Coronavirus (non political)

Parking Lot

Old 04-14-2020, 07:13 AM   #421
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Re: Coronavirus (non political)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake84 View Post
The plant where i work, we have enough toilet paper right now for close to three more months. We can't get any more. We have called vendors all over the country, and we are being told that it will be at least one year before the TP supply goes back to normal. We have closed one set of bathrooms as a result, to try and make it last longer. Almost everyone realizes that once we run out, that's it. There isn't anything we can do about it.
Sometimes I think you live in an alternate universe where foom and gloom are actually positive words.

Commercial TP outlets will actually be facing a glut because of all the business shut downs. There are several good articles out on how tp distribution chains and the coronavirus effect on them.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-14-2020, 07:25 AM   #422
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
The plant where i work, we have enough toilet paper right now for close to three more months. We can't get any more. We have called vendors all over the country, and we are being told that it will be at least one year before the TP supply goes back to normal. We have closed one set of bathrooms as a result, to try and make it last longer. Almost everyone realizes that once we run out, that's it. There isn't anything we can do about it.
Hire Buffalo as your TP Consultant. He will advise, strategize and seek shit paper. This thread is his commitment

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 08:11 AM   #423
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

Quote:
Pretty sure someone in purchasing has heard of McMaster Carr, they sell those industrial sized rolls, and as of right now have stock. Just a couple weeks ago they were quoting 7-8 weeks. It does say they may put limits on purchases.
Buffalo Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 08:16 AM   #424
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
Sometimes I think you live in an alternate universe where foom and gloom are actually positive words.

Commercial TP outlets will actually be facing a glut because of all the business shut downs. There are several good articles out on how tp distribution chains and the coronavirus effect on them.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
They won't have a glut if people keep hoarding. Places that normally don't buy from the commercial TP places are buying from them now. The guy that owns the local mini mart is selling commercial rolls now, he wasn't doing that before.
Old 04-14-2020, 08:37 AM   #425
MTK
\m/

There's plenty of TP available right now on Amazon. Granted it's a bunch of no name brands but who cares.
Old 04-14-2020, 08:40 AM   #426
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Bob View Post
They won't have a glut if people keep hoarding. Places that normally don't buy from the commercial TP places are buying from them now. The guy that owns the local mini mart is selling commercial rolls now, he wasn't doing that before.
There was a good article, sorry I don't have the link, that approximated 40% of the TP people use in normal times are commercial grade, meaning in stores/restaurants/businesses etc, not residential grade. These businesses are not using them nearly at that rate right now, and the commercial rolls will eventually be shifted to the residential distribution channels (ie walmarts/food stores/etc) but that will simply be filling the 40% that the commercial normally would have filled.

TP plants apparently run 24/7 through the year, and people aren't going to the toilet more now than before (and if anything are conserving TP to ensure they don't run out), so once the panic buying is over, people are going to find themselves with extra TP on hand, and the plants will continue chugging along making the same quantity as before. Thus a glut.
Old 04-14-2020, 08:57 AM   #427
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
There was a good article, sorry I don't have the link, that approximated 40% of the TP people use in normal times are commercial grade, meaning in stores/restaurants/businesses etc, not residential grade. These businesses are not using them nearly at that rate right now, and the commercial rolls will eventually be shifted to the residential distribution channels (ie walmarts/food stores/etc) but that will simply be filling the 40% that the commercial normally would have filled.

TP plants apparently run 24/7 through the year, and people aren't going to the toilet more now than before (and if anything are conserving TP to ensure they don't run out), so once the panic buying is over, people are going to find themselves with extra TP on hand, and the plants will continue chugging along making the same quantity as before. Thus a glut.
I am not saying that won't eventually happen, but I believe that glut is a long way out. The continued shortages are going to make hoarders out of people that normally would not hoard.
Old 04-14-2020, 09:07 AM   #428
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
I am not saying that won't eventually happen, but I believe that glut is a long way out. The continued shortages are going to make hoarders out of people that normally would not hoard.
Correct, but those "hoarders" aren't going to poop abnormally more than usual, and so they will have TP out coming out there ass once the panic ends (which should be sooner rather than later for people in this reality)

Using myself as an example - I had one 6 pack in the house for me and my son. At Food Lion 2 days ago they had re-stocked. I bought another 9 pack. I now have 15 rolls of TP which is going to last us for a good while. By the time I need to buy another roll of TP we should be well out of this. That means at the next restocking, another would be hoarder will get their safety rolls, and they will be set for longer than they normally would. But Charmin et al aren't going to cut back production, so once the storm has passed, and all these people are left with an oversupply, the system is going to catch up quickly because the demand at that point will be dramatically less.
Old 04-14-2020, 09:36 AM   #429
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

What I can't find any useful articles on is lysol or clorox type products. Walmart had 8 bottles of 1 gallon bleach the last time I went, which I got 1 for my mom.
Old 04-14-2020, 09:53 AM   #430
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

I am sure everyone's experience will vary depending on where they live. Around me people in the country panic buy every time they predict 1-2" of snow. They wipe out all the bread, eggs and milk. If you are unfortunate enough to be out and about when that snow does start to fall you will see behavior that boggles the mind, people actually start driving faster and more recklessly even in parking lots. Normally most people return their shopping carts to the return areas, that does not happen when it starts snowing they scatter them all over the place.

I am assuming I am in one of the last areas where things will return to normal.
Old 04-14-2020, 10:22 AM   #431
jamf
Pro Bowl

Someone on Reddit said that Amazon lists new items at 2:42AM eastern.
I don't know if it was a fluke but I was able to pick up some surgical masks and gloves. Worth a shot if you have the time and are in need.
jamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 10:32 AM   #432
MTK
\m/

Quote:
I am sure everyone's experience will vary depending on where they live. Around me people in the country panic buy every time they predict 1-2" of snow. They wipe out all the bread, eggs and milk. If you are unfortunate enough to be out and about when that snow does start to fall you will see behavior that boggles the mind, people actually start driving faster and more recklessly even in parking lots. Normally most people return their shopping carts to the return areas, that does not happen when it starts snowing they scatter them all over the place.

I am assuming I am in one of the last areas where things will return to normal.
Same here in upstate NY where we average 52 inches of snow a year... I don't think what you're describing is a unique situation
Old 04-14-2020, 11:03 AM   #433
SunnySide
Playmaker

Tp - I’ve gotten on my last 2 trips to wegmans. Limit 1. Last time it was charming soft, first time it was a brand I have never seen.

Surge - I was expecting a huge surge and jump in numbers, maybe even hitting 5k dead a day .... it seems there won’t be a surge ... but now a longer curve vs a steep curve?

Home schooling - I found this channel called homeschool pop to teach my kid second grade math. It was really well done. I was trying to teach my kid double digit subtraction with carrying the 1 ... and lol I had to pause and think about it.

Beer store - I worked late Friday night and stopped by a typical beer wine store. It was weird. The clerk was freaking out with all these signs, people were waking in without masks and he was yelling at them. Showing customers photos of us kids, saying 2 regular patrons had already died.

I honestly appreciated it. This may not be non-political ... but it wasn’t in the greatest part of town and practically nobody was wearing a mask except me. I thought the areas hardest hit were because it’s so diverse and populated that we are in so close contact with each other ... but I’m starting to think certain demographics just don’t give a damn. Idk.

Customers there vs in Columbia md ... it was a stark contrast.

Hope everyone is staying smart.

I’m ready for this shit to be over.
Old 04-14-2020, 11:03 AM   #434
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Same here in upstate NY where we average 52 inches of snow a year... I don't think what you're describing is a unique situation
We only get about 12-24" snow a year here. It might of been a different place and time but I lived in an area in The Southern California mountains where it wasn't rare to get 12-18" over night and things continued on as normal, the plows were running 24-7, they used cinders, not salt on the roads and they chained up the school buses. I have a customer in Minnesota, he laughs his ass off when I tell him how government offices and schools close over 2" of snow here. He said they get two feet dumped in a day and things keep rolling along.

I have only lived here 10 years, but the long term residents I meet say they didn't used to roll up the sidewalks over a little snow back in the day.
Old 04-14-2020, 02:32 PM   #435
SunnySide
Playmaker

Shoes - I read an article where a study found that a lot of people have Coronavirus on the sole of their shoes. Makes sense, heavier particles drop to the floor where they can live for up to 3 days.

I’m now taking my shoes off at the front door and then spraying them with Lysol or 409.

Open windows - open your windows and get as much sun in your house