Ron Rivera

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 01-03-2023, 11:48 PM   #1
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Re: Ron Rivera

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchSkin View Post
Agreed, as bad as we all want to see a total reset happen asap, the most important is that it does happen. Even later than we want it to.
It would be disastrous if Dan hired a new staff now, let this lethargic regime end after the sell.

Envoyé de mon SHV48 en utilisant Tapatalk
You're a wise man. Send me whatever cheese you're eating.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 05:48 AM   #2
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
You're a wise man. Send me whatever cheese you're eating.
I can't: pretty sure it's illegal in your country

Envoyé de mon SHV48 en utilisant Tapatalk
Old 01-04-2023, 12:57 AM   #3
That Guy
Living Legend

new owner
new GM
new coaching staff
find a QB/fix the O-line

really need all 4 if you want consistent winning.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 11:37 AM   #4
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

When (if it actually happens) the sale is finalized we will all be walking around with Major Tuddy's, and we won't give a fuck if Rivera is here for 1 more year or not.

That will become a holiday date for us. The pure joy seeing that headline across the news will be a seminal moment in our lives.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 11:56 AM   #5
EdmundDorf
The Starter

Unless of course the new owner already has someone in line for the job.
EdmundDorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 12:04 PM   #6
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
When (if it actually happens) the sale is finalized we will all be walking around with Major Tuddy's, and we won't give a fuck if Rivera is here for 1 more year or not.

That will become a holiday date for us. The pure joy seeing that headline across the news will be a seminal moment in our lives.
Honestly it will feel like winning a SB for me
Old 01-04-2023, 06:09 PM   #7
AnonEmouse
The Starter

RR seems to me a case of reach exceeding grasp. He's convinced himself he is a good HC (and GM?) but he lacks the perspective and supporting cast to help learn from his mistakes and highlight (and deal with) his weaknesses. He clearly connects with his players, as shown by their testimonials, so he's a great positional coach, even coordinator. But not a HC and not a GM. Can't help thinking this is his last rodeo, if only because he needs to consider his health. I can't see another HC job in his future given his record and the number of young coaches doing through. Maybe he can be a consultant like Fangio? No responsibility but there to impart wisdom. But right now he's a lame duck and unless ownership changes soon I almost actually feel sorry for him being possibly 'trapped' in a job he isn't fit for. OTOH, he doesn't need the money, so he should probably stand down. Got a feeling his pride won't let him.
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 07:23 AM   #8
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonEmouse View Post
RR seems to me a case of reach exceeding grasp. He's convinced himself he is a good HC (and GM?) but he lacks the perspective and supporting cast to help learn from his mistakes and highlight (and deal with) his weaknesses. He clearly connects with his players, as shown by their testimonials, so he's a great positional coach, even coordinator. But not a HC and not a GM. Can't help thinking this is his last rodeo, if only because he needs to consider his health. I can't see another HC job in his future given his record and the number of young coaches doing through. Maybe he can be a consultant like Fangio? No responsibility but there to impart wisdom. But right now he's a lame duck and unless ownership changes soon I almost actually feel sorry for him being possibly 'trapped' in a job he isn't fit for. OTOH, he doesn't need the money, so he should probably stand down. Got a feeling his pride won't let him.

My best friend and I had almost the same conversation a few nights ago.

This is probably Ron's last spin as a HC. I could see him staying in the NFL as a coordinator, but a HC has to have a lot of awareness on a million different things going on at once. Not realizing that your team could be eliminated from the playoffs is a pretty big mistake. Made even worse by the fact that he switched back to Carson Wentz, seemingly oblivious that it was a must-win game.

I think when history settles on the RR tenure here, most of us will agree that he was over matched and in over his head from the very beginning, and the little "success" that he found here was done in spite of having the whole burning trash fire of Jason Wright and Dan Snyder. So I will give credit where credit is due. Ron was not the best hire, he was not even close to being the best, but he was the best of the worst that would agree to come here under Dan Snyder, and we have saw far, far worse tenures than what came under Ron.
Old 01-05-2023, 08:27 AM   #9
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake84 View Post
My best friend and I had almost the same conversation a few nights ago.

This is probably Ron's last spin as a HC. I could see him staying in the NFL as a coordinator, but a HC has to have a lot of awareness on a million different things going on at once. Not realizing that your team could be eliminated from the playoffs is a pretty big mistake. Made even worse by the fact that he switched back to Carson Wentz, seemingly oblivious that it was a must-win game.

I think when history settles on the RR tenure here, most of us will agree that he was over matched and in over his head from the very beginning, and the little "success" that he found here was done in spite of having the whole burning trash fire of Jason Wright and Dan Snyder. So I will give credit where credit is due. Ron was not the best hire, he was not even close to being the best, but he was the best of the worst that would agree to come here under Dan Snyder, and we have saw far, far worse tenures than what came under Ron.
I agree RR is probably done as a HC and GM at this point.

But not knowing the playoff scenario really is not a big deal, honestly its a great life skill not to worry about the things you can't control, he was laser focused on what he could control.

Going to Wentz was not a mistake the mistake was keeping him in the game after the 2nd half; by mid 3rd quarter it was obvious CW was not the answer, i am not a TH fan but he does boost this team up, if he came rolling in mid 3rd he might been the spark we needed.

There was honestly no fix all QB correct decision to make. RR choices were poop, shit and crap. All three stink, maybe Sam is the answer but he is too young now to bring in for a playoff push so RR is down to poop and shit to try to make it to the playoffs.

Even RR said at the beginning of the year when he got in hot water with CW, he said the difference in the NFE East race was the QB play.

In the end this franchise needs a complete refresh, starting with ownership obviously; until that happens complaining about anything else would be equivalent to complaining about the color of the walls in your bathroom as a F5 tornado rips your home from its foundation.
Old 01-05-2023, 09:07 AM   #10
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
I agree RR is probably done as a HC and GM at this point.

But not knowing the playoff scenario really is not a big deal, honestly its a great life skill not to worry about the things you can't control, he was laser focused on what he could control.

Going to Wentz was not a mistake the mistake was keeping him in the game after the 2nd half; by mid 3rd quarter it was obvious CW was not the answer, i am not a TH fan but he does boost this team up, if he came rolling in mid 3rd he might been the spark we needed.

There was honestly no fix all QB correct decision to make. RR choices were poop, shit and crap. All three stink, maybe Sam is the answer but he is too young now to bring in for a playoff push so RR is down to poop and shit to try to make it to the playoffs.

Even RR said at the beginning of the year when he got in hot water with CW, he said the difference in the NFE East race was the QB play.

In the end this franchise needs a complete refresh, starting with ownership obviously; until that happens complaining about anything else would be equivalent to complaining about the color of the walls in your bathroom as a F5 tornado rips your home from its foundation.
I pretty much agree with you on all of this. I don't really care if RR knew or realized the playoff scenarios. I'd rather him be figuring out the game plan than worrying about things he has no control over.

With the QB choice, you're right, the choices were not good. If Howell was the answer he would have been playing weeks ago. There's no good choice between CW and TH. Perhaps TH could have pulled out that game, and maybe not. Maybe he could have come in after the first half and provided a spark, and maybe not. I wanted CW to start, because I thought he had the most upside. The two at their best, I don't think it's a close race with regard to who is the better QB. Fact is, Heinicke hadn't won a must win game in over a month... What makes anyone think that was going to change on Sunday?

Oh well, another offseason of hopes and dreams... At least it looks like we'll have a new owner at some point. For me that makes up for anything that happened or didn't happen this year. There is some real change to look forward to.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 09:32 AM   #11
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
I pretty much agree with you on all of this. I don't really care if RR knew or realized the playoff scenarios. I'd rather him be figuring out the game plan than worrying about things he has no control over.

With the QB choice, you're right, the choices were not good. If Howell was the answer he would have been playing weeks ago. There's no good choice between CW and TH. Perhaps TH could have pulled out that game, and maybe not. Maybe he could have come in after the first half and provided a spark, and maybe not. I wanted CW to start, because I thought he had the most upside. The two at their best, I don't think it's a close race with regard to who is the better QB. Fact is, Heinicke hadn't won a must win game in over a month... What makes anyone think that was going to change on Sunday?

Oh well, another offseason of hopes and dreams... At least it looks like we'll have a new owner at some point. For me that makes up for anything that happened or didn't happen this year. There is some real change to look forward to.
As a QB1 skill wise I 100% agree with you. I loath TH; not the person just the whole fools gold that he is and how he alters decisions on draft day or gives leadership the false sense of security they are set at QB (now hopefully they see it). Even worst then him was Haskins; if we had never drafted him we would have gone Tau or Herbert in the draft over CY.

With that said there is something about TH that fires up the rest of this team they rally behind him; it is a intangible. I believe CW pound for pound skill wise is better then TH but come mid 3rd quarter last Sunday RR should have pulled the TH intangible out and see how the team responded.

Liston to this Robinson interview its very telling:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lH7XgbK-ZD0

He admits they were lacking energy; that is the intangible TH brings!

Its all hindsight at this point but my takeaway was CW as starter was the right call but his leash needed to be much much shorter; what did RR have to lose by pulling CW its not like he is Rogers and you want keep him happy. Keeping CW in too long last Sunday was RR's biggest error of the day maybe the season.
Old 01-05-2023, 10:05 AM   #12
SunnySide
Playmaker

Howell will be Rons 8th different starting QB in 3 years

Really wish we figured out a QB1. He tried to get Stafford and Wilson but they didnt want to come here. Left to pick btw Wentz or Mayfield or Trubisky or Heinike

Ron is a good head coach and leader of men, I think Scott Turner is a good OC and I think JDR proved capable more often than not.

With no QB1, best case scenario is .500 and sniffing playoffs.

Colts (4-11), Panthers (6-10), Falcons (6-10), Seahawks (8-8), Steelers (8-8) ... about where you end up with a decent roster but no QB1

Ron certainly deserves A LOT better than what is being said about him on here and throughout the DMV

Some really short sighted knee jerk reaction comments, frustrating bc I know some yall follow the team close, followed this offseason close ... but act like Ron had any choice of QB in the league and passed on Mahomes to pick Wentz.

It was Wentz or Trubisky ... or tank w Heinike but Ron doesnt tank, and players play and respect Ron bc Ron doesnt tank.

Ron is better than we deserved and we are spitting on the mans back as he leaves bc he couldnt wave his magic wand and make a competent QB appear under our christmas tree
Old 01-05-2023, 10:39 AM   #13
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post

Really wish we figured out a QB1. He tried to get Stafford and Wilson but they didnt want to come here. Left to pick btw Wentz or Mayfield or Trubisky or Heinike

Ron is a good head coach and leader of men, I think Scott Turner is a good OC and I think JDR proved capable more often than not.

Colts (4-11), Panthers (6-10), Falcons (6-10), Seahawks (8-8), Steelers (8-8) ... about where you end up with a decent roster but no QB1

Ron certainly deserves A LOT better than what is being said about him on here and throughout the DMV

Some really short sighted knee jerk reaction comments, frustrating bc I know some yall follow the team close, followed this offseason close ... but act like Ron had any choice of QB in the league and passed on Mahomes to pick Wentz.

It was Wentz or Trubisky ... or tank w Heinike but Ron doesnt tank, and players play and respect Ron bc Ron doesnt tank.

Ron is better than we deserved and we are spitting on the mans back as he leaves bc he couldnt wave his magic wand and make a competent QB appear under our christmas tree
I think something interesting to see next year is how the team functions free from Dan Snyder. At the end of the day, nothing is going to function with Snyder in the picture.

We've had two awful QBs this year, one that happens to win every now and then. And the other who was likely chosen by our stupid owner. You're not going to win consistently in that scenario, no matter how good of a coach you are.

I hope Howell has developed and is able to show something. It'd be nice to have a competent QB next year with the talent we have on offense.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 10:47 AM   #14
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post

I think RR has done a good job with the hand he was dealt with.

He is a average coach in the NFL , look at his record, he has been around long enough to know what he is.

If he is released/fired see how quickly someone else picks him up , that will be the telling sign of his worth.
Old 01-05-2023, 02:56 PM   #15
irish
Playmaker

This is from Barry Svrluga's article in today's Wash Post. Ron's a below mediocre coach.

Rivera’s dozen seasons have ended with a winning record just three times, a 25 percent rate. No one who has coached more games has a lower rate of winning seasons — though Sam Wyche, who took the Cincinnati Bengals to a Super Bowl and later coached in Tampa Bay, also went three for 12. Lovie Smith, Lou Saban, Jon Gruden, Norv Turner, Marvin Lewis, Weeb Ewbank and Jeff Fisher all coached more games than Rivera and won a lower percentage of them. But all seven of those coaches posted winning records more often.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote