The Too Soon 2021 NFL Draft Thread

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 02-02-2021, 09:22 AM   #331
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Re: The Too Soon 2021 NFL Draft Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
There were reports that Ron and company love Fields, wonder if that's an option to trade up
I think the only way we draft a QB in the first round is if everything else fails.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 02-02-2021, 09:31 AM   #332
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
Im really torn at staying put and snatching up a tackle like say Darrisaw or trading up for a Lance. Then there is the possibility Jones is there at 19. My brain says stay put and get an immediate impactful tackle that can help our offense but my heart says trade up for a guy like Lance.
Your brain is right.

I was re-watching the Pittsburgh game last night. Alex Smith was making some tight throws. His arm and his brain are still there, and he's no less mobile than some other QBs in the league who didn't have a world-famous injury, Matthew Stafford, Ben Roethlisberger and recently-retired Phillip Rivers all average less than 100 rushing yards a SEASON over their career. He WAS one of the more mobile QBs in the league earlier in his career and he's lost that. but he's a more than competent pocket passer at this point in his career. I'm perfectly fine with another year with him as the starter, JUST GET HIM PROTECTION.

Everyone wants to call him fragile, but EVERY quarterback who played for us last year got injured, and Kyle Allen very severely.

1st pick should be a new left tackle, and get Smith some weapons at WR in FA. Alex Smith will be more than fine with some help.
Old 02-02-2021, 09:37 AM   #333
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeydad View Post
Your brain is right.

I was re-watching the Pittsburgh game last night. Alex Smith was making some tight throws. His arm and his brain are still there, and he's no less mobile than some other QBs in the league who didn't have a world-famous injury, Matthew Stafford, Ben Roethlisberger and recently-retired Phillip Rivers all average less than 100 rushing yards a SEASON over their career. He WAS one of the more mobile QBs in the league earlier in his career and he's lost that. but he's a more than competent pocket passer at this point in his career. I'm perfectly fine with another year with him as the starter, JUST GET HIM PROTECTION.

Everyone wants to call him fragile, but EVERY quarterback who played for us last year got injured, and Kyle Allen very severely.

1st pick should be a new left tackle, and get Smith some weapons at WR in FA. Alex Smith will be more than fine with some help.
I think there's zero chance RR rolls into 2021 presuming that Alex Smith will be the WFT QB.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 09:41 AM   #334
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
I think there's zero chance RR rolls into 2021 presuming that Alex Smith will be the WFT QB.

More than zero for sure. Even keeping Smith to start the season and mentor a 1st Round pick is valuable. Alex has a track record of success in that role.

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington...returning-2021

A lot has happened in the last 2 months but there was a lot of talk about Smith in 2021 during the season.

https://www.nfl.com/news/washington-...-back-for-2021

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington...its-about-2021

https://clutchpoints.com/rumor-ron-r...21-nfl-season/
Old 02-02-2021, 09:41 AM   #335
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
Agreed. Hopefully he just retires. Even if he wants to return you can't bank on him as the starter and you still have to explore all other options.
Old 02-02-2021, 09:45 AM   #336
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Agreed. Hopefully he just retires. Even if he wants to return you can't bank on him as the starter and you still have to explore all other options.
True. He'd be valuable as a backup or rookie mentor.

We don't know what China Flu restrictions this upcoming season will have going in, so starting a rookie Week 1 may not even be feasible.

Even Justin Herbert wasn't ready to go Week 1 and look at Tua's struggles.

We can't count on a 1st-Rounder if it's not a normal preseason.
Old 02-02-2021, 09:55 AM   #337
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Two things from that interview starkly contrast what happened on the football field this year:

"But for me, the crazy thing was how well my body responded to that," Smith continued. "I just feel like I continued to get stronger and stronger and better and better..."

Does anyone really believe that he got stronger and stronger as the weeks went on? Shoot, by the time they pulled him, he couldn't move in the pocket without falling down.

Smith's recent comments also fall in line with a recent interview he did with CBS '60 Minutes,' where he said playing this season proved to himself he can still play at a high level.

Not one WFT QB played at a high level at anytime during the regular season.
Old 02-02-2021, 10:58 AM   #338
Monkeydad
Living Legend

We were a completely different team with Smith than Allen or Haskins.

I'm not sure we make that playoff run with any of our other QBs. Yes the defense was the main reason for success, but they can't do it alone.

And I'm not ready to declare Heinicke the starter.
Old 02-02-2021, 11:08 AM   #339
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
He said on that 60 Mins special that he wants to play
Old 02-02-2021, 11:15 AM   #340
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
We were a completely different team with Smith than Allen or Haskins.

I'm not sure we make that playoff run with any of our other QBs. Yes the defense was the main reason for success, but they can't do it alone.

And I'm not ready to declare Heinicke the starter.
I agree that the team played better when he was the starter, but let's not attribute that success to Alex's performance.

Among quarterbacks with at least one start in 2020, Smith was 33rd in passer rating, 34th in adjusted net yards per attempt, 43rd in touchdown rate, and 34th in interception rate.

He is the comeback player of the century for sure, but he can't be in pads on the WFT sideline next year in my opinion. If he is, then I will seriously have to question RR's judgement.
Old 02-02-2021, 11:24 AM   #341
MTK
\m/

I think we still would have made the same run with Allen. He was playing pretty well before the injury.
Old 02-02-2021, 12:16 PM   #342
SunnySide
Playmaker

Of course Alex Smith still wants to play. Hes set to make 24M this year if we dont release him. he only makes 10.8M if we do release him.

They literally cut muscles from his thigh/quad area and sewed it into his calf as calf muscles bc his calf muscles and soft tissue got eaten by a flesh eating bacteria.

No wonder those quad muscles they removed and sewed into his calf started having spasms and fatigue after 3-4 weeks.

No way an NFL team can commit 24M in cap space to a QB that realistically can only give you 4 games or so. Release him with a thank you and a nice press release, 10.8M in dead money but we save 13.2M in cap for this offseason.

(assuming theres not some weird cap accounting re insurance dan snyder took out that makes it more cap friendly to keep him vs release)
SunnySide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 12:26 PM   #343
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post
Of course Alex Smith still wants to play. Hes set to make 24M this year if we dont release him. he only makes 10.8M if we do release him.

They literally cut muscles from his thigh/quad area and sewed it into his calf as calf muscles bc his calf muscles and soft tissue got eaten by a flesh eating bacteria.

No wonder those quad muscles they removed and sewed into his calf started having spasms and fatigue after 3-4 weeks.

No way an NFL team can commit 24M in cap space to a QB that realistically can only give you 4 games or so. Release him with a thank you and a nice press release, 10.8M in dead money but we save 13.2M in cap for this offseason.

(assuming theres not some weird cap accounting re insurance dan snyder took out that makes it more cap friendly to keep him vs release)
Yeah I get he is a TOUGH SOB but he has nothing else to prove, dude was 5-1 and won the division. It's time to walk away, honestly I'm surprised the team hasn't released him yet.
Old 02-02-2021, 12:27 PM   #344
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

The Too Soon 2021 NFL Draft Thread

Quote:
Your brain is right.

Just for the record Alex isn’t exactly what I had in mind when I said stay put. He could be. Between the three quarterbacks we have now or possibly a free agent who is relatively cheap we might have someone who can get it done next year if we get an outstanding tackle and another wr. Plus a run game. Run game is huge. If we can build more around the quarterback we might be able to wait another year and see what the draft or free agency brings us. And we wouldn’t have gotten rid of picks or paid too much money for anyone.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 12:29 PM   #345
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
Yeah I get he is a TOUGH SOB but he has nothing else to prove, dude was 5-1 and won the division. It's time to walk away, honestly I'm surprised the team hasn't released him yet.
If he doesn't retire, the team saves $$ if they wait until after June 1st to release him.