Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Ganther likely to start vs Oakland and other notes from Sherm Smith interview

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-09-2009, 02:53 PM   #31
PennSkinsFan
Impact Rookie

Re: Ganther likely to start vs Oakland and other notes from Sherm Smith interview

http://dcprosportsreport.com/2009/12/09/redskins-promote-ganther-to-starter.html

It's official. Even though we caught word a few days ago.

PennSkinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-09-2009, 05:58 PM   #32
Paintrain
Pro Bowl

RI: Ganther the new starting RB-Rock whines again

Redskins Insider - Zorn elaborates on RB rotation

I really want to like Rock, I do, but I don't get where he gets this impression that he's Jim Brown in waiting but he just hadn't gotten the chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Cartrwright
"It's kind of hard for a RB to get in a rhythm when you have five carries in the first half, then you don't carry the ball again until the second half," Cartwright said. "It's hard to produce that way. Going in the game [and] telling the back you're gonna take two series and this guy's gonna take two series, it's hard to get hot. You're doing RB by committee, you got to go off a feel, who's playing better. When you give somebody five carries in the first half, they don't play again until the second half, of course you can't expect somebody to go out and be fresh right then.

"It doesn't matter who it is. I think you have to give a RB the opportunity to get a rhythm. You can't go into the game saying, we're gonna give you two series, we're gonna give this guy two series, we're gonna give this guy two series. When you're doing RB by committee, you can ask any RB in the league, if you go in the game and you get five carries and not get another carry until the second half - what do they expect? I think I might've had five carries for 20-some-odd yards in the first series and then I don't carry the ball again until the second half? I mean, that's crazy."
2 points. First point-Why does he act like he's the best RB to never get a chance? He had opportunities and didn't capitalize on them. Deal with it, know your role and limitations and excel within them. Second point-If this was Portis or another highly paid player saying this fans would be ALL over him. Why does Rock get a pass?

Anyways, I hope Ganther does well and provides a solid presence in the running game..

I'm not dead but this team is dead to me...but now that McCloughan is here they may have new life!

Jay Gruden = Zorny McSpurrier
Kirk Cousins = Next Grossman
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 06:06 PM   #33
duetsch215
Special Teams

Re: RI: Ganther the new starting RB-Rock whines again

everyone in the NFL has an ego...they have to. And he is exactly right. You cant go into a game with a set plan of personnel and plays because it never happens the way you want it to. You have to play it by ear. That means that if anyone on your team is hot, keep them in there even if your play sheet says not to.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:07 PM   #34
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

I thought I heard that Rock told Zorn and Danny Smith that if he's not starting he would rather just play special teams.

Anyway, Rock fails to realize that the Redskins took advantage of Campbell's hot hand and the weaknesses in the Saints secondary. Meanwhile Rock had three carries for like 1 yard in the first half if I remember right. Ganther had two for 10 yards.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:07 PM   #35
mlmdub130
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain View Post

2 points. First point-Why does he act like he's the best RB to never get a chance? He had opportunities and didn't capitalize on them. Deal with it, know your role and limitations and excel within them. Second point-If this was Portis or another highly paid player saying this fans would be ALL over him. Why does Rock get a pass?

Anyways, I hope Ganther does well and provides a solid presence in the running game..
i would say he did in dallas, and isn't there already a rock\ganther thread

ST21
mlmdub130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 06:09 PM   #36
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Correction, he did have one carry that went about 15 yards. So it wasn't 1 yard. Either way, I understand his frustration but it's pretty clear that Ganther is more explosive
Old 12-09-2009, 06:11 PM   #37
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmdub130 View Post
i would say he did in dallas, and isn't there already a rock\ganther thread
There is I'm going to merge that one into this one since this one has more recent info
Old 12-09-2009, 07:19 PM   #38
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

Re: Ganther likely to start vs Oakland and other notes from Sherm Smith interview

Rock has always been a solid player in relief, and a great teams guy.
He has been years with the team and had............MANY coaching eyes observing him. You would think if he some as yet undiscovered and miraculous talent, it would have been noticed.
Close your mouth and do your job. Be happy you have the coolest job on the planet?
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 10:33 PM   #39
sportscurmudgeon
Playmaker

My problem with Thomas as the kick returner is that too often he gets stopped at or inside the 20. That is a killer; most of the time he is returning a kick because the other team scored; the offense needs field position.

Cartwright may not be a blazer, but in the last 5 years that he has been returning kicks, I don't think he's been stopped inside the 20 more than once or twice...
sportscurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 10:52 PM   #40
mlmdub130
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscurmudgeon View Post
My problem with Thomas as the kick returner is that too often he gets stopped at or inside the 20. That is a killer; most of the time he is returning a kick because the other team scored; the offense needs field position.

Cartwright may not be a blazer, but in the last 5 years that he has been returning kicks, I don't think he's been stopped inside the 20 more than once or twice...
while thats true why not see what he has the last few weeks, we really have nothing to lose, and while rock always gets it past the 20 he rarely gets it past the 35

ST21
Old 12-10-2009, 12:49 AM   #41
Eknox
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake84 View Post
That being said, i wonder if the skins will use a draft pick on a RB, or will they just go the way of trying to fill holes through free agency...
If so please let it be CJ Spiller he's a beast.
Eknox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 06:46 AM   #42
44Deezel
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake84 View Post
Cartwright just hasn't had the chance in the time he's been here....If he got the chance more often i guarantee he'd up his game.
Most teams platoon their backfield and get plenty of production from their backs, regardless of how many carries they give them. RBs need to produce whether they get 1 or 30 carries. That's the reality these days. The rhythm argument is bogus. It's the same excuse Campbell used when he was struggling earlier in the year.
44Deezel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 01:34 PM   #43
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

In other Oakland news...Haynesworth won't play. It's buy one basket get one free nacho night at Verizon Center
Old 12-10-2009, 01:49 PM   #44
mlmdub130
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
In other Oakland news...Haynesworth won't play. It's buy one basket get one free nacho night at Verizon Center
that sob, what about hall? he's gotta be ready to go by now right

ST21
Old 12-10-2009, 01:51 PM   #45
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmdub130 View Post
that sob, what about hall? he's gotta be ready to go by now right
haven't heard anything