Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Commanders 2024 NFL Draft Thread

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 04-28-2024, 07:12 PM   #316
rocnrik
Playmaker

Re: Commanders 2024 NFL Draft Thread

New Owner, Top GM, super bowl head coach, top QB prospect, solid D line , added D help , solid Wr.. added TE .. i'm optimistic !
rocnrik is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-28-2024, 07:25 PM   #317
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocnrik View Post
New Owner, Top GM, super bowl head coach, top QB prospect, solid D line , added D help , solid Wr.. added TE .. i'm optimistic !
Spring is Kool Aid season.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 08:23 PM   #318
calia
Playmaker

This is pretty wild - tells you what Peters values.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-28-2024, 08:37 PM   #319
Illiniflight33
Camp Scrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensewins View Post
I really like Jer'Zhan Newton. This description suits him well, "He has shock in his mitts to jolt blockers. He mixes up his moves to generate sacks/pressures, routinely employing a violent club/swim and a quick-swipe maneuver. He also incorporates a Houdini-like move where he sticks his hand out and gets OTs to lunge at it before pulling it away and clearing the block."
Illinois fan here. Have watched Newton his whole career.

Johnny Newton is possibly my favorite player of all time.

Great kid on and off the field. A super hard worker.

He was literally the highest rated DT by PFF over the last few years. The kid was disruptive on both offense and defense, and there were times he was being triple teamed. only player I've ever seen get triple teamed.

He is a great pass rusher, incredibly fast and athletic (was a RB in high school), and doesnt take plays off.

Easily the best player on the field in every game he played this season. A real stud.

If he stays healthy, and I think he will, Newton is going to be the steal of this draft.
Illiniflight33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 09:04 PM   #320
Illiniflight33
Camp Scrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsnut View Post
We needed 5 starters out of our 6 round 1-3 picks, we got 1. Here's the positive part. I think we finally got a franchise QB!
Newton will be a starter for you guys.
Old 04-28-2024, 09:34 PM   #321
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illiniflight33 View Post
Newton will be a starter for you guys.
In front of Payne and Allen?

It is interesting that Peters went bpa for that pick but Sainristil had a consensus value of 60 but was taken with the 50th pick and Sinnot taken at 53 but a consensus ranking in the 80s. Clearly he was drafting for something other than bpa. I can see the difference between 50 and 60 being negligible however.
Old 04-28-2024, 10:13 PM   #322
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreSkins View Post

It is interesting that Peters went bpa for that pick but Sainristil had a consensus value of 60 but was taken with the 50th pick and Sinnot taken at 53 but a consensus ranking in the 80s. Clearly he was drafting for something other than bpa. I can see the difference between 50 and 60 being negligible however.
I think that just shows you how different actual NFL teams' evaluations are compared to all the rankings published prior to the drafts. A big factor is obviously fit for the team too, which none of those rankings take into account.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 11:09 PM   #323
WCommandersfan99
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illiniflight33 View Post
Illinois fan here. Have watched Newton his whole career.

Johnny Newton is possibly my favorite player of all time.

Great kid on and off the field. A super hard worker.

He was literally the highest rated DT by PFF over the last few years. The kid was disruptive on both offense and defense, and there were times he was being triple teamed. only player I've ever seen get triple teamed.

He is a great pass rusher, incredibly fast and athletic (was a RB in high school), and doesnt take plays off.

Easily the best player on the field in every game he played this season. A real stud.

If he stays healthy, and I think he will, Newton is going to be the steal of this draft.
Wow. This is a fantastic endorsement. Have to admit, I was surprised by the pick but now I see why. Commanders loaded at dt!
WCommandersfan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 12:55 AM   #324
Illiniflight33
Camp Scrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreSkins View Post

Look, he is a rookie, and coaches are always slow to play rookies. Especially over veterans.

And its not uncommon for defensive coaches to alternate guys around on the DL. But I really think Newton will be an all-pro caliber DT before his career is over.

He fell to the second round because he played the second half of the season with a broken foot and missed the combine. Also he is slightly shorter and slightly smaller reach than the ideal.

Honestly, I'm not worried about those things, I think his elite explosiveness, speed and drive will more than make up for those things.

He was literally the best DT in the draft, how he made it to the second round is mystifying to me. You guys got a great pick.
Old 04-29-2024, 07:49 AM   #325
Darrell Green Fan
Special Teams

As all the picks were offensive players I just knew that some first round defensive players would slip. Happy to see we got one of them. Thanks for the write up Illini, this is the guy I'm most excited about after Daniels.
Darrell Green Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 08:12 AM   #326
njant
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by calia View Post
This is pretty wild - tells you what Peters values.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wow impressive high character
njant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 08:39 AM   #327
PorkSkins
Playmaker

A solid interview this morning via The Junkies and Mike Lombardi referring to many coaches do not know how to coach QBs. Lombardi had a quote from the late, great Bill Walsh regarding coaches not being understanding the nuances of coaching QBs. The quote allowed Lombardi to segue into Washington gave up too soon on Howell, and how the offense was setup for Howell to fail.

We were either last or close to last with anything regarded to running the football, but was 7th in the league ypc. Lombardi didn't particularly take issue with drafting Daniels, but moreso he had an issue with us giving up so quickly on Howell, and felt we should've kept Howell instead of jettisoning him and picking up Mariota. Lombardi isn't a fan of Mariota (neither am I), and feels Howell is the better QB of the two (I, too,
thought we should've kept Howell).

Hopefully, we're in a position where we barely need Mariota on the field or none at all.
PorkSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 08:51 AM   #328
MTK
\m/

I get the concern about tackle, but for me the most important and impactful thing of this draft is going to be JD and whether or not he becomes an elite level franchise QB that can lead this team for the next decade. We've had elite left tackles here through the years and haven't won shit with them.

QB above all else. If Daniels becomes that dude, that's all we'll remember about this draft.
Old 04-29-2024, 08:59 AM   #329
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Commanders 2024 NFL Draft Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
I get the concern about tackle, but for me the most important and impactful thing of this draft is going to be JD and whether or not he becomes an elite level franchise QB that can lead this team for the next decade. We've had elite left tackles here through the years and haven't won shit with them.

QB above all else. If Daniels becomes that dude, that's all we'll remember about this draft.

Duplicate post
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 09:04 AM   #330
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post

I think a QB needs that LT. Doesn’t have to be elite, but certainly can’t be Wylie and a rookie projected as a G. If they go into the year with that combo at OT I have no problem letting JD sit as opposed to getting killed.

The elite LT’s we have had can’t do it by themselves (they had shit at QB), the QB can’t do it by themselves either. They need protection.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote