Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Chase Young or Three First Round Picks?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 03-10-2020, 03:16 PM   #346
MTK
\m/

Re: Chase Young or Three First Round Picks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number44 View Post
I agree that drafting Chase Young at #2 is the most likely scenario, but I don't agree that trading down has such a remote chance of happening. RR clearly stirred the pot regarding Tua, and I think that he would welcome trade offers and pull the trigger if a team offers us the moon. I think 67/33 is closer to what RR is thinking about the Young/trade down odds than 99/1.

I just don’t see that king’s ransom of an offer coming. Not for Tua.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisements
Old 03-10-2020, 04:34 PM   #347
Monksdown
The Starter

I think you try to create as much uncertainty and demand for the draft pick as possible. Leveraging national media, etc. to increase a sense of urgency to trade up for the pick.

We wont get 3 first round picks for our single pick. But if that moron should happen to call, you take the trade.

I was all about Chase Young, and then i listened to Mel Kiper's logic on taking Tua instead of Chase. It didnt completely sway me, but there is some fairly sound reasoning behind his view.

I think because of the injury, you pass on Tua, but you make the world think you love him.
Monksdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 05:02 PM   #348
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monksdown View Post
I think you try to create as much uncertainty and demand for the draft pick as possible. Leveraging national media, etc. to increase a sense of urgency to trade up for the pick.

We wont get 3 first round picks for our single pick. But if that moron should happen to call, you take the trade.

I was all about Chase Young, and then i listened to Mel Kiper's logic on taking Tua instead of Chase. It didnt completely sway me, but there is some fairly sound reasoning behind his view.

I think because of the injury, you pass on Tua, but you make the world think you love him.
It's not just Kiper, others have suggested the same thing. Also who leaked the info on Haskins not reading the playbook? Seems oddly fishy that its just now coming out.
Old 03-10-2020, 05:04 PM   #349
Monksdown
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
It's not just Kiper, others have suggested the same thing. Also who leaked the info on Haskins not reading the playbook? Seems oddly fishy that its just now coming out.
Yeah, it would appear as though we may be running a bluff. And a bluff the other teams have to honor if they are particularly desperate.
Monksdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 05:05 PM   #350
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

I won't be mad if they take Tua but man I love Young.. That is a tough decision IMO
Old 03-10-2020, 05:11 PM   #351
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
I won't be mad if they take Tua but man I love Young.. That is a tough decision IMO
Easy decision for me.
Old 03-10-2020, 05:22 PM   #352
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
Easy decision for me.
In the NFL, You HAVE to have a QB to win , yes Chase is the best player in this draft but so was Clowney and what did that do for Houston? If we draft Young great, our D should be very good but what if Haskins is not the answer? Then you have to start over again. It's a legit concern especially for an organization starved for a QB. Tua looks like the real deal, injuries aside when healthy he's a franchise QB.. Haskins was not considered that, he was a project and is why JAY was against it. I'm all for keeping him but again it's not crazy to think Tua should be the pick.
Old 03-10-2020, 06:27 PM   #353
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
In the NFL, You HAVE to have a QB to win , yes Chase is the best player in this draft but so was Clowney and what did that do for Houston? If we draft Young great, our D should be very good but what if Haskins is not the answer? Then you have to start over again. It's a legit concern especially for an organization starved for a QB. Tua looks like the real deal, injuries aside when healthy he's a franchise QB.. Haskins was not considered that, he was a project and is why JAY was against it. I'm all for keeping him but again it's not crazy to think Tua should be the pick.
There is literally no way Dan would've hired Rivera if Rivera didn't have a plan to try and develop Haskins into a franchise qb. Haskins earned the benefit of the doubt based off his progression last year.
Old 03-11-2020, 02:18 AM   #354
Warthog
The Starter

All the Redskins/Tua stories in the media and crap about Haskins is just there to get the most trade juice for our #2 pick. It just shows that Rivera can spread the smoke with the best of them when necessary.

Flyboy.

"Land of the Free and Home of the Brave"
Warthog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 06:33 AM   #355
Randall Nestor
Special Teams

Most of the people who don't want the skins to take Tua think that Haskins is going to be a franchise QB. With that being said none of us know for sure about either one of them. So if RR likes Tua better than Haskins I say take him and let them have a competition to see who the franchise guy is. Some people feel he has the potential to be a mix between Russell Wilson and Drew Brees. I would take that any day. I know this could be a smoke screen to get a haul and that is ok too. But if we don't consider him and Haskins doesn't become a franchise QB and Tua turns into a mix of those two players we will be talking about this for years to come. Most of the so called experts aren't expecting a playoff run next year anyway so if RR feels he could be the real deal, draft him.
Randall Nestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 02:46 PM   #356
Warthog
The Starter

This is Haskins year to prove himself. NO ONE knows if he is the franchise QB. But he played well enough at the end of the rookie season to deserve a chance to show his stuff this season. If he DOESN’T improve and have a good season and wining games, then we will draft a QB in 2021. This year Haskin’s must show us if he’s the franchise QB or not.

Flyboy.

"Land of the Free and Home of the Brave"
Warthog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 04:08 PM   #357
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthog View Post
This is Haskins year to prove himself. NO ONE knows if he is the franchise QB. But he played well enough at the end of the rookie season to deserve a chance to show his stuff this season. If he DOESN’T improve and have a good season and wining games, then we will draft a QB in 2021. This year Haskin’s must show us if he’s the franchise QB or not.

1. Haskins doesn't deserve a free run at the starting QB job. Football is supposed to be about competition. Are you worried about hurting his tender feelings if he has some competition? If his feelings are an issue, then I can tell you right now that he is not the right man for the job.

2. We shouldn't put all our eggs in one basket at the QB position. What if Haskins doesn't improve enough to win the job? Are we supposed to accept losing for an entire season hoping that we can get a promising QB in the next draft instead of giving another player a chance to succeed this season? I say no.

3. We don't have to draft Tua. There are other good QB prospects who will be available after the first round. We should draft someone like Jalen Hurts to push Haskins.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 06:19 PM   #358
SunnySide
Playmaker

We got awarded a comp 4th. I think this gives us 3 4R now. Preston?
Old 03-11-2020, 07:59 PM   #359
AnonEmouse
The Starter

I understand the thinking in drafting another QB, wherever you draft him. But the football logic isn't about hurting Haskins' feelings, or whatever, it's about being in a good place with your depth. Its one thing to have a camp battle for starter between a vet and a rookie, its another going into the season with a rookie battling a 2nd year. Your rookie wins that competition you need to trade your 2nd year guy fast and have a vet on standby, because you don't want your season in the hands of a rookie with just a demotivated 2nd year backing him up (who carries 3 QBs nowadays?) - you need the vet cover. Your 2nd year wins and your backup is a now probably demotivated rookie with no experience and obviously not good enough to start. So do you let the guy you just drafted drop to the PS while you bring a vet off the streets up to speed or do you pray that your rookie can step up when needed. Neither scenario is something a pro coach dreams about because the rarety of that working out is overshadowed by the far more likely probability that you end up with egg on your face.

If we draft Burrow or Tua, Haskins is out the door ASAP and we're scrabbling around for a decent vet to go into camp with, and likely long after the better guys were picked up in FA. If we draft a QB in the 2nd-4th round then you are in the above scenario, and likely the same problem in getting a good vet backup. Either way you'll have wasted last year's #15 or a 2nd/3rd/4th this year. With so many more needs I just don't see it.

It's not the same situation as Arizona because Rosen had a fair chance and stunk. Haskins was improving after starting the year with a coach that didn't even want him. I say play out this season and if he looks like he won't get it draft a QB next year to build on a roster you built up this year.
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 09:09 PM   #360
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Nestor View Post
Most of the people who don't want the skins to take Tua think that Haskins is going to be a franchise QB.
I am not sold on Haskins yet, but he really needs at least another year to be evaluated, especially when he had poor techniques that need work along with everything else. Even if we didn't have Haskins I would not want Tua at #2. Considering the Redskin's history with QB injuries taking a guy that has had two ankles and a hip operated on already by the age of 21 is just plan nuts. In the old days before teams reached for quarterbacks no way Tua would go in the first couple pics.
Buffalo Bob is offline   Reply With Quote