Would you be ok with...

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 04-25-2011, 03:38 PM   #31
Defensewins
Playmaker

Re: Would you be ok with...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Can I get excited about Grossman or Beck (or Hasselbeck or Bulger...) leading this team? Definitely not. There's ZERO chance at a Super Bowl with any of those guys. So when it comes to QBs, take a shot, because you miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

If we don't come away with a QB in this draft, I COULD be OK with it but we MUST hit on those 1st and 2nd rounders with quality trench players on either side of the ball. Building the trenches first and finding a QB later does make some sense, look at the New York Jets.

But no position impacts the game like a QB, and in my estimation we're hopeless until we find the next guy capable of joining the Brady/Manning/Brees echelon. I'm not interested in a one-year run at a Super Bowl. I want to be on top for years with a consistent shot to win a title. Only the Peyton Mannings, Tom Bradys, and Drew Brees of the world do that for you.
Super Bowl? Playoffs? Playoffs?
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-25-2011, 03:38 PM   #32
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
[/B]

Why won't it? We're still the worst team in our division and we're only better than a few teams.
We're playing the NFC West this year. As the Cardinals showed last year, despite being terrible only got as high as 5. We could very well suck this year but it won't be bad enough to get the number one overall pick. Our best chance is if out of nowhere the new CBA brings about a lottery system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
I'm perfectly fine with not taking a QB at all in this draft. We have a long way to go in building this team, so I like the idea of building the foundation which, to me, is the defense and the OL. We can get our QB next year.
Bill Parcells would like to have a word with you

Quote:
Former Miami Dolphins team official Bill Parcells said he regrets drafting OT Jake Long over Atlanta Falcons QB Matt Ryan with the first overall pick in 2008, according to NFL.com. "Maybe, we should have (drafted Ryan instead)," Parcells, the Dolphins' former executive vice president of football operations, said. He also said the decision to draft former QB Pat White in the second round of the 2009 draft "violated our principles."
Bottom line, if you see a QB that you believe can be a franchise QB you don't pass on him because you don't have a perfect line to protect him. Falcons gave up something like 50+ sacks the year before they drafted Ryan.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 03:46 PM   #33
Swarley
The Starter

A late round pick used on a QB isn't "wasted". I'm sure you're all smart enough to realize that late round picks, regardless of position, are usually crapshoots to the extreme. I'm with Smoot, I'm ok if we dont take one in round 1 or 2, but I really hope we draft a QB at some point. We have no reason not to.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:04 PM   #34
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
I think the idea that we could trade up for Andrew Luck just needs to be forgotten right now. If a team is bad enough this coming year to earn the #1 overall pick (the pick it will take to get Andrew Luck) then that team is quite likely to need an answer at QB.

There's no way anybody trades out of that spot. It's just like Bradford with the Rams last year, they had offers on the table, but they saw him there and turned them all down.

The only way we get Andrew Luck next year is if we're the worst team in the NFL. That just won't happen.
This. Except instead of saying that we won't be the worst team this year, I'd say that no one here should WISH us to be the worst team this year. If you are rooting to draft Luck, turn in your Skins fan card right now.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 04:07 PM   #35
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
[/B]

Why won't it? We're still the worst team in our division and we're only better than a few teams.
Entirely possible I guess. I'm just playing the percentages, we have an easy schedule and we're better than a number of teams as currently constructed.

Either way though, my point stands. If we suck bad enough to get the 1st overall pick then we get Andrew Luck regardless and no trade is needed. If we suck only bad enough to get the 2nd pick (or any other pick) there's no way the team with the 1st will trade out of it.

Either way, trading up for Andrew Luck will not happen.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:12 PM   #36
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Just watched the Draft segment on SC with McShay. Here's what he's hearing.

-Newton will be the first pick in Carolina. Not confirmed yet but it seems like they're heading in that direction.

- Gabbert could go to Buffalo and Cincy but believes they'll both pass which results in him falling to Arizona

-Tennessee OC Chris Palmer (of David Carr in Houston fame) really likes Jake Locker and they might look to be one of St. Louis trade partners and trade back to 14. The thing is if they do decide to take Locker that they're worried about Washington at 10 and Minnesota at 12. So basically right now Locker is expected to go anywhere from 8 to 14.

- Dalton and Ponder have a chance to go in the first round but he believes without trades Ponder would go to Buffalo at 34 and Dalton would go to Cincy at 35.

So if McShay is right then here's what I see if we decide we want to come away with a QB in the first two rounds.

1. Either "reach" for someone at 10. The most likely candidate would be Locker.

2. Trade back and reach for Dalton or Ponder. Or if they like Locker see if he falls to where they trade back.

2a. Trade back, take someone like Kerrigan and use the extra pick gained in the trade back to trade up from 41.

3. Trade up using next years picks from 41 above Buffalo, Cincy, and Seattle to secure Dalton or Ponder.

4. Wait for one of the projects to fall in Kaepernick or Mallet at 41 or hope that Ponder experiences a Colt McCoy like dive.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 05:23 PM   #37
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Mallett won't last until 41, as for the 10th pick I want a QB. The NFL has changed , this isn't always draft OL or DL anymore. QB is more important now than ever especially with the latest rule changes, the redskins havnt had a young QB of the future in decades So yes we need to take one now
Old 04-25-2011, 05:54 PM   #38
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Over the last 20 years how many seasons has this team had outstanding QB play from start to finish? I can think of two seasons...Brad Johnson 1999 and Mark Rypien 1992. It's time to get a potentially great qb who can wins games.... and the only way to do that is to suck really bad in 2011 to have a chance to draft Luck in 2012.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 06:19 PM   #39
Meks
Pro Bowl

I be more than ok with it!
R.I.P #21SEAN TAYLOR
Meks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 06:30 PM   #40
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Over the last 20 years how many seasons has this team had outstanding QB play from start to finish? I can think of two seasons...Brad Johnson 1999 and Mark Rypien 1992. It's time to get a potentially great qb who can wins games.... and the only way to do that is to suck really bad in 2011 to have a chance to draft Luck in 2012.
I assume that our new cheer would go something like "Suck Skins Suck!". I dunno, it just doesn't feel right to me. I'm hoping that there's some other way to build a winner.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 06:35 PM   #41
Paintrain
Pro Bowl

I'd be ok with Mallett, Ponder or Locker (in that order) in the 2nd round, but I think we are picking Locker at 10 and that scares the hell outta me.

I'm not dead but this team is dead to me...but now that McCloughan is here they may have new life!

Jay Gruden = Zorny McSpurrier
Kirk Cousins = Next Grossman
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 06:46 PM   #42
Terpfan76
Special Teams

If we are going to reach for a qb at either 10 - Locker or 14 - Ponder/Dalton (if we trade back), I'd be much more comfortable reaching for Locker at 10. I just can't possibly see Ponder or Dalton being worth the 14th pick if that is what is being suggested. No way, no how.
Terpfan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:04 PM   #43
Swarley
The Starter

Quote:

you don't need the first overall pick in order to get a potentially great QB. Just look at the great QB of the League in the last decade and tell me who was a 1st overall pick.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:31 PM   #44
Landry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
Mallett won't last until 41, as for the 10th pick I want a QB. The NFL has changed , this isn't always draft OL or DL anymore. QB is more important now than ever especially with the latest rule changes, the redskins havnt had a young QB of the future in decades So yes we need to take one now
I couldn't agree with you more. As far as Mallett he definitely has a top 10 arm and I would take him at ten.
Landry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:37 PM   #45
GTripp0012
Living Legend

It would be bad if we didn't spend any of our picks on a quarterback. It's just not good to have no QBs under the age of 29 on your roster. Had pretty much that same problem last year. Worst thing that you can do in a non-competitive year is having no one (at all) to play.

How many times would the Cowboys have been to the playoffs since 2005 if they had Drew Bledsoe and Chad Hutchinson on their 2006 roster instead of Bledsoe and Romo? Never, maybe?

I'm okay with passing on all QBs in the draft and paying out a decent sized UDFA contract to a guy like Jerrod Johnson, but I'm not cool with just going into the season with Grossman and Beck alone.