owners are losers and they lost in this they lost in that blah blah blah...what an annoying little lawyer twerp.
Agreed. I am certainly on the owners' side in this, but as much is due to the fact that I feel the NFLPA top brass just feel like they can do whatever they want and blatantly lie about the facts. (not that the owners haven't stretched things too. ) Here is the wapo article with D. Smith's comments:
NFL lockout aftermath: DeMaurice Smith says there’s ‘chaos’ - The Early Lead - The Washington Post

Quote:
“I read the commissioner’s [Wall Street Journal] op-ed this morning and my only conclusion is that it’s bizarre. To say that the players don’t want a draft and don’t want football...we didn’t lock ourselves out. We didn’t game the TV contracts to hurt us. And if he truly believes that the draft is something we’re attacking, then I don’t know what’s going to happen on Thursday, but the last time I checked my calendar, the draft is scheduled to move forward.”
The NFLPA lawyers most certainly are attacking the draft. They can't stop this one, because it was in the last CBA, but certainly the lawsuit Brady v NFL attacks the legal foundation of a draft.

I am in the extreme minority because I would rather see a whole year of no NFL and let both sides learn some humility (unfortunately a lot of good people would be hurt by that and that is extremely unfair when these two sides are both doing very well by all accounts)
Old 04-26-2011, 11:31 AM   #36
Alvin Walton
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
I'm still dumbfounded by some people. The ONE time a American work force an incredible leverage over a greedy corporation, and many of you want to favor the corporation? ...lol You all should be applauding their ability to tell this corporation to go **** themselves. Corporations have been screwing the American people for a long time now, it's about time somebody had fighting power against them.
There was picture of Brandon Marshall's house on CNN yesterday.
When I see pictures like that I have a hard time agreeing with you.

I'm not enjoying seeing "the Man" get screwed if it means FA, trades and the NFL year is foxxored.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:36 AM   #37
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:

I'm not enjoying seeing "the Man" get screwed if it means FA, trades and the NFL year is foxxored.
I would say that players who make a lot of money such as Marshall, represent a small percentage of the people affected by this, when you add up your run of the mill bench warmer player, mid-to-low level league employees, coaching assistants, trainers, and mid-to-low level team employees.

If the league was full of players making Brady's or Manning's salary, it'd be one thing. But many people that are being furloughed, not being paid, or having their salaries cut don't make that type of money.
R.I.P. #21
Old 04-26-2011, 11:40 AM   #38
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:

So out of the 1500 players, you use Brandon Marshall as your example? For every idiot like him, there are many London Fletcher, Andre Carter, Phillip Daniels, Chris Samuels. Those guys are just magnified because it creates drama and drama sells papers and ratings.

*see post above mine in regards to discrepancies in the salaries*
Old 04-26-2011, 11:40 AM   #39
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
It's so clear where your biases lie, (i don't hide mine either) that the players could be 100% in the wrong, and you would still sing the virtue of "fighting the power". None of these guys (the ones pushing this fight) deserve respect because they all are self-obsessed ego-maniacs, regardless of the face they put on in public.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:42 AM   #40
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
I would say that players who make a lot of money such as Marshall, represent a small percentage of the people affected by this, when you add up your run of the mill bench warmer player, mid-to-low level league employees, coaching assistants, trainers, and mid-to-low level team employees.

If the league was full of players making Brady's or Manning's salary, it'd be one thing. But many people that are being furloughed, not being paid, or having their salaries cut don't make that type of money.
every player that stays in the league(not practice squad) 3 years will have made at least 1million dollars based on the previous CBA, not Manning money, but also not chump change. I agree about assistants, trainers and the non-player workers.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:43 AM   #41
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
None of these guys (the ones pushing this fight) deserve respect because they all are self-obsessed ego-maniacs, regardless of the face they put on in public.
I think we are in 100% total agreement here.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:43 AM   #42
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
Interesting twitter post here:

"MarkMaske
James Quinn, attorney for players, said he thinks free agency should begin within 24 hours or he "would have concerns" about collusion."
Well sh*t gas up Redskins One...this is the part of the season where we shine

He Gets Us
Old 04-26-2011, 11:48 AM   #43
Son Of Man
Impact Rookie

Quote:
I find it a stretch to infer professional athletes as an American Workforce fighting a greedy corporation/system. We are not talking about teachers in Wisconsin or auto workers in Detroit. We are talking about elite, high paid athletes (i think the league minimum is 300k+) who want to keep a higher share of revenue than the owners want them to have. I don't have a dog in this fight but I think it far fetched for aither party to play the victim.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:50 AM   #44
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son Of Man View Post
I find it a stretch to infer professional athletes as an American Workforce fighting a greedy corporation/system. We are not talking about teachers in Wisconsin or auto workers in Detroit. We are talking about elite, high paid athletes (i think the league minimum is 300k+) who want to keep a higher share of revenue than the owners want them to have. I don't have a dog in this fight but I think it far fetched for aither party to play the victim.
I agree with this, but there are other people that make regular salaries that are getting screwed by this lockout.

Also, I still think that teams will have long term effects b/c they were not able to deal in free agency, have offseason programs to install offenses/defenses, and make draft decisions w/o free agency.
R.I.P. #21
Old 04-26-2011, 12:25 PM   #45
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
@AdamSchefter Adam Schefter
Players have asked Judge Nelson judge to force NFL owners to start the league year. Judge ordered owners to respond by 5 pm. tomorrow.
One question, and it is probably naive. IF the judge forces the league to start a "league year", and forces them to put rules in place to operate, then HOW can the owners then be sued for anti-trust violations. I simply don't understand the players can have it both ways: you can't treat us like a collective group, however, you must behave like a collective group, and once you do we will sue you because you are acting like an illegal collective group.

I simply don't get it.
Closed Thread