Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Who do you want to start at QB?

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: Who Do You Want Starting at QB Opening Day?
John Beck 123 73.65%
Rex Grossman 44 26.35%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 11:17 PM   #331
Mechanix544
The Starter

Re: Who do you want to start at QB?

beck will start. its his job to lose.

Advertisements
Old 09-01-2011, 11:21 PM   #332
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanix544 View Post
It still doesn't feel right to me to go with a guy at QB that has "potential upside" at 30 years old and looks so-so during preseason. Not to say that Rex looked amazing, but I wish Beck had looked the way that Rex looked against the Steelers and Ravens. If Beck was a rookie or younger, I'd be fine...but I dunno. I hope I'm wrong and I will root for the guy, but I'm just iffy about him starting.
R.I.P. #21
Old 09-01-2011, 11:36 PM   #333
SirClintonPortis
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanix544 View Post
Beck can use a little more seasoning.

Besidies, if history wants to repeat itself, Grossman should win the job, then suffers an injury due to some cheap player, and then Beck lights it up for the rest of the season. lol

Virtuosity remembered, douchebaggery forgotten.

The ideal character profile shoved down modern Western men and women's throats is Don Juan.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:42 PM   #334
Ruhskins
Living Legend

I think MS is going to wait until the last possible minute to name a starting QB.
R.I.P. #21
Old 09-01-2011, 11:47 PM   #335
FRPLG
MVP

I'm not sure Beck played as badly as JT would have us believe. I don't think he played well but more just average. KS clearly called a different type of game with a lot more straight drop backs and so forth. Our line strength is not going to be doing that and it showed. JB had a little more in the face pressure and for the most part he handled it OK. Not in love with his game tonight but it wasn't a full on debacle...and it wasn't as poor as JT made it out to be. Given the lack of weapons I'm not sure Rex does any better.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:47 PM   #336
Swarley
The Starter

For what it's worth Beck said that the reason he played today is cause the coaches wanted to give him a few more snaps since he missed the first game.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:57 PM   #337
SirClintonPortis
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
I'm not sure Beck played as badly as JT would have us believe. I don't think he played well but more just average. KS clearly called a different type of game with a lot more straight drop backs and so forth. Our line strength is not going to be doing that and it showed. JB had a little more in the face pressure and for the most part he handled it OK. Not in love with his game tonight but it wasn't a full on debacle...and it wasn't as poor as JT made it out to be. Given the lack of weapons I'm not sure Rex does any better.
Well, he did show that he can display a critical skill of a QB on that one play a defender got free: delivering an ACCURATE strike while being hit. He just needs to do it more often.

But, the game stills seems a tad fast for him, as his dropback is not fluid just yet.

The ideal character profile shoved down modern Western men and women's throats is Don Juan.
Old 09-02-2011, 12:18 AM   #338
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsowilso View Post
Wilso knows.

Grossman is the starter.
I tend to agree. Have kind of felt that way for a while
Old 09-02-2011, 12:20 AM   #339
GusFrerotte

Damn I feel this is Nov 2012 and we have a choice between two shmucks for Pres. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Either choice is sort of lame anymore. Chase Daniel has had more of an impressive preseason than both of these guys statwise. I am almost wishing we still had JC, as our predicament is almost that bad. I see Rex getting hurt, and Beck losing games for us. I mean how can guys like Daniel and Bartel have solid preseasons and they are backups and this guy(Beck) has a mediocre one and I am supposed to think he is going to magically turn it on come 9-11-11 and be a solid starter for us? I really think we need to be concerned about our QB situation for 2011. I also believe we need to draft not one, but two QBs next year.
Old 09-02-2011, 12:24 AM   #340
GusFrerotte

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekSkin View Post
For what it's worth Beck said that the reason he played today is cause the coaches wanted to give him a few more snaps since he missed the first game.

Guy didn't really instill confidence in them either I bet. Whoever wins the starting job does it by default, and that isn't a good sign.
Old 09-02-2011, 12:28 AM   #341
SirClintonPortis
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusFrerotte View Post
Damn I feel this is Nov 2012 and we have a choice between two shmucks for Pres. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Either choice is sort of lame anymore. Chase Daniel has had more of an impressive preseason than both of these guys statwise. I am almost wishing we still had JC, as our predicament is almost that bad. I see Rex getting hurt, and Beck losing games for us. I mean how can guys like Daniel and Bartel have solid preseasons and they are backups and this guy(Beck) has a mediocre one and I am supposed to think he is going to magically turn it on come 9-11-11 and be a solid starter for us? I really think we need to be concerned about our QB situation for 2011. I also believe we need to draft not one, but two QBs next year.
Grossman has been excellent this preseason and Beck's play has displayed established that baseline of mere competence and with the potential for plenty more. Both of them can execute Kyle's offense at a reasonable level that the passing game will have to be respected.

Campbell is a wuss who NEVER did well when he's about to get hit or was being hit. His vision went to crap and he just looked for Cooley. Not only that, but he was never particularly confident about "gunning it in", something BOTH Beck and Grossman have no qualms about.

Old 09-02-2011, 12:36 AM   #342
Paintrain
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusFrerotte View Post
Only our damn fan base is concerned about next years draft before the regular season even begins. Really dude? Can't you wait until Oct. 1 at least until we have a pulse of the team? So annoying.

I'm not dead but this team is dead to me...but now that McCloughan is here they may have new life!

Jay Gruden = Zorny McSpurrier
Kirk Cousins = Next Grossman
Old 09-02-2011, 03:31 AM   #343
Swarley
The Starter

not to mention that both QB's had a fairly good pre-season (besides this game for Beck)
Old 09-02-2011, 06:49 AM   #344
irish
Playmaker

I wonder if the reason Beck has never established himself as a starter is that he's just not consistent from game to game, good game then bad game. He didnt look good at all last night.
Old 09-02-2011, 07:24 AM   #345
Beemnseven
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
I wonder if the reason Beck has never established himself as a starter is that he's just not consistent from game to game, good game then bad game. He didnt look good at all last night.
He didn't look good "at all" last night? Really?

Sure, he had some throws that he'd like to have back, maybe more so than in any game we've seen so far in exhibition. But he still made some completions under pressure, with zip and accuracy in the intermediate yardage range that we never saw with either Donovan McNabb last year, nor with Jason Campbell the previous five years.

I don't know how with one bad night we can hang the Inconsistent Tag around his neck, as though it's going to be an ongoing problem with him. We just don't know that yet.
Closed Thread