Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Kirk Cousins pick 4.7

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 05-12-2012, 06:21 PM   #346
warriorzpath

Re: Kirk Cousins pick 4.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirClintonPortis View Post
Yeah, the obvious thing to concluded that that each quarterbacks' respective receivers caught a certain percentage of passes, with Rodgers having the higher percentage. That's the only fact that the data tell you.

Saying they Rodgers is better is an inference; they are as good as the premises you use to justify them.

1. Aaron Rodgers had a higher completion percentage than Steve Young(true)
2. Having a higher completion % than someone else necessarily makes him a better player than someone else(likely not true)
Conclusion: Aaron Rodgers is better than Steve Young (when using the above premises, likely not true. You can use other premises to try and justify it though)

The truth value (true or false) of Premise 2 is not true, and for a multitude of reasons, none of which discredits the use of statistical analysis done properly. In fact, it can be disproven using statistical methods depending on how the data behaves. One can use a test of whether the means are equivalent to see if there is a statistically significant different between the two mean values(note: statistical significance does not necessarily signify significance in real life)
This was way too wordy and too much scientific/lawyer talk for me... you lost me at the word: concluded.
warriorzpath is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 05-12-2012, 06:23 PM   #347
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorzpath View Post
Stats are just numbers that can be used as guidelines and not the truth to playing ability. This is the one underlying statement that you can take from what I am saying.

Using the stats to project RGIII by comparing him to Kolb's is complete B.S. to me.
Well, if you compare him to Kolb in college statistically, you get the idea that RG3 played at a higher level. Which is also what getting the Heisman trophy says.

The Kolb comparison is useful for one reason and one reason only: sometimes productive college players end up being undistinguished professionals for whatever reason.

But unproductive college players are FAR more likely to be undistinguished pros than productive college players.
Old 05-12-2012, 06:28 PM   #348
SirClintonPortis
Pro Bowl

Quote:
This was way too wordy and too much scientific/lawyer talk for me... you lost me at the word: concluded.
Logic is simple subject. There are three things you must be able to comprehend:
1. Statements
2. Premises
3. Conclusions

There is no science, because no scientific principles are applied here, but lawyers do have to know this shit...and a lot more.
I don't bother proofreading, but since you insist, I will rectify that problem. So, will you now read it?

Quote:
Yeah, the obvious thing to conclude is that each quarterbacks' respective receivers caught a certain percentage of passes, with Rodgers having the higher percentage. That's the only fact that the data tell you.

Saying they Rodgers is better is an inference; they are as good as the premises you use to justify them.

1. Aaron Rodgers had a higher completion percentage than Steve Young(true)
2. Having a higher completion % than someone else necessarily makes him a better player than someone else(likely not true)
Conclusion: Aaron Rodgers is better than Steve Young (when using the above premises, likely not true. You can use other premises to try and justify it though)

The truth value (true or false) of Premise 2 is not true, and for a multitude of reasons, none of which discredits the use of statistical analysis done properly. In fact, it can be disproven using statistical methods depending on how the data behaves. One can use a test of whether the means are equivalent to see if there is a statistically significant different between the two mean values(note: statistical significance does not necessarily signify significance in real life)

Virtuosity remembered, douchebaggery forgotten.

The ideal character profile shoved down modern Western men and women's throats is Don Juan.
SirClintonPortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 06:40 PM   #349
warriorzpath

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirClintonPortis View Post
Logic is simple subject. There are three things you must be able to comprehend:
1. Statements
2. Premises
3. Conclusions

There is no science, because no scientific principles are applied here, but lawyers do have to know this shit...and a lot more.
I don't bother proofreading, but since you insist, I will rectify that problem. So, will you now read it?
You must've just finished a college course in writing.
warriorzpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:07 PM   #350
SirClintonPortis
Pro Bowl

Quote:
You must've just finished a college course in writing.
Over a year ago. The logic class was taken 5 years ago.
Just as a note: I'm also one of those who hate people misusing stats.

The hopefully shorter and less nuanced version:

Conclusions based off statistics are only as sound as the assumptions behind them. As assumption that a higher career completion percentage by itself, no matter how small the difference, is not a good assumption for variety of reasons, including a few statistical ones.

What usually passes for "analysis" of statistics in usual football conversations is not really statistical analysis at all, and the fellas doing it would get slaughtered by those "in the know".

Virtuosity remembered, douchebaggery forgotten.

The ideal character profile shoved down modern Western men and women's throats is Don Juan.
SirClintonPortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 12:57 PM   #351
T.O.Killa
The Starter

Has anyone heard that the Redskins picked Cousins, because the Broncos took Bolden? I
T.O.Killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 02:24 PM   #352
CultBrennan59
Pro Bowl

^ yes there is some truth to that.

Omar Bolden, the CB out of ASU was considered a late 1 early 2nd rounder but he got injured in practice before the season started, and never came back. The Skins worked him out and liked him at that first 4th rounder, but he was gone. Him being gone, and Cousins being that highly ranked made it an easier decision for shanahan.

I'm just glad that this Kirk Cousins talk is dying down.

Last edited by CultBrennan59; 05-13-2012 at 08:46 PM.
CultBrennan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 02:38 PM   #353
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

All the so called experts that ripped the Skins for drafting Cousins don't know shit. Now a days and in the past you need 2 good QB's on your team, Grossnan isn't one of them. Cousins is insurance in case RGIII gets hurt.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 02:55 PM   #354
T.O.Killa
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CultBrennan59 View Post

Omar Bolden, the CB out of ASU was considered a late 1 early 2nd rounder but he got injured in practice before the season started, and never came back. The Skins worked him out and liked him at that first 4th rounder, but he was gone. Him being gone, and Cousins being that highly ranked made it a more easier decision for shanahan.

Yeah, a friend of mine told me the next day that that is who they wanted. He was also under the opinion that if we could not get Griffin we would have drafted Cousins as early as the second round. When I realized that he was available, in the fourth that is the gut I hoped for. It was a great pick. I think we will get a minimum of third round compensatory pick for him when its all said and done.
T.O.Killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 04:00 PM   #355
los panda
Pro Bowl

i don't think he will be traded, but a 4th at best, if he is
Old 05-13-2012, 06:19 PM   #356
Mechanix544
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
All the so called experts that ripped the Skins for drafting Cousins don't know shit. Now a days and in the past you need 2 good QB's on your team, Grossnan isn't one of them. Cousins is insurance in case RGIII gets hurt.
Another new word for Ruh.
Mechanix544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 06:20 PM   #357
Mechanix544
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CultBrennan59 View Post

Omar Bolden, the CB out of ASU was considered a late 1 early 2nd rounder but he got injured in practice before the season started, and never came back. The Skins worked him out and liked him at that first 4th rounder, but he was gone. Him being gone, and Cousins being that highly ranked made it a more easier decision for shanahan.

Come on man....really?????
Mechanix544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 06:23 PM   #358
30gut
Playmaker

Robert Griffin and Kevin Kolb are separated by a gulf of physical talent.
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 06:23 PM   #359
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Dissertation! Dissertation! Dissertation! Dissertation!

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:44 PM   #360
REDSKINS4ever
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
I concur. A lot of these NFL analysts don't know anything. If they were smart they would observe closely what the Redskins quarterback situation was and came to the conclusion that the Redskins not only desperately needed a quality starter to man the position, but equally a quality back up. Rex Grossman is only the back up because he knows the offense. The drafting of Kirk Cousins could prove to be one of the most valuable picks by the Redskins in years.
REDSKINS4ever is offline   Reply With Quote