Debating with the enemy

Closed Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 10:02 AM   #361
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

Re: Gun Control Thread- Should we?

And then there's this utterly idiotic 'feel-good' program:

LA Gun Buy-Back

While officials in Los Angeles and elsewhere have said the gun buybacks help keep streets safe, a 2004 report by the National Research Council of the National Academies questioned that conclusion.

Among the report's findings were that guns surrendered in buybacks tend to be old or inherited from previous owners, and not likely to be used in crime. Also, gun owners find it easy to replace their firearms, according to the report, which was titled "Firearms and Violence: A Critical Review."

I'm sure the lines were full of remorseful gangbangers.

Advertisements
Old 12-27-2012, 10:24 AM   #362
HailGreen28
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinRat View Post
All they are trying to do is bully people in a similar way to the Out program by gay groups in the 80's.

Great. Now criminals know who doesn't have a firearm.
Lol. Do these people really think people are embarrassed, rather than proud to own a gun? Whether a favorite hunting rifle or family "heirloom" or whatever?

What a rationale. Sure, try to embarrass the people with legal gun permits. Nobody should mind their name and address being published as if they did something wrong. That'll help stop the gun violence we're experiencing every week, sometimes every day. Those guys with permits are the reason for those deaths, and they should totally trust government and the anti-gun crowd after this stunt. That paper totally went after the criminals with guns, like always, didn't they?
Old 12-27-2012, 10:31 AM   #363
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HailGreen28 View Post

This kind of stupidity on the newspaper's part, is exactly why people shouldn't rely on anti-gun people for any kind of solution to gun violence. What is the paper trying to accomplish here?

It's why I said it would be beneficial to gun owners to work with on new gun laws,if they don't then yeah you'll see things you don't like.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:32 AM   #364
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
It's why I said it would be beneficial to gun owners to work with on new gun laws,if they don't then yeah you'll see things you don't like.
So you're cool with bullying then?

You're a great example of a nanny government supporter.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:36 AM   #365
HailGreen28
Playmaker

Quote:
Hence why enough republicans and democrats will vote against you when it counts. Pulling counterproductive publicity stunts like this, being more concerned with legal gun owners than the felons doing the shootings.... just shows that NOBODY should buy what you're selling. Or trust anything you propose given what the paper just did.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:37 AM   #366
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
And then there's this utterly idiotic 'feel-good' program:

LA Gun Buy-Back

While officials in Los Angeles and elsewhere have said the gun buybacks help keep streets safe, a 2004 report by the National Research Council of the National Academies questioned that conclusion.

Among the report's findings were that guns surrendered in buybacks tend to be old or inherited from previous owners, and not likely to be used in crime. Also, gun owners find it easy to replace their firearms, according to the report, which was titled "Firearms and Violence: A Critical Review."

I'm sure the lines were full of remorseful gangbangers.

maybe you should learn to read your own links.

These type of events have been happening all over the country since the Sandy Hood shooting. Each one is different, but generally, firearms fetch between $50 and $100. In Los Angeles, they were offering up to $200 for assault rifles. It's not really about the money, though. As Villaraigosa explained ahead of his city's buyback program, it's also about taking action. "I think everybody was so traumatized," he said. "People said, 'I don't wait on the Congress, I'm tired of the endless debates about responsible gun control legislation, I want to do my part." As it were, one of the first guns collected at Wednesday was a Bushmaster XM-15, the same assault rifle that Adam Lanza used at Sandy Hook
Old 12-27-2012, 10:42 AM   #367
HailGreen28
Playmaker

Quote:

These type of events have been happening all over the country since the Sandy Hood shooting. Each one is different, but generally, firearms fetch between $50 and $100. In Los Angeles, they were offering up to $200 for assault rifles. It's not really about the money, though. As Villaraigosa explained ahead of his city's buyback program, it's also about taking action. "I think everybody was so traumatized," he said. "People said, 'I don't wait on the Congress, I'm tired of the endless debates about responsible gun control legislation, I want to do my part." As it were, one of the first guns collected at Wednesday was a Bushmaster XM-15, the same assault rifle that Adam Lanza used at Sandy Hook
That mayor you quoted sounds hysterical. I mean like he's in a panic. Yes, the people who wanted to sell those guns legally were the problem. Thank goodness we have those people disarmed now!

RedskinsRat is pointing out the situation to you, why not address his point rather than quote the politician running a political program?
Old 12-27-2012, 10:48 AM   #368
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

Quote:

I did read it, what do YOU think it's stating that I've missed? We still have gun crime in LA, historically this program is NOT attracting the firearms that are out there generally used for crimes.

I expect to hear, very shortly, that the Bushmaster handed in was a 'Judas Goat'. No one hands in a $1,000 weapon for a $200 gift card. Yet another pathetic attempt at a media manipulation by Mini-Mayor,
Old 12-27-2012, 11:22 AM   #369
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HailGreen28 View Post
RedskinsRat is pointing out the situation to you, why not address his point rather than quote the politician running a political program?

First I did address it and second look at post# 347,this is not a joke .There are 26 people dead 20 children some shot more then once by someone who's mother was part of out gun culture ,she would argue that she knew about gun safty and how to handle guns and it's the "other" idiots out there ,right up to the time her son shot her 4 times and killer her.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:04 PM   #370
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

Quote:
First I did address it and second look at post# 347,this is not a joke .There are 26 people dead 20 children some shot more then once by someone who's mother was part of out gun culture ,she would argue that she knew about gun safty and how to handle guns and it's the "other" idiots out there ,right up to the time her son shot her 4 times and killer her.
A crime was committed in order to get to the weapons. What part of that and the gun laws in place are you not understanding?

More laws aren't going to change things, except for the worse. Getting rid of all legally owned weapons leaves the power in the hands of criminals and it borders on Unicorn Leash Laws.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:07 PM   #371
HailGreen28
Playmaker

Quote:
No, you didn't. You just parroted what the desperate politician in LA said.

RR's joke does far less harm than your argument and what the paper's actions do.

And you are still ignoring that a buy back program would have done nothing to stop the Newtown massacre. It might actually help get other guns away from people desperate for money, but that has nothing to do with people with assault rifles. So you still aren't making sense. Just acting "feel good" rather than address problems stated in this thread, i guess.

Sure, legal permit owners and people willing to sell their guns are who we should go after and guilt trip. Rather than addressing problems with felons, the criminally/suicidally minded, and "glory seekers".

There's more of an "excuse the criminal" culture in this country, than a "gun culture". Unless you mean some other "gun culture" than legally owned guns for purposes other than killing people?

Firstdown already refuted your idea that the mother being part of some "gun culture" was the problem. Check out his post here.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:00 PM   #372
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

My response to the gun buyback is... who cares. No one is forcing people to turn in their guns. No one is being pressured to turn in their guns. It's simply a service being offered. The type of crime we saw at Sandyhook can shatter the foundation for some people, and they may want to get rid of a gun in a secure fashion. Why do you care if someone doesn't want their gun anymore and turns it in?

The deflective arguments of drunk driving, knives, etc. really don't focus on the real issue at hand. I feel like the questions posed, especially about drunk driving, were rhetorical, but if they weren't there are some clear differentiators between massacres and DUI deaths.

DUIs do get a lot of attention. They are a high profile issue in our society right now. DUIs are punished quite harshly, unless you’re an athlete, and DUIs should be punished harshly. Driving drunk is dangerous to everyone on the road with you. We see far too many injuries and deaths from DUIs, which is why stricter punishments continue to be implemented. It’s important to make sure that there are clear deterrents in place to curb drunk driving.
There are a few reasons why they typically don’t dominate the front page every day. The American legal system relies on intent. When someone drives drunk, they typically don’t have malicious intent. Nearly all of the cases with DUIs involve negligence. The person driving isn’t leaving the bar to kill themselves and others. They are making a poor decision and trying to get home. That certainly is no excuse for drunk driving, but it is an important differentiator in the legal system.

Look at the difference between manslaughter and homicide. They have the same eventual outcome, but radically different circumstances leading to the same outcome. The intent and act of premeditation makes the crime more severe. Killing someone due to negligence or accidental situations should be punished, but not as severely.

Secondly, DUIs rarely kill more than a handful of people at once. Most DUI accidents have no casualties, or very few. That isn’t often the case with (attempted) massacres. When that happens, they are covered briefly, but they aren’t a lasting news story. I really don’t think anyone is saying that DUIs are not a serious issue in our society, but there’s no reason to merge the two subjects. They are innately different.

Instead of bickering, why don’t we put out some ideas on how to actually come to a compromise. Some of the ideas I like around reasonable gun control:

• Mandatory training. This is not a one-time training. On an interval, you’re required to get recertified to have a license.
• Mandatory Psychological Evaluations. These are also recurring and required for having a gun license.
• Improved Gun Tracking. You must register all guns and periodically audited that you have the gun you say you have. Lack of having possession of a gun results in punishment.
• Gun Responsibility. If you own a gun, and that gun is used in a crime. You are considered, at least partially, to blame for said crime. Any time a gun registered to your name comes up as used in a crime or found in possession of someone else it is a crime.
• Assault Rifle Ban. I don’t consider, because it’s fun, to be an appropriate response to the assault weapons you can buy. Have them available at shooting ranges, but not in homes. No need for them.

Sadly, this topic really demonstrates politics in America right now. Two sides so stuck in their view that they can't really have a healthy discussion, and most importantly, unable to make compromises. We need to find a way to strike compromise to coexist, let's start here. Instead of copy and pasting links to a biased source (one side or the other) what real concessions are you willing to make?
Old 12-27-2012, 02:28 PM   #373
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

I already had to pass a background check, take a course and a test just to own a handgun in CA.

Who will be the judge of my sanity? Someone who believes in a higher power? I don't consider them my peer. This leaves the process open to the same bias that CCW in CA has. It will only be available to rich people, poor need not apply, cos you're getting turned down.

My suggestion, Daseal, remains the same: Enforce the current gun laws.

There is no need for more gun laws.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:32 PM   #374
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Quote:
I already had to pass a background check, take a course and a test just to own a handgun in CA.

Who will be the judge of my sanity? Someone who believes in a higher power? I don't consider them my peer. This leaves the process open to the same bias that CCW in CA has. It will only be available to rich people, poor need not apply, cos you're getting turned down.

My suggestion, Daseal, remains the same: Enforce the current gun laws.

There is no need for more gun laws.
RR, it would be a licensed medical professional. Granted you won't weed out all the bad apples, but it can definitely help. What current gun laws go unenforced right now? What laws do you see massive loopholes in? You keep saying enforce current gun laws. Get a little more specific. What issues do you see with enforcement of current laws?
Old 12-27-2012, 02:39 PM   #375
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal View Post
RR, it would be a licensed medical professional. Granted you won't weed out all the bad apples, but it can definitely help. What current gun laws go unenforced right now? What laws do you see massive loopholes in? You keep saying enforce current gun laws. Get a little more specific. What issues do you see with enforcement of current laws?
How was a known felon in possession of a .223-caliber Bushmaster rifle, a .38-caliber revolver and a 12-gauge shotgun, just to use the most recent example?
Closed Thread