Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Debating with the enemy

All things Middle East related

Debating with the enemy

Old 09-05-2014, 08:03 PM   #361
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Re: All things Middle East related

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/04/wo...ideo.html?_r=1

Watch the video or read the article. Incredible story to say the least.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-06-2014, 07:26 PM   #362
tshile
Special Teams

The stuff with ISIS serves as a dose of reality for me, to snap me out of my naive, sheltered thoughts.

Sitting my home, impatiently waiting for my favorite football team to kick off, without a real care in the world. It's easy to forget how messed up some people are and how hard life is in some places. At least it is for me.
tshile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 10:05 PM   #363
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshile View Post
The stuff with ISIS serves as a dose of reality for me, to snap me out of my naive, sheltered thoughts.

Sitting my home, impatiently waiting for my favorite football team to kick off, without a real care in the world. It's easy to forget how messed up some people are and how hard life is in some places. At least it is for me.
It's been going on for a couple years and in the last year it's be prominent. Why is the us and the world late to these atrocities? These guys are monsters, why have we been sitting on our hands? Poor job by Obama and his administration

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 08:58 AM   #364
tshile
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
It's been going on for a couple years and in the last year it's be prominent. Why is the us and the world late to these atrocities? These guys are monsters, why have we been sitting on our hands? Poor job by Obama and his administration
Well that's an issue that's complicated, and way over my head

But to take a stab at it... generally speaking I think many countries are simply tired of getting involved. I think there's an unwritten level of turmoil in the region that is tolerated and the desire is that it never rise above that level, to the point of the rest of us having to intervene.

A desire to contain the issue and hope it just doesn't impact the rest of us.

In addition to that you have a lot of people who think the problem is not related specifically to Islam, but is a problem related to a tribal area. Lack of education, lack of a meaningful economy, lack of a stable government, etc all lead to these types of groups forming and having a strong following. You can count me in that group. It's not an easily solvable problem. I don't think the general public of the 'western' countries have the stomach required to actually go this route. It would require a huge commitment of resources, both money and military lives, to do so and I just don't think we have it in us. And at this point in my life I'm not entirely sure it would even be worth it, assuming there was a large chance of success. For an idea of what I'm talking about see - Afghanistan. It's a shame the focus of our media is always on the negative, there's a real success story going on in Afghanistan right now and we should be focused on helping them so all their sacrifice (and ours) isn't in vein and they don't devolve into the situation Iraq is in.

As I grow older I'm realizing it may actually be an unsolvable problem; that being that the only real solution would be to decimate the entire area. That is probably an untenable position in the global community and will be so until that area does something so egregious to the rest of the world that we can all finally say - enough is enough. I don't know that the terrorist organizations will ever actually achieve that, and I certainly don't hope for it, I've seen enough disgusting and traumatic terrorists attacks for my life time in my opinion.

But yes... this administration has, in my opinion, proven itself inept when it comes to foreign policy. To the point where it almost seems like our president simply doesn't even care... I don't know how you can say some of the things he's said (no strategy?) without simply not caring enough to involve yourself. Not to mention things said by people that have left the administration or military over the last few years...
tshile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 07:27 AM   #365
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

U.S. and Arab partners bomb ISIS in Syria - CNN.com

let it rain. I say dont stop at ISIS, include al queda targets as well as Assad regime. Blow it all up

He Gets Us
Old 10-08-2014, 11:10 AM   #366
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Carter criticizes Obama on ISIS: 'We waited too long' - CNN.com

BOOM. JIMMY CARTER AND I AGREE. FINALLY SOME ONE MAKING SENSE

He Gets Us
Old 10-11-2014, 10:24 PM   #367
HailGreen28
Playmaker

Girls join ISIS, married and pregnant, and regretting it now.

It's not like ISIS, IS, whatever, ever hid the fact they are all about religious intolerance, executing suspected enemies, and treating women like cattle.

Feeling pity, but not a lot of sympathy here.
HailGreen28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 09:28 AM   #368
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Taliban storm Pakistan school; kill 130, mostly kids - CNN.com

When people ask why we over in the middle east killing these crazy ass people, just remember this story. unbelievable how these people justify these acts

He Gets Us
Old 12-16-2014, 04:59 PM   #369
HailGreen28
Playmaker

Meanwhile, the beat goes on in the Middle East.

Can you take non-Muslim women and children captive? Yes, says ISIS.
Can you have sex with them, even prepubescent girls? Yes, according to the Islamist extremist group.
Can you sell them or give them as gifts to others? The answer is yes, once again.
Old 03-03-2015, 12:53 PM   #370
over the mountain
Playmaker

anyone watch Netanyahu's speech?

a lot of rhetoric but no realistic solutions. he suggested we get a better deal out of Iran. Pretty sure we are working hard to get the best deal we can. No deal with Iran will appease Netanyahu's conservative hawk party.

very eerie moment when he said "israel will act alone" and he got a standing ovation.

Did republicans really just cheer on the idea that Israel should attack Iran and drag us unwillingly into WW3?

stop and think what you are cheering and encouraging.

US foreign policy should be dictated by a foreigner?
US foreign policy should be dictated and politicized by congress and not the POTUS?

republicans hate of pres Obama is blinding them.

Report: Obama Threatened to Shoot Down Israeli Jets Attacking Iran

^^ obama literally had to threaten to shoot down israel war planes if they tried to attack Iran without US consent.

netanyahu is dead set on dragging us into a war.

pardon my language but netanyahu needs to fuck off. he has been an asshole to every US president and openly mocks kerry. fuck you netanyahu.
over the mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 09:11 AM   #371
HailGreen28
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by over the mountain View Post
anyone watch Netanyahu's speech?

a lot of rhetoric but no realistic solutions. he suggested we get a better deal out of Iran. Pretty sure we are working hard to get the best deal we can. No deal with Iran will appease Netanyahu's conservative hawk party.

very eerie moment when he said "israel will act alone" and he got a standing ovation.

Did republicans really just cheer on the idea that Israel should attack Iran and drag us unwillingly into WW3?

stop and think what you are cheering and encouraging.

US foreign policy should be dictated by a foreigner?
US foreign policy should be dictated and politicized by congress and not the POTUS?

republicans hate of pres Obama is blinding them.

Report: Obama Threatened to Shoot Down Israeli Jets Attacking Iran

^^ obama literally had to threaten to shoot down israel war planes if they tried to attack Iran without US consent.

netanyahu is dead set on dragging us into a war.

pardon my language but netanyahu needs to fuck off. he has been an asshole to every US president and openly mocks kerry. fuck you netanyahu.
I keep wanting to reply to this drivel, and keep getting hung up on "WW3". Dude, stop drinking the kool-aid the Obama Administration and MSNBC keep giving you. World War 3 isn't happening because of anything involving Iran. You can stop hyperventilating trying to work up outrage against Isreal now.
Old 04-09-2015, 11:41 PM   #372
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Surprised nobody has talked about the Iran-Nuclear deal. I know the GOP and Netanyahu are pissed, but that's because they don't get to blow up any brown people on this deal.

I'll give the white house props on trolling Netanyahu as well with this tweet:

People need to realize that it isn't just Obama that wanted this deal. Several other countries have agreed upon this too.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
Old 04-10-2015, 12:17 AM   #373
That Guy
Living Legend

too bad iran's already hedging on whether they'll still agree to it in june. not sure if that's selling to their base or real backtracking.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 09:45 AM   #374
HailGreen28
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
Surprised nobody has talked about the Iran-Nuclear deal. I know the GOP and Netanyahu are pissed, but that's because they don't get to blow up any brown people on this deal.

I'll give the white house props on trolling Netanyahu as well with this tweet:

People need to realize that it isn't just Obama that wanted this deal. Several other countries have agreed upon this too.
The deal is interesting. Worth a shot since so far the Iranians appear to be doing what they want anyways.

Just hope they don't keep being that way once the deal is signed. Correct me if wrong, but isn't a major fear that Iran will build up their infrastructure like a first world nuclear power more CAPABLE of making weapons on short notice, like Japan could do. So if there's any excuse Iran could break the treaty and produce weapons as quickly as if they had never stopped the development they are doing now?
Old 04-10-2015, 10:51 AM   #375
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HailGreen28 View Post
The deal is interesting. Worth a shot since so far the Iranians appear to be doing what they want anyways.

Just hope they don't keep being that way once the deal is signed. Correct me if wrong, but isn't a major fear that Iran will build up their infrastructure like a first world nuclear power more CAPABLE of making weapons on short notice, like Japan could do. So if there's any excuse Iran could break the treaty and produce weapons as quickly as if they had never stopped the development they are doing now?
Well, seeing as they'll have inspectors crawling up their ass, I doubt this seriously. Even if this did happen, Iran knows it would end up in the deal being nullified and military strikes happening. Iran is doing this so it can kick start it's economy. This alone is why Israel wants to stop Iran. It isn't about nuclear weapons because his own Mossad contradicted Netanyahu on Iran's capability. Netanyahu (and Saudi Arabia)doesn't want Iran becoming a economic force in the region. This is what this has been about the entire time. Economics.