Redskins vs. Jaguars Thread

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 08-28-2008, 11:45 PM   #361
GMScud
Swearinger

Re: Redskins vs. Jaguars Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusFrerotte View Post
I just hope we can knock off Dallas and split with our other intradivisional rivals as well. Would hate to get smoked by all 3. I could swallow 7-9 to 9-7 as long as we at least beat our rivals at least once.
I think that is exactly the range we are looking at for this season. In fact, I think we are basically 8-8 on the dot. If we go 1-4 in the first 5 then I think we'll end up 7-9, possibly 6-10. 2-3 or somehow 3-2 (which would be awesome) in the first 5, then 8-8 or 9-7 is very realistic. The schedule makers did us no favors in Sept/Oct...

Advertisements
Old 08-28-2008, 11:53 PM   #362
Skinz4life
Camp Scrub

The bad thing is I actually got excited about how well they played in the first 2 preseason games, only to have my hope crushed by the last 2 games. I don't care that they didn't win the last 2 games, but they have looked awful. The penalties, dropped passes, and awful tackling are a joke. THose are things that well coached teams usually do pretty good.
Skinz4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 11:55 PM   #363
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Our two rookie picks on the second round IMO were a waste if we wanted to improve our offense this year. We should have used one of our 2nd round picks to trade for a veteran wideout or aggressively gone after one in free agency. I know we wanted to not be agressive, but I don't think Thomas and Kelly were the answer. They could develop in two years, but unless we're in a rebuilding mode, they are not going to help.

I think people need to drop the safety issue, we have bigger problems at the LBs and CBs position. Not to mention the O-line on offense. If we're going to pick up someone off the waivers, it has to be a LB. We need depth in that area.

Finally, I agreed with the ppl that are saying that we're going to have a losing season, I hope I'm wrong, but I'm seeing the same anemic offense that we've had over the past three/four years. I think our bend but don't break defense will break this year if we have the same crappy offense that cannot pass the ball vertically, cannot avoid three and outs, and cannot put teams away. If JC doesn't get any better, then this team needs to go into rebuilding mode.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 12:31 AM   #364
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinz4life View Post
The bad thing is I actually got excited about how well they played in the first 2 preseason games, only to have my hope crushed by the last 2 games. I don't care that they didn't win the last 2 games, but they have looked awful. The penalties, dropped passes, and awful tackling are a joke. THose are things that well coached teams usually do pretty good.
The lesson of the preseason is... don't get too excited when things are going well, and don't get too disappointed when they're not.
Old 08-29-2008, 12:34 AM   #365
GusFrerotte

Our record depends on the play of JC and the defense. IF JC doesn't get it done say by games 10-11, I almost think we should give Brennan a go at it. Jc's inconsistency is daunting to say the least, not to mention he might not be able to survive an entire season.
GusFrerotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 01:11 AM   #366
That Guy
Living Legend

at least mason and colt played well... mcmullen looks like a keeper too, at least against scrubs. fincher got his name called about 400 times.

it was sad seeing mason (who got good yardage) get stuffed every time we had 1 yard to go. either he sucks at short yardage or that line wasn't getting it done.

tryon SUCKED... he got burnt on about 200 3rd downs, for 20+ yard gains, for TDs, i mean, he needs to go. there's no flashes, no skill, nothing. a bust and an embarrassment. no one's close to taking cartwright's job either... you wouldn't think returns were all that hard or that the concept of north/south running was difficult, but man...

safety play was better today, but i didn't get why when we had JAX at 3rd and 20+, we'd give everyone a 15 yard cushion... i understand not wanting to get beat deep, but that's a lot of field position that added up on those underneath throws, and we got burnt some anyways.

the prevent is the worst thing i've ever seen...
That Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 05:34 AM   #367
RedskinPete
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusFrerotte View Post
Our record depends on the play of JC and the defense. IF JC doesn't get it done say by games 10-11, I almost think we should give Brennan a go at it. Jc's inconsistency is daunting to say the least, not to mention he might not be able to survive an entire season.
JC is looking like a back up more and more...not a NFL starting QB. I have to say we are in real trouble. His bad play is going to kill us! The line is showing it's age as well and no one can pull down a pass even when JC gets it to them. Our WR's are a joke so I can't put it all on JC. So much money and draft picks on WR's with little to show for it. Throw in a 1st round QB[JC] that is failing badly makes for bad days ahead. Our only hope is if we can still run the ball and the D can wake up. The Giants must be love us coming to town!
RedskinPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 05:40 AM   #368
RedskinPete
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
Our two rookie picks on the second round IMO were a waste if we wanted to improve our offense this year. We should have used one of our 2nd round picks to trade for a veteran wideout or aggressively gone after one in free agency. I know we wanted to not be agressive, but I don't think Thomas and Kelly were the answer. They could develop in two years, but unless we're in a rebuilding mode, they are not going to help.

I think people need to drop the safety issue, we have bigger problems at the LBs and CBs position. Not to mention the O-line on offense. If we're going to pick up someone off the waivers, it has to be a LB. We need depth in that area.

Finally, I agreed with the ppl that are saying that we're going to have a losing season, I hope I'm wrong, but I'm seeing the same anemic offense that we've had over the past three/four years. I think our bend but don't break defense will break this year if we have the same crappy offense that cannot pass the ball vertically, cannot avoid three and outs, and cannot put teams away. If JC doesn't get any better, then this team needs to go into rebuilding mode.
I Think you are right about a old O line,WR's that are not much help and a QB that is starting to show he isn't going to be here in 2009. Could be a long season!
RedskinPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 07:03 AM   #369
irish
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinPete View Post
JC is looking like a back up more and more...not a NFL starting QB. I have to say we are in real trouble. His bad play is going to kill us! The line is showing it's age as well and no one can pull down a pass even when JC gets it to them. Our WR's are a joke so I can't put it all on JC. So much money and draft picks on WR's with little to show for it. Throw in a 1st round QB[JC] that is failing badly makes for bad days ahead. Our only hope is if we can still run the ball and the D can wake up. The Giants must be love us coming to town!
I think we are now really seeing the results of years of patching problems rather than trying to build depth through the draft. The O line is old and slow and there is not really any younger depth. The D line is too small and light. The D backs are too short, the WRs just dont have it and JC, well I think I'm being proven more correct each week.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 07:26 AM   #370
dmvskinzfan08
Impact Rookie

I will say this. I am JC supporter. But after seeing how quickly Brennan releases the ball and his rhythm in the offense I must say that if JC doesnt get it done this year. I look forward to Brennan next year competing for the starting job. I never thought I would say that.

But to the contrary. The year is not over and it hasn't even started as far as the regular season goes. So the jury is still out. But I am hoping Jason will step up. This is only preseaon. But it looked like the second string D-Line had more push last night than our starting D-Line with the exception of JT and AC.

I must say this. Tryon needs to be cut. He doesn't even deserve to be on the practice squad. Seriously.

Horton and Moore will solidify our safety needs as the year goes on. But the cornerbacks need to step their game up. I am tired of seeing opponents have 3rd and long and sometimes over 15 yards to make a frist down and it seems so easy. I am so pissed with this cushion that the CBs play. Haven't they seen this doesn't work the past 3-4 years or are our cornerbacks that bad that they need that cushion. Or is is a caution point because the D-Line rarely gets to the passer.

Also. I am so disappointed with Devin. He has shown me nothing and its early but he seems like a bust. I think the Defense will step up. But our corner backs need to step their game up.

Lastly. We need to run the ball more on first down to take some pressure of JC. Joe Bugel needs to pull Zorn to the side and let him know this is the NFC East. You have to mix in some smash mouth with the fancy workings of these pass first offenses. I hope he was just experimenting with play calling. If not its going to be a long year if he thinks he can thrown on first down in the NFC East 90% of the time. Saying this. I have a feeling Portis is going to help us save face and I hope this O-Line steps their game up also. But we need to run to open up the pass not the other way around.

I think this NY game is the first game but might be the most important game of the year for our confidence and seeing our schedule is rough.
HTTR 09 - RIP#21
HATERS << Misery Loves Company
dmvskinzfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 07:27 AM   #371
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
I think we are now really seeing the results of years of patching problems rather than trying to build depth through the draft. The O line is old and slow and there is not really any younger depth. The D line is too small and light. The D backs are too short, the WRs just dont have it and JC, well I think I'm being proven more correct each week.
Wow! between you and Pete, that's a lot of darkness at the beginning of the tunnel
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 07:43 AM   #372
KLHJ2
Inactive

Is this a funeral...? This is almost the most morbid thread I've ever seen. It's only the end of preseason guys. I am not going to get you all excited by saying that we are going to the playoffs or anything. I do want you to know however, that some of our greatest seasons were played after some of our crappiest preseasons.

Let the players strap it up, take the field, and play the game. Let their body of work speak for itself when it really matters, during the regular season. Let the starters get in tune with each other for an entire game. Let them play a few games before we start to worry.

I will admit to having concerns about this squad as well, but lets not forget that the season is 16 games long and each game is 60 minutes. Anything can happen in 60 minutes. Food for thought; the starters have only played about 60+ minutes of football this entire preseason.

Give them a chance before we bury them and recite a eulogy.
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 08:19 AM   #373
freddyg12
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry View Post
Is this a funeral...? This is almost the most morbid thread I've ever seen. It's only the end of preseason guys. I am not going to get you all excited by saying that we are going to the playoffs or anything. I do want you to know however, that some of our greatest seasons were played after some of our crappiest preseasons.

Let the players strap it up, take the field, and play the game. Let their body of work speak for itself when it really matters, during the regular season. Let the starters get in tune with each other for an entire game. Let them play a few games before we start to worry.

I will admit to having concerns about this squad as well, but lets not forget that the season is 16 games long and each game is 60 minutes. Anything can happen in 60 minutes. Food for thought; the starters have only played about 60+ minutes of football this entire preseason.

Give them a chance before we bury them and recite a eulogy.
nice post, funny that a dude (correct me if I'm wrong) named Angry is the voice of reason!
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 08:44 AM   #374
irish
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmvskinzfan08 View Post
I will say this. I am JC supporter. But after seeing how quickly Brennan releases the ball and his rhythm in the offense I must say that if JC doesnt get it done this year. I look forward to Brennan next year competing for the starting job. I never thought I would say that.

But to the contrary. The year is not over and it hasn't even started as far as the regular season goes. So the jury is still out. But I am hoping Jason will step up. This is only preseaon. But it looked like the second string D-Line had more push last night than our starting D-Line with the exception of JT and AC.

I must say this. Tryon needs to be cut. He doesn't even deserve to be on the practice squad. Seriously.

Horton and Moore will solidify our safety needs as the year goes on. But the cornerbacks need to step their game up. I am tired of seeing opponents have 3rd and long and sometimes over 15 yards to make a frist down and it seems so easy. I am so pissed with this cushion that the CBs play. Haven't they seen this doesn't work the past 3-4 years or are our cornerbacks that bad that they need that cushion. Or is is a caution point because the D-Line rarely gets to the passer.

Also. I am so disappointed with Devin. He has shown me nothing and its early but he seems like a bust. I think the Defense will step up. But our corner backs need to step their game up.

Lastly. We need to run the ball more on first down to take some pressure of JC. Joe Bugel needs to pull Zorn to the side and let him know this is the NFC East. You have to mix in some smash mouth with the fancy workings of these pass first offenses. I hope he was just experimenting with play calling. If not its going to be a long year if he thinks he can thrown on first down in the NFC East 90% of the time. Saying this. I have a feeling Portis is going to help us save face and I hope this O-Line steps their game up also. But we need to run to open up the pass not the other way around.

I think this NY game is the first game but might be the most important game of the year for our confidence and seeing our schedule is rough.
I totally agree that they need to run the ball more and it doesnt help the O get in gear for the season to have Portis standing on the sideline because he doesnt want to play preseason. The timing is different with CP in and I dont see any reason he couldnt have played in those few plays the starters were in. I think they will run more in the regular season (Zorn is a pro coach and knows what the NFC East does) but IMO they were trying to pass a bit more to see what JC has and to give him more game speed experience.

I really think Brennan is the guy Zorn wants to take to the next level. I get the feeling Zorn has seen enough of JC to know that he doesnt have it. JC will get the bulk of the work this season but I stand by my prediction that JC wont be the Skins starter in 2010.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 09:10 AM   #375
doughtydoubter
Impact Rookie

blah..thats all i have have to say..blah
doughtydoubter is offline   Reply With Quote