Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

RGIII Named Starter

Locker Room Main Forum

Closed Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 12:28 PM   #331
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Re: RGIII Named Starter

30 gut, I don't think its the same, now if we had drafted Gabbert or Ponder, and said, well we weren't really looking at Locker, then it gets closer, but ultimately, Shanahan always says we got our guy, as does every good coach. They just don't flip as early and as often (unless your name is Jim Harbaugh)

Advertisements
Old 06-07-2012, 06:03 PM   #332
SkinsGuru
Impact Rookie

Source (Washington Post):

Good read on RGIII's progress in the Redskins offense . . .

Quote:
“As far as the offense, and as far as knowing what I’m doing, I think I had that ‘ah, ha’ moment yesterday,” Griffin said. “The defense was getting after us a little bit, and we came to that last session of the day, and we just tore them up. … It felt good to know that as long as you know where you’re going with the ball, and as long as you’re aggressive and confident in what you’re doing, you can complete any pass, and I think I had that yesterday.”

Coach Mike Shanahan said that “any time a quarterback has an ‘ah, ha’ moment, you’re always feeling good. Because it means he’s feeling good about what he’s doing.”
Quote:
“We’re going to have the flexibility to do a lot of different things, like I told you before,” Shanahan said Thursday. “We’ll run the quarterback keeps, the rolls … different type of option schemes are available to us. … It does create some problems for the defense.”

Although he feels comfortable running those plays when they are called, Griffin continues to stress that he is a runner second and a passer first.

“It’s good that we’re implementing some of the option stuff because I have the ability to run it, but I don’t want people to think I’m just an option quarterback,” Griffin said. “That’s something they have to look at. Last year, I threw for over 4,000 yards, so it’s a wrinkle. It’s a good thing. But we still have our base offense. The offense will not change to an option offense.”

Griffin also displayed more of his game management skills Thursday. Toward the end of practice, he moved his team down the field in two- and one-minute drills.

Griffin looked sharp as he located receivers and marched the team into scoring territory. On the final drill of practice – a one-minute drill – the Redskins reached the red zone on four straight completions by Griffin. But the drive stalled when his fifth pass was broken up in the end zone, and the sixth wound up in the hands of cornerback DeAngelo Hall after it was tipped by two receivers in the end zone.

But Griffin said he is encouraged by his progress, and finds running Washington’s offense becoming more second nature.

“After every practice, I was writing stuff down in my booklet on things I need to work on the next day in practice,” Griffin said. “After yesterday’s practice, I only wrote one thing, and that’s ‘Just play.’ Because at the end of the day, after a few weeks, you know what everything is. You just have to stop thinking about it.”
sounds like his is picking up the offense and play book really quick . . . if its true that he has a good enough understanding of the offense to be able to "Just Play", that bodes very well fro his rookie season as with any sport, once you go from having to think about what you're doing to being able to "Just Play" things work much better and much faster . . . I REALLY HOPE THIS IS THE CASE!!
Old 06-07-2012, 06:55 PM   #333
skinsfan69
Living Legend

I do too. But DeMarcus Ware wasn't out there. Neither was Justin Tuck. Or Trent Cole. I didn't think he'd have any problems picking up the offense. We're talking about a highly intelligent person. Will he pick up the nuances of play QB? ... like Steve Young did and Michael Vick has done. Can he stay healthy? These are the questions that will be answered in Sept.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:07 AM   #334
MTK
\m/

I think John Keim hit the nail on the head here:

So now the Browns are letting it slip that maybe they weren’t that high on Robert Griffin III after all, according to an article on ESPN Cleveland’s site (by longtime and respected beat writer Tony Grossi). The report said the Browns felt perhaps he was a little small and too focused on showing how fast he could run. As someone who grew up in Cleveland, here’s what I have to say: Quit talking nonsense. Judge by actions, not words. And the Browns made a hell of an offer to St. Louis for the No. 2 pick and then complained when they didn’t receive a chance to counter and make a sweeter offer. That tells me one thing: They liked Griffin a lot. Perhaps they now love Brandon Weeden, and that’s fine. But don’t try to convince everyone you didn’t like the other guy. If that were the case, then there would have been zero trade talk.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:53 PM   #335
REDSKINS4ever
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
I think John Keim hit the nail on the head here:

So now the Browns are letting it slip that maybe they weren’t that high on Robert Griffin III after all, according to an article on ESPN Cleveland’s site (by longtime and respected beat writer Tony Grossi). The report said the Browns felt perhaps he was a little small and too focused on showing how fast he could run. As someone who grew up in Cleveland, here’s what I have to say: Quit talking nonsense. Judge by actions, not words. And the Browns made a hell of an offer to St. Louis for the No. 2 pick and then complained when they didn’t receive a chance to counter and make a sweeter offer. That tells me one thing: They liked Griffin a lot. Perhaps they now love Brandon Weeden, and that’s fine. But don’t try to convince everyone you didn’t like the other guy. If that were the case, then there would have been zero trade talk.
I wouldn't believe this for one second. I read the same article on NFL.com yesterday about this. Browns GM Mike Holmgren was angry that the Rams traded the No. 2 overall pick to the Redskins instead of the Browns. In fact, Cleveland Browns officials whined about it after it happened.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:24 PM   #336
los panda
Pro Bowl

i can't remember who was talking about griff running the option, but feel free to embelish

Robert Griffin III: I'm not just an option QB - NFL.com
Old 06-17-2012, 05:48 PM   #337
Jak101
Camp Scrub

In Washington, 'The Franchise' is fitting in - NFC East Blog - ESPN

Articles like this make me really excited to see how RGIII impacts this team. Should be fun watching him play.
Old 06-17-2012, 06:09 PM   #338
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Sapp said on NFL total access that he think s Griff will fail under shanny because Mike is to stubborn to change the offense.. guess we'll see
Old 06-17-2012, 06:24 PM   #339
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

Warren Sapp.....the world renown Offensive Guru?
He'd eat his own foot if it wouldn't hurt.....
Old 06-17-2012, 09:06 PM   #340
Mechanix544
The Starter

sapp is an idiot, griffin will make pro bowl this year
Old 06-17-2012, 09:31 PM   #341
CultBrennan59
Pro Bowl

I'll start listening to Sapp as soon as he starts learning how to manage his money
Old 06-17-2012, 10:19 PM   #342
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CultBrennan59 View Post
I'll start listening to Sapp as soon as he starts learning how to manage his money
How does how he manage his money impact his opinion of a head coach's ability to adapt? That said I think it has been clearly demonstrated that the shanahans are giving strong lip service to playing to Griffins strengths. True or not we will have to see in the regular season.
Old 06-18-2012, 12:16 AM   #343
tc2deuce
Special Teams

Keep saying stuff like that....please!!!!!!! more fuel for Griff!!
Old 06-18-2012, 12:52 AM   #344
artmonkforhallofamein07
Pro Bowl

He could just be good friends with McNabb.
Old 06-23-2012, 10:59 AM   #345
CultBrennan59
Pro Bowl

Brett Favre would take Robert Griffin III first - NFL.com