Our next coach??

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-01-2009, 06:53 PM   #346
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Re: Our next coach??

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryfuhl View Post
There's a rush on the passer on the plays that work too.
exactly.

Also, when it was just Zorn calling the plays, I gave him a little nod, cuz D's "knew the book on him" and so they maybe could tee off some, but now, you would have to say that they can't really know which coach/advisor/other random space alien is going to be calling any specific play and yet the times where Zorn makes the call just seem to fail. It's a shame, you work your whole life and dream of being a playcaller, and then you get the opportunity, that's the kinda guy and scenario everyone roots for. To have it blow up like it has, well, it's just a bummer of a situation for him and for the team.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-01-2009, 06:53 PM   #347
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
It's a hot mess if you ask me.

I really don't know how the offense has managed to improve under these circumstances, and with all the injuries to boot.
It might say that stripping Zorn was the right call.

I also agree on the earlier point about Zorn shouldn't be a QB Coach during the game.. unless something is grossly off you're just messing up the QB's flow/rhythm, he shouldn't (or shouldn't have to, pick one) do that

Zorn can't be QB coach and HC and do everything within 2 years.. that being said I'm kind of glad he wasn't the OC.. wonder how long he would've lasted though if he was only OC
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 06:54 PM   #348
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinMike View Post
The west coast offense is based on quick short passes
That's why you mold it to allow for vertical threats as well. It's more about quick than just short.. but often that's your most open guy that soon into the play.
Old 12-01-2009, 06:56 PM   #349
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
The funny thing is, when we were at our very best last season and even in the first two games of this season, our offense would avoid third downs altogether. Just pick it up on first or second.

The last 9 games, we're in third down on basically every third play, and it's kind of funny, and kind of tragic. Thing is, we've actually gotten better on third downs in the process, and the points are coming.
Yeah, every problem that solves itself presents a new one and we just scratch our heads wondering where things went both right AND wrong.

It seems as if we set up the drives for 3rd downs though, I say if you can get it on first or second, do it, but I'm just a guy on the internet.
Old 12-01-2009, 07:04 PM   #350
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
exactly.

Also, when it was just Zorn calling the plays, I gave him a little nod, cuz D's "knew the book on him" and so they maybe could tee off some, but now, you would have to say that they can't really know which coach/advisor/other random space alien is going to be calling any specific play and yet the times where Zorn makes the call just seem to fail. It's a shame, you work your whole life and dream of being a playcaller, and then you get the opportunity, that's the kinda guy and scenario everyone roots for. To have it blow up like it has, well, it's just a bummer of a situation for him and for the team.
I agree.. maybe the carousel will catch on around the league haha
Old 12-01-2009, 07:22 PM   #351
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trample the Elderly View Post
I can't stand the West Coast Offense, if that's what you call this system. Any system that says throw the ball for 5 yards, when you need 10 on 3rd down is stupid.
The Redskins identity and success has been through the air Coryell/Gibbs type offense and we should go back to our roots. Paul Brown/WCO is not what this team needs to run, most SB's have been won by the Coryell/Gibbs offense, the Cowboys won 3 SB's running it.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 10:23 PM   #352
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
I'm so tired of this child ass bullshit set up that this team is running. I mean I can't believe one of the most storied teams in the NFL has this type of crap going on. I'd expect this non sense from a high school team. I'm kind of hoping that we really take a look at Charlie Weis and if he's hired bring in Romeo Crennel as DC. He would at least stop this throwing the ball 4 yards when it's 3-8 and push the ball downfield some more. I also think we need to go to a 3-4 with Orakpo and Carter coming off the edges.
Yeah that sounds good, lets bring in Weis who couldn't cut it at the college level and bring in Crennel who couldn't cut it at the NFL level. Other wise they both would be holding jobs there now.

Especially Crennel....are you looking to simply have more beer commercial material to laugh at?
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 10:43 PM   #353
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
Yeah that sounds good, lets bring in Weis who couldn't cut it at the college level and bring in Crennel who couldn't cut it at the NFL level. Other wise they both would be holding jobs there now.

Especially Crennel....are you looking to simply have more beer commercial material to laugh at?
Well both guys are well qualified NFL coaches. Crennel didn't do well in Clev cause he didn't have the players. Weis didn't have any defense at ND. But both guys were the coordinators on 3 SB winning NE teams. They know what it takes to win. Who would you rather have running your offense. Weis or Zorn? I rest my case.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 10:52 PM   #354
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinMike View Post
The west coast offense is based on quick short passes
All of this west coast offense crap is just a freakin name cause no one runs a pure version of it anymore. No one runs it like SF did in the early/mid 80's. Or how GB ran it when Holgrem was there. You still see some of the same plays here and there but in todays NFL everyone is spreading the field, running empty sets, shotgun, 4 wr's and so on. Philly runs a west coast offense and all they do is throw it downfield. Same with GB. At this point the only difference between the west coast offense and the Gibbs/Coyell offense is terminology. Today everyone runs the same plays for the most part. It's just that some teams are much more aggressive than others. We run a "pee wee" offense, New Orleans runs a "we don't fuck around" offense. lol.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:58 PM   #355
atomicnixon
Special Teams

Quote:
Well both guys are well qualified NFL coaches. Crennel didn't do well in Clev cause he didn't have the players. Weis didn't have any defense at ND. But both guys were the coordinators on 3 SB winning NE teams. They know what it takes to win. Who would you rather have running your offense. Weis or Zorn? I rest my case.
I don't buy that, all of Belichick's assistants who have gone somewhere else have done horribly in the NFL.

Six of Belichick's assistant coaches have become NFL head coaches:
Romeo Crennel, Cleveland Browns (2005–2008)
Al Groh, New York Jets (2000)
Josh McDaniels, Denver Broncos (2009–present)
Eric Mangini, New York Jets (2006–2008), Cleveland Browns (2009–present)
Nick Saban, Miami Dolphins (2005–2006)
Jim Schwartz, Detroit Lions (2009–present)

The one that sticks out is Josh McDaniels, but he hasn't done anything yet. Let's face it, Shanahan built a pretty good team there, all of the pieces were in place for him (like it was for Zorn), something tells me that he is riding on Shanahan's coat-tails, the coaching will eventually catch up to them.
atomicnixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 10:58 PM   #356
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
The Redskins identity and success has been through the air Coryell/Gibbs type offense and we should go back to our roots. Paul Brown/WCO is not what this team needs to run, most SB's have been won by the Coryell/Gibbs offense, the Cowboys won 3 SB's running it.
It really has nothing to do with the system. It has to do with the coach molding his offense around the players strengths. We all know Jason Campbell isn't a dink and dunk Qb so why the hell do we continue to throw short passes? Part of it is the line and part of it is coaching. Denver won back to back SB's running a version of the west coach offense but they had Elway to keep the defenses honest and Terrell Davis running for 2000+ yarrds.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:27 PM   #357
diehardskin2982
Another Year, another mess.

Quote:
It really has nothing to do with the system. It has to do with the coach molding his offense around the players strengths. We all know Jason Campbell isn't a dink and dunk Qb so why the hell do we continue to throw short passes? Part of it is the line and part of it is coaching. Denver won back to back SB's running a version of the west coach offense but they had Elway to keep the defenses honest and Terrell Davis running for 2000+ yarrds.
The problem is JC is a dink & dunk qb. He doesn't take shots down the field with acuratecy. Teams aren't scared of the skins going deep at all. They also know that they can still win if Washington gets the lead because they won't be agressive and try to save a win. The way the redskins playcall games they won't win in today's NFL. It was the same reason Gibbs didn't win
Old 12-01-2009, 11:29 PM   #358
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
It's pretty damn bad I only get two choices. Maybe I'd prefer the OC for the Saints right now. He has them running like a fine oiled machine. Perhaps Clyde Christensen from the Colts. He has them winning and they have great clock management. Both more proven then the two choices you gave me.

Maybe Shanahan who has been a HC in this league and proven himself to win a SB. What have the two choices you gave me done as HC's?

I have some questions for you....

Do you think Gruden might have an easy out in his contract. Most do.

Do you think anyone could lure Schottenheimer out of retirement if they offered enough money and concessions?

Do you think Dungy would take the job if given the same as above?
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 11:47 PM   #359
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

If Danny gets rid of Vinny the skins job will be very appealing, all they have to do is rebuild the OL. Campbell will be alright with a rebuilt line and they can draft a young QB for the future in the mid rounds. Whoever coaches this team next year will be inheriting lots of up and coming young players, Thomas, Kelly, Davis, Mitchell, Orakpo, Jarmon, Horton, Edwin Williams, Rinehart, etc. There's talent on this team, execution and attitude have been the problem.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 12:21 AM   #360
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicnixon View Post
I don't buy that, all of Belichick's assistants who have gone somewhere else have done horribly in the NFL.

Six of Belichick's assistant coaches have become NFL head coaches:
Romeo Crennel, Cleveland Browns (2005–2008)
Al Groh, New York Jets (2000)
Josh McDaniels, Denver Broncos (2009–present)
Eric Mangini, New York Jets (2006–2008), Cleveland Browns (2009–present)
Nick Saban, Miami Dolphins (2005–2006)
Jim Schwartz, Detroit Lions (2009–present)

The one that sticks out is Josh McDaniels, but he hasn't done anything yet. Let's face it, Shanahan built a pretty good team there, all of the pieces were in place for him (like it was for Zorn), something tells me that he is riding on Shanahan's coat-tails, the coaching will eventually catch up to them.
I don't give a damn the records. All I care about is can I guy coach or not. Can these guys lead men and get them to play hard. Can they X and O. I think people around the NFL know Weis and Crennel and do both.