F 1 1.47%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-09-2020, 02:34 PM   #391
Schneed10
A Dude

Re: Ron Rivera Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
It never ceases to amaze me how many excuses get made up for Haskins lack of leadership and commitment to the team. No single occurrence would be alarming in of itself, but we have a clear pattern developing of Haskins behaviors (or lack thereof) not jiving with what you would want in your franchise QB. Any one of them can be dismissed as "much ado about nothing" or "meaningless" or "no big deal." But when these things start adding up, its a f*ucking pattern of behavior that doesn't look promising.
Maybe, but I'm more interested in seeing what plays out on the practice field and locker room in spring and summer workouts.

Is it evident to Scott Turner and Ron Rivera that he's been studying his playbook? Is it evident he's getting better? Is it evident that he can command the respect of the players in the locker room and that he can command the huddle? Is it evident that he can adjust protections within Turner's scheme? Is it evident that he can audible to hot routes in Turner's scheme?

I'm more interested in waiting for the tangible signs of an improving football player and leader, which we can only see when they start practicing and playing football. I know it makes for dull conversation now, but I don't see the point in projecting how it will go based on these soft factors.

Unless Alex Smith demonstrates significant physical capability between now and free agency, you still need to sign a veteran QB anyway to compete with him. I wouldn't change my approach there either way.

After that, it's let the chips fall where they may.

Advertisements
Old 01-09-2020, 03:01 PM   #392
SunnySide
Playmaker

I think "subjective" and "objective" may be getting mixed up here.

"Objective" means things like "he averages 7.9 ypa" or "he averages 2.3 seconds from snap to release". Objective things are not generally up for debate or interpretation.

"Subjective" means it is subject to interpretation and opinions may vary. I think his body language stinks or him missing the presser means he doesnt want to win = just your opinion. There is nothing objective about it.

Also, if you are forming subjective opinions, please do not overweigh things that confirm your bias and down play things that dont.

Haskins asking his O Line "how can I help you" on the sideline. A person could interpret that as he is throwing his O line under the bus, is not a leader and is passing blame. Okay but also consider Moses (whose opinion carries much more weight than ours) who said:

"He's a young quarterback. He's only had two starts. So he's filled with a lot of emotion," Moses said. "That's why you see me talking to him after the fact that he came over there and said what he had to say. He asked us, 'What can I do to help you guys?' In that moment, it wasn't him coming out there and chewing us out or anything like that. I understood where he was coming from."

Moses explained that the Jets defense, who's coordinator Gregg Williams is famous for bringing pressure and blitzing, ran several different stunts and formations that may have confused Haskins.

"As a young quarterback, and you have an exotic defense like that, you have a star safety [Jamal Adams] that's in the box, he's out the box, he's a hell of a playmaker," Moses said. "[Haskins is] trying to figure out where he's at. It's almost like he comes over there and is asking, truly, like 'Hey man, what can I do?' Because he probably doesn't understand everything that's happening.

"Obviously, he's looking downfield, looking for open receivers and things like that," Moses continued. "So when you get sacked, you're like 'Where is he coming from?' Simply, when there's a five-man protection and they're bringing seven, somebody is going to be free."

The Jets defense had their way with Haskins and the Redskins offense for much of the game. The rookie was sacked six times and was unable to put together much of anything before falling down 31 points in the fourth quarter. Two late TDs made the margin appear closer than the game truly was, and Haskins knows he has to play better.

Moses understands that Haskins has gone through things as a rookie that most players don't usually deal with. The right tackle has high hopes for Haskins, and praised No. 7's drive and willingness to get better.

"To give credit to the kid, he's a hell of a football player," Moses said. "He's in there willing to learn, he wants to learn, he wants to be great. He's playing through a lot of things that normal quarterbacks, rookie quarterbacks don't play through. His head coach got fired after a couple of weeks, and things like that. For him, he's just trying to find his way. We just have to do a better job of helping him find his way as well."
https://www.nbcsports.com/washington...p-talk-vs-jets

For every subjective knock Reid listed, there are more facts that he doesnt consider or mention ... bc it doesnt fit his narrative.

Haskins being called lazy or doesnt want to win is 100% garbage to me, in my 100% subjective opinion.
Old 01-09-2020, 03:06 PM   #393
MTK
\m/

SunnySide for the win, well stated
Old 01-09-2020, 03:48 PM   #394
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

It is OBJECTIVE to state that Haskins:

- Has had multiple former college team mates state that he's not completely devoted to and focused on football
- Had multiple reports during the early parts of the season that he was not putting in the work and effort because he was entitled and miffed that he was not just handed the starting job
- Was reported that he did not know the playbook and that Adrian Peterson talked to him about it
- Was not viewed by his coach as being ready to start for these reasons, not his skill
- Did not earn the starting job until he had a come to Jesus talk with Callahan, begin to improve on these things, with the help of Alex Smith as a mentor
- Was seen on the sideline talking AT his veteran offensive line asking what he could do to help them. They did not show the appearance of receiving his comments favorably
- Missed the last snap of a play to take a selfie with a fan
- Missed the Head Coaches introductory press conference
- Tweeted that he was ready to get to work, yet has not been reported to have met with coaches or been to Redskins Park

These are all OBJECTIVE facts.

Whether one thinks none of this matters, or is a sign of a troubling pattern, is SUBJECTIVE.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 03:50 PM   #395
OmahaRedskins
Impact Rookie

Quote:

- Has had multiple former college team mates state that he's not completely devoted to and focused on football
- Had multiple reports during the early parts of the season that he was not putting in the work and effort because he was entitled and miffed that he was not just handed the starting job
- Was reported that he did not know the playbook and that Adrian Peterson talked to him about it
- Was not viewed by his coach as being ready to start for these reasons, not his skill
- Did not earn the starting job until he had a come to Jesus talk with Callahan, begin to improve on these things, with the help of Alex Smith as a mentor
- Was seen on the sideline talking AT his veteran offensive line asking what he could do to help them. They did not show the appearance of receiving his comments favorably
- Tweeted that he was ready to get to work, yet has not been reported to have met with coaches or been to Redskins Park

Whether one thinks none of this matters, or is a sign of a troubling pattern, is SUBJECTIVE.
Is this confirmed? I have not seen it reported. "yet has not been reported to have met with coaches or been to Redskins Park"
OmahaRedskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 04:14 PM   #396
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

January 9th, 2020. The day that people decide Dwayne Haskins is a bum and we should move on. Took longer than I thought.

Shameless self-promotion. It is what it is.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 04:31 PM   #397
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARTHQUAKE2689 View Post
January 9th, 2020. The day that people decide Dwayne Haskins is a bum and we should move on. Took longer than I thought.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 05:06 PM   #398
Kope
Special Teams

Quote:

Respectfully, those are facts, but not all of them.

Other facts:
- DH is 22 years old
- Once his teammates mentored him, he listened and adjusted
- DH did not take losing as acceptable (he gives a shit)
- DH improved as the season went on

The negative facts occurred definitely show a trend as you suggest and I concur. However I think the positive facts also show a trend and are as a result of the negative facts. I will put more weight on the positive trends.
Kope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 05:09 PM   #399
Kope
Special Teams

Quote:
Unless Alex Smith demonstrates significant physical capability between now and free agency, you still need to sign a veteran QB anyway to compete with him.
I think Alex is going to surprise people with his physical capability. That is one driven, committed dude, no form all function.
Kope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 05:14 PM   #400
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
I think Mooby is being sarcastic.
+10000

I'm disappointed in anyone who took that post seriously.

Unless Haskins is blowing off Rivera's phone calls and telling his teammates he's too busy partying to attend, I couldn't care less why he didn't attend the presser.

And until we get reports of Rivera giving Haskins "game tape" to study at home (which is actually a blank cd), and then Haskins comes in the next day talking about how the game tape looks good, I'm not worried.
Old 01-09-2020, 05:32 PM   #401
Skinsfanatic
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
+10000

And until we get reports of Rivera giving Haskins "game tape" to study at home (which is actually a blank cd), and then Haskins comes in the next day talking about how the game tape looks good, I'm not worried.
I think Haskins will be fine, but if I am Rivera, I would have to give that a try. That's too funny.
Skinsfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 06:06 PM   #402
OmahaRedskins
Impact Rookie

How about Rivers as a low cost veteran backup?
OmahaRedskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 04:36 AM   #403
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:

Are you serious w/ this nonsense? By all accounts he was starting to come around at the end of the year. He is a very young kid put in a very tough spot. Let him grow into his role as a leader. You don't walk out of one year of college and become the team leader.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 04:38 AM   #404
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmahaRedskins View Post
How about Rivers as a low cost veteran backup?
Rivers ain't coming here. Why would he move all the way across country w/ 100 kids to be a backup?
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 07:01 AM   #405
MTK
\m/

I don’t see Rivers as a backup or low cost

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk