Impact Rookie

Re: D Hall stepping up as a leader?

Hall - Pro Bowler (proven)

Fletcher - Borderline HOFer

Landry - Pro Bowler (2011)

Orakpo - BEAST

AH-Killing Us
AC#99 - just seems to come up short every play, I root for this guy but damn
NFC EAST CHAMPS RG3 will be back & #12 can run the show until hes ready.We are young w depth. 23,59,89 will all be back.Alfred Morris aka Diesel Hybrid ! @DCtoAZ81 ...2013 NFC CHAMPS
DCtoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-20-2010, 05:32 PM   #32
12thMan
MVP

Anyway....

D.Hall is on Lavar and Dukes right now. He's basically sticking to what he said, just clarifying a bit. He said him and Haslett are cool, they've worked together before and spoke right after the comments. He's saying he's starting to get his swag back and feels like he's capable of putting the team in a situation where they can win, and for him to not be in that situation is just frustration.

Basically he wants the game to put in the player's hands and not the coaching staff.

Said he's not stepping on anyone's toes on defense, no hard feelings, he's just getting back to playing ball like he did when he was in Atlanta.

Maybe it's just me but he's sounding like a professional who thinks this team is capable of winning.

Chris Cooley is about to be on for a full hour!! Damn, I gotta eat!
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 05:39 PM   #33
12thMan
MVP

Chris Cooley now weighing in. Saying he loved what D.Hall said and loves the fact that he has confidence. Cooley said the NFL is a world of political correctedness and sometimes guys like D.Hall get in trouble.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:43 PM   #34
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
Chris Cooley now weighing in. Saying he loved what D.Hall said and loves the fact that he has confidence. Cooley said the NFL is a world of political correctedness and sometimes guys like D.Hall get in trouble.
I basically agree...he's PISSED!! Spittin' nails PISSED..I hope the entire team is. We had that game in the book and let it get away....important to remember how it felt and use it next week
If this had happened last year, what would we have had? Party in the locker room? Guys laughing, joking around. HELL, we did have that...sad
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 05:50 PM   #35
12thMan
MVP

Cooley thinks the running game will get on track. Said he's confident that things will start clicking. Great things to say about Trent Williams.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:05 PM   #36
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

Well, possibly more than any team in the NFL, we have the potential to improve through the season. ALL of our coaches and many of our guys are new. Our systems and terminology are new. With familiarity will come vast improvement. Things will start to "click". It should show from one week to the next as the season progresses...................I hope
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 06:13 PM   #37
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

AS of right now we have the 32nd ranked Defense in game stats.. Not good, but LL and Rocky are both in the top 3 in tackles.
NFL Stats: by Team Category
Old 09-20-2010, 06:30 PM   #38
GridIron26
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag359 View Post
Agree, this is without a doubt Fletchers defense and God forbid if he were to go down right now it would be a toss up between Daniels and Orakpo. At this point though I think Landry is a lot closer to taking over as the teams defensive leader. At the very least Landry is the leader in the secondary.

Still corners are getting danerously close in personallity to their wide reciever counterparts. Actually if anything they've surpassed them. Part of that might be because a new breed of receiver has emerged. I rarely hear T.O like quotes from Andre, Calvin, Fitz, Boldin, and Wayne, even our own Santana stays quiet. We also saw Randy Moss not lowering himself to trash talk when Revis called him a slouch. All the while it seems like more and more trash talk is coming from corners these days.

I kind of like that Hall wants to do this, but he probably could have gone about it more tactfully. You don't really need people to know this on Monday, rather let the week develop so by the time the game rolls around on Sunday the announcers know and inform everybody watching. Then again how about we just go do it without any talk. Send them on a Hall-iday without making a big fuss to the media.
You hit nails on all points. Landry is emerging player, but I really don't see him as a leader.. A leader is suppose to be a role model for the team.. But again, what do I know, I don't even know Landry and what he is like in the locker.. It would be great if Landry actually becomes one, we need his fierce on the field to spread onto our defense players..

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscurmudgeon View Post
If a coach has to call a player into a meeting to ask the player to become a leader, the odds of that player becoming an effective leader are slim.
You are correct.. Out of all players, I would not have expected Shanahan talked to Hall about being a leader.. However, sometimes, some players need someone to push them outside their comfortable zone and be the one.. But then, that doesn't mean it will work out great..
GridIron26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 06:32 PM   #39
GridIron26
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
AS of right now we have the 32nd ranked Defense in game stats.. Not good, but LL and Rocky are both in the top 3 in tackles.
NFL Stats: by Team Category
We should expect it, after the way Schaub and Romo ripped our secondary apart.. I'm surprised to see Rocky being in top 3 in tackles.. If the stats really show how well Rocky is performing last two games, and continues to, then we really should start considering to extend his contract..
GridIron26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 06:56 PM   #40
saden1
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
Dear all Redskins fans,

As frustrated as you are that we lost, imagine what the D feels like. I invite all of YOU to STFU(as someone else so eloquently put it). Thank you D Hall for caring.

Sincerely,

Not saden1
I would rather see less talk, more plays from him. I don't care how he or the D feels...this is a multi-million-dollar-grown-men sport. If he's going to talk big he should play big like my man Revis....man coverage and two yards away from your face so he can ask you nicely for your lunch money.

Awful play calling by our defensive coordinator and I suspect he could find better ways to use Hall. Can Hall cover Johnson? I f'ing highly doubt it! Stop talking, go get it!

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 06:59 PM   #41
Longtimefan
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
He also said what Haslett says "doesn't matter." Yeah, um, wrong. It's the Redskins defense, D-Hall. And it's led by Fletcher. Let's not get it twisted. And you don't hear him mouthing off about the scheme.

I appreciate that Hall wants to be a leader, but don't do it through the media.
I agree that's not a leaders approach. It's not the right thing to say regardless of his good intentions.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:09 PM   #42
tootergray34
Impact Rookie

I don't think anyone is arguing that this is fletchers Defense...soon to be followed by Orakpo's Defense...that said...

Don't you guys think that if he really felt this way he would have stepped up and said something during the game that he wanted to man up with AJ? I mean I think he should have...talk is cheap let's see what he does...this could be the fire he needs for himself.
Old 09-21-2010, 01:33 AM   #43
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

funny how when d hall speaks out now.. vs one "bad play" it's cool

last year not so much

I'm cool with it though

just if you blamed hall's talk last year, portis in any of the last few, you should think about what you say
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 01:40 AM   #44
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootergray34 View Post
I don't think anyone is arguing that this is fletchers Defense...soon to be followed by Orakpo's Defense...that said...

Don't you guys think that if he really felt this way he would have stepped up and said something during the game that he wanted to man up with AJ? I mean I think he should have...talk is cheap let's see what he does...this could be the fire he needs for himself.
hard to say.. not like he was on fire with his own guy though.. a quick passer can help do that regardless of the D though

by what he's saying I doubt that he asked to be on Johnson, but I don't think that Haslett/Shanahan would've gone against their own calls anyways, they're pretty stubborn with personnel

it would be cool to see Hall at FS when the situation called for it though.. a guy that can eye a receiver AND be able to sit back and watch the play develop?

not to say we had an idea they were going for a TD bomb, but we knew it was a possibility if it opened up
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 02:52 AM   #45
Swarley
The Starter

For the first time, Hall revealed that Haslett considered changing plans late in the game to best utilize the Pro Bowl corner as Washington squandered the lead. "He started to make the adjustment [in the] middle of third quarter to [have Hall] go follow 80 [Johnson]," Hall said. But Haslett told Hall he "didn't want to do something I haven't practiced," Hall said.

When Hall said, "this my team. This my defense," he said he meant that he wants to shoulder much responsibility for the team, and players must perform on the field. "In the back of your mind, I think you always care what people think about you," Hall said. "I think my teammates know the message I'm trying to send. They understand where I'm trying to come from."

Redskins Insider - DeAngelo Hall clarifies his position on coverage plan
Swarley is offline   Reply With Quote