Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

NFL Draft Thread

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 04-29-2023, 05:22 PM   #331
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Re: NFL Draft Thread

Ekiyor Pace Kuntz all still on the board.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-29-2023, 05:28 PM   #332
EdmundDorf
The Starter

Nicki Jhabvala on Twitter

Quote:
The Commanders had a 3rd-round grade on RB Chris Rodriguez Jr., per sources.
EdmundDorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 05:29 PM   #333
EdmundDorf
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
Ekiyor Pace Kuntz all still on the board.
Kuntz to the Jets
EdmundDorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 05:35 PM   #334
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmundDorf View Post
Yeah, maybe they see Gibson in that role or maybe EB doesn't have that role in the new offense but I think he had it in Kansas City. Still might be looking at McKinnon
I think we will see Gibson running more routes this season honestly.

Shameless self-promotion. It is what it is.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 08:19 PM   #335
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
I'm just glad they have addressed the most glaring need this offseason - the O-line, with Gates, Wylie, Stromberg, Daniels - so far.
For sure, we can't say they didn't address it. But my concern (not meaning I'm positive that they failed, meaning I'm worried) is they did it in a very Ronish way: focusing on position flex. In the end, apart from Wylie who is a very good signing IMO, who are we confident will be a clear cut improvement over what we had last year ? And I mean, our OL was BAD last year. Not just because of injuries.
Sure depth and position flex are nice, but you do need some quality starters.

In that view, I like the 4th round pick who could turn out to be a valuable pick (even though he most likely is another quality depth guy), but I don't understand the 3rd round pick, you can find legit starters in the 3rd and we got another position flex guy...

So we can for sure say we improved our Oline's bench, but to what extent did we improve our starting Oline ?

That and the fact they still haven't properly addressed LB is a head scratcher to me.

3rd round grade RB in the 6th is nice. 2 others depth edge rushers makes zero sense to me in our situation.

Yeah yeah I know, we can still sign guys. But I have this weird feeling Ron is satisfied with this roster and we'll get another year (3rd in a row?) of "why. the. f. didn't they sign another LB ?".
Old 04-29-2023, 10:11 PM   #336
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

NFL Draft Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchSkin View Post
For sure, we can't say they didn't address it. But my concern (not meaning I'm positive that they failed, meaning I'm worried) is they did it in a very Ronish way: focusing on position flex. In the end, apart from Wylie who is a very good signing IMO, who are we confident will be a clear cut improvement over what we had last year ? And I mean, our OL was BAD last year. Not just because of injuries.

In that view, I like the 4th round pick who could turn out to be a valuable pick (even though he most likely is another quality depth guy), but I don't understand the 3rd round pick, you can find legit starters in the 3rd and we got another position flex guy...

So we can for sure say we improved our Oline's bench, but to what extent did we improve our starting Oline ?

That and the fact they still haven't properly addressed LB is a head scratcher to me.

3rd round grade RB in the 6th is nice. 2 others depth edge rushers makes zero sense to me in our situation.

Yeah yeah I know, we can still sign guys. But I have this weird feeling Ron is satisfied with this roster and we'll get another year (3rd in a row?) of "why. the. f. didn't they sign another LB ?".

Agree with this except KJ Henry is gonna be a good player and most likely Chase or Montez is gone after the year. I think Henry can contribute greatly this year too.

With the RB that was Ron and Martins grade. I don’t think many had him graded as a third rounder at all. Would have liked Kuntz the TE there. Fast, strong, size, good hands. Only thing that kept him outta the early rounds was going to a small school.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 11:50 PM   #337
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:

You can dislike many things RR has done as head coach, but since he's been here, I have not seen him dial it down after the draft - satisfied with the roster. Many moves have been made between the draft and the start of the season over the last few years.

I don't understand why position flex is a bad thing. Just because someone is versatile, and can play multiple positions, doesn't mean he isn't a quality starter. Position flex = depth. Injuries are going to happen, and you can't have a bunch of one-trick ponies on your O-line and expect to get through those times. The number 1 thing I think everyone said we had to do this offseason is improve the O-line. Is Gates not better than Norwell? Is Wylie not better than Lucas? Stromberg and Daniels have a shot to come in and compete for a starting spot. The interior of the O-line looks a lot better now than it did at season's end, as does RT. Would Avila, Schmitz, Torrance, or someone else (if they were drafted) have come in and been a clear-cut starter? Maybe...but no one knows that for sure, anymore than they know that Stromberg or Daniels won't. Do I wish we had the chance to draft a guy like B. Jones in the first? Absolutely, but that's not the way the draft fell. LT is a position that we still need to address in my opinion. Maybe they can still do something about it this year, maybe not. Time will tell.

As far as LB goes, we just have to get used to the idea that they are going to run Davis and Barton out there for the majority of snaps, and use a DB to cover down. That's the scheme, and it can work (it has worked) - especially now that they have seemingly improved the secondary as well.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 12:39 AM   #338
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
You can dislike many things RR has done as head coach, but since he's been here, I have not seen him dial it down after the draft - satisfied with the roster. Many moves have been made between the draft and the start of the season over the last few years.

I don't understand why position flex is a bad thing. Just because someone is versatile, and can play multiple positions, doesn't mean he isn't a quality starter. Position flex = depth. Injuries are going to happen, and you can't have a bunch of one-trick ponies on your O-line and expect to get through those times. The number 1 thing I think everyone said we had to do this offseason is improve the O-line. Is Gates not better than Norwell? Is Wylie not better than Lucas? Stromberg and Daniels have a shot to come in and compete for a starting spot. The interior of the O-line looks a lot better now than it did at season's end, as does RT. Would Avila, Schmitz, Torrance, or someone else (if they were drafted) have come in and been a clear-cut starter? Maybe...but no one knows that for sure, anymore than they know that Stromberg or Daniels won't. Do I wish we had the chance to draft a guy like B. Jones in the first? Absolutely, but that's not the way the draft fell. LT is a position that we still need to address in my opinion. Maybe they can still do something about it this year, maybe not. Time will tell.

As far as LB goes, we just have to get used to the idea that they are going to run Davis and Barton out there for the majority of snaps, and use a DB to cover down. That's the scheme, and it can work (it has worked) - especially now that they have seemingly improved the secondary as well.
It's not that position flex is a bad thing. It's that it feels like Ron prioritizes this over other skills. Hence we end up with Stromberg who is viewed a back up by many. In the 3rd round you can expect to find starters.

Wylie is the only clear cut upgrade IMO. We can hope Gates is better than Norwell... But that's not a guarantee. We thought we were getting a very decent vet in Norwell. And we think we're getting a solid vet in Gates... Let's pray our hopes are legit this time around...

Barton is a good signing... But if one of him or Davis gets hurt were back to David Ketchup.
How can we go full depth on the secondary, Oline and Dline "because injuries happen", but with LB "meh, we got 2 decentish starters, we'll be fine!" ?

Envoyé de mon SHV48 en utilisant Tapatalk
Old 04-30-2023, 12:44 AM   #339
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
Agree with this except KJ Henry is gonna be a good player and most likely Chase or Montez is gone after the year. I think Henry can contribute greatly this year too.

With the RB that was Ron and Martins grade. I don’t think many had him graded as a third rounder at all. Would have liked Kuntz the TE there. Fast, strong, size, good hands. Only thing that kept him outta the early rounds was going to a small school.
Let's hope KJ Henry is a good player. But even with Chase or Sweat most likely being gone next season, here are our other edge rushers:

Casey Toohill, James Smith-Williams, Bradley William King, Efe Obada

So with our other needs I still think our 5th round could have been better spent.

Old 04-30-2023, 12:53 AM   #340
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
It's not that position flex is a bad thing. It's that it feels like Ron prioritizes this over other skills. Hence we end up with Stromberg who is viewed a back up by many. In the 3rd round you can expect to find starters.

Wylie is the only clear cut upgrade IMO. We can hope Gates is better than Norwell... But that's not a guarantee. We thought we were getting a very decent vet in Norwell. And we think we're getting a solid vet in Gates... Let's pray our hopes are legit this time around...

Barton is a good signing... But if one of him or Davis gets hurt were back to David Ketchup.
How can we go full depth on the secondary, Oline and Dline "because injuries happen", but with LB "meh, we got 2 decentish starters, we'll be fine!" ?

It's because of the type of defense JDR likes to run. Despite all our complaining about how they haven't addressed the LB position, we have had a top 10 defense in 2 of the last 3 years. They may be even better this year.
Old 04-30-2023, 01:32 AM   #341
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
It's because of the type of defense JDR likes to run. Despite all our complaining about how they haven't addressed the LB position, we have had a top 10 defense in 2 of the last 3 years. They may be even better this year.
That's what makes it even more frustrating IMO. They're building a very solid roster on defense and leave this gaping hole in the middle for team to exploit and run it down our throat at times. It ain't that hard to fix, that's why them not really doing it is excruciating.

Again, I think Ron has done a very solid job drafting, and not so much with the FA, but this year with a very promising start to the offseason, I was expecting the draft to answer needs better, cause despite this "lame duck year" feeling, this roster as a lot of strengths, if Sam Howell plays well we could be a very good team... But in very competitive division, having a mediocre Oline and David Mayo in the middle of your defense (one injury away), won't cut it.
Old 04-30-2023, 02:23 AM   #342
AnonEmouse
The Starter

TBH I'm leaning towards French's take. Less bothered about LB though it is a weakness (trade coming up maybe?), than the lack of a road grader on the OL. We may have potentially the best DL in the division if not the league, but that doesn't mean everyone else's are bad. Most everyone else in the division is now able to keep their QB upright against our pass rush and run it down our throats. We can't say the same. EB better be able to scheme up a way for us to chew up clock when we need to because I don't see us as a power run O or consistently making big plays passing while SH is operating outside the pocket a lot.

The one thing I do think we've improved on is the ability to get turnovers, notably INTs, on D. We'll need them.
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 03:22 AM   #343
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
That's what makes it even more frustrating IMO. They're building a very solid roster on defense and leave this gaping hole in the middle for team to exploit and run it down our throat at times. It ain't that hard to fix, that's why them not really doing it is excruciating.

Again, I think Ron has done a very solid job drafting, and not so much with the FA, but this year with a very promising start to the offseason, I was expecting the draft to answer needs better, cause despite this "lame duck year" feeling, this roster as a lot of strengths, if Sam Howell plays well we could be a very good team... But in very competitive division, having a mediocre Oline and David Mayo in the middle of your defense (one injury away), won't cut it.
Draftees don't have a choice but to come here. Free agents do. Can't blame Ron for not bringing in players who don't want to be here.

I don't see LB as a gaping hole. The mostly play a 4-2-5. We have two solid starters with Jamin improving, and some serviceable depth. Truth is, every team is an injury away from a mediocre 'Mayo-type' guy coming in for meaningful snaps.
Old 04-30-2023, 09:04 AM   #344
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Draftees don't have a choice but to come here. Free agents do. Can't blame Ron for not bringing in players who don't want to be here.

I don't see LB as a gaping hole. The mostly play a 4-2-5. We have two solid starters with Jamin improving, and some serviceable depth. Truth is, every team is an injury away from a mediocre 'Mayo-type' guy coming in for meaningful snaps.
I kinda disagree with the serviceable aspect of our LB depth. But your last argument is absolutely valid. I just think it wouldn't cost us that much (cap/picks) to not be in that position.
Old 04-30-2023, 09:13 AM   #345
AnonEmouse
The Starter

Anyone know why we don't seem to do much initially in the UDFA market or do they just keep quiet on signings? No word of any post draft signings...
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote