Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

Coronavirus (non political)

Parking Lot

Old 03-24-2020, 06:14 PM   #316
htownskinfan
JUST LIVIN

Re: Coronavirus (non political)

My work{family owned jewelry store outside Houston}closed yesterday,supposed to be temporary but I dont know if it's going to pull thru or not.We've had very few customers the past week and we we're the only store left open in the strip center because everyone else had shut down because of the virus.Now Houston has ordered the shelter in place except for essential personnel till April 3rd{but I'm thinking this will be extended,shit wont be over by then}.
Before Hurricane Harvey in 2017 they remodeled store at a cost of around 100 grand,then Harvey hits and floods the place{no flood insurance}so they take out small biz loan to re-open,now this.I dont think they can survive for extended period.I've been a jeweler for them almost 25 years,it is very depressing to think I will have to start over somewhere else after all this time at 58 years old,and thats if I will be able to find work.The jewelry stores that do survive the shutdown will not be looking to hire anyone,it's not like things are going to pick up just like they were before the virus hit,it's going to take awhile before things recover.

Advertisements
Old 03-24-2020, 07:12 PM   #317
MTK
\m/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-24-2020, 10:31 PM   #318
Giantone
Gamebreaker

LOL, very nice!
Old 03-25-2020, 08:35 AM   #319
htownskinfan
JUST LIVIN

I haven’t been watching the news because it’s too depressing, but I looked at the headlines this morning and saw Congress passed the stimulus bill last night that will be giving loans to small businesses that they don’t have to pay back if they keep paying their employees,WOW!
If this actually happens I am so thankful, this will probably save my job.
Old 03-25-2020, 12:43 PM   #320
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownskinfan View Post
My work{family owned jewelry store outside Houston}closed yesterday,supposed to be temporary but I dont know if it's going to pull thru or not.We've had very few customers the past week and we we're the only store left open in the strip center because everyone else had shut down because of the virus.Now Houston has ordered the shelter in place except for essential personnel till April 3rd{but I'm thinking this will be extended,shit wont be over by then}.
Before Hurricane Harvey in 2017 they remodeled store at a cost of around 100 grand,then Harvey hits and floods the place{no flood insurance}so they take out small biz loan to re-open,now this.I dont think they can survive for extended period.I've been a jeweler for them almost 25 years,it is very depressing to think I will have to start over somewhere else after all this time at 58 years old,and thats if I will be able to find work.The jewelry stores that do survive the shutdown will not be looking to hire anyone,it's not like things are going to pick up just like they were before the virus hit,it's going to take awhile before things recover.
I definitely agree. I think this crisis is going to cause people to put more money toward savings as they would in the past. This is probably the first time in many people's working lives they got blind sided and cut off from a steady pay check.

Before the great recession of 2008 I had 23 active customers in the limousine building industry, that I sold upgraded charging and air conditioning systems to. The recession pretty much wiped them all out and only two of them are in business today and one of those now makes cop cars. What many people don't realize is most limousines go to transportation companies that cater to the average Joe for weddings, prom night, funerals,etc. A very small chunk of their business is personal limousines bought by the wealthy.

I am kind of wondering the hit I will take as I am a small machine shop, and I only have 2 customers that are recession proof medical and those make up about 15% of my gross sales. Probably 25% of my business is gun related. Which I suppose will improve as I hear people are rushing out to buy guns to protect their stash of toilet paper. The other 60% are hobby related. I figure a lot of people are going to put a big chunk of their entertainment budget in a savings account for a good long while. I have a feeling this is going to cause people to want to double their emergency cash fund.
Buffalo Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 05:19 PM   #321
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

I wonder if Sunnyside ever found any toilet paper. The country store close to me has it again, but the local as in 30 miles away Walmart is still out. I just went to the pharmacy and was talking to people who were shopping. There were also signs all over the place saying limit one on all items. So what if somebody is buying soup, you can only have one can of soup? The Safeway my girlfriend shopped at this past weekend had limits but they varied by type of item.
Old 03-26-2020, 10:51 AM   #322
SunnySide
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Bob View Post
I wonder if Sunnyside ever found any toilet paper. The country store close to me has it again, but the local as in 30 miles away Walmart is still out. I just went to the pharmacy and was talking to people who were shopping. There were also signs all over the place saying limit one on all items. So what if somebody is buying soup, you can only have one can of soup? The Safeway my girlfriend shopped at this past weekend had limits but they varied by type of item.
morning bob,

ive stopped going to stores, so no I havent found any. we have 4.5 rolls left. my reusable toilet paper baby wipes things came in from amazon, i feel like i just bought 30 wash clothes honestly. they will be handy for many things even if i dont use them for bathroom uses.

im basically just going to work then home at this point. brought my daughter into work on tuesday and she immediately touched public door handles, putting her fingers in her mouth etc ... so I had a panic attack and yesterday we just stayed home.

awesome day, we cleaned her room, did some homework, went for a long nature walk playing imagination minecraft, had a pizza delivered by a guy practically in a hazmat suit.
Old 03-26-2020, 05:32 PM   #323
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

I went to the local Food Lion today to get things I cannot buy at the country stores off the beaten path. I cruised the toilet paper, paper towel, and facial tissue isle just for the hell of it, totally cleaned out, except for 5 boxes of facial tissue. I was just there to buy OTC meds and supplements, those still had decent stock. I asked the clerk ringing up my order if the hoarding and insanity are starting to die down. He said no, and they got an overnight shipment of TP and the like late Saturday night that was put on the shelves after closing. The store opened at 7am Sunday morning and by noon their normal week's shipment of TP was gone.

All I can say is "Are you kidding me?". This hoarding and panic are making things so much worse. Your hoarding can be taking things away from people who really need them.
Old 03-27-2020, 11:45 AM   #324
Back2RFK
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownskinfan View Post

Does the store have a web page they could sell Jewelry on line? Do you have a customer base you could email and have special deals to get money moving?
Back2RFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 11:47 AM   #325
Back2RFK
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post
morning bob,

ive stopped going to stores, so no I havent found any. we have 4.5 rolls left. my reusable toilet paper baby wipes things came in from amazon, i feel like i just bought 30 wash clothes honestly. they will be handy for many things even if i dont use them for bathroom uses.

im basically just going to work then home at this point. brought my daughter into work on tuesday and she immediately touched public door handles, putting her fingers in her mouth etc ... so I had a panic attack and yesterday we just stayed home.

awesome day, we cleaned her room, did some homework, went for a long nature walk playing imagination minecraft, had a pizza delivered by a guy practically in a hazmat suit.
Are you a single father?
Old 03-27-2020, 12:16 PM   #326
SunnySide
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back2RFK View Post
Are you a single father?
Yes, her mom lives up the street and we are very cool with each other. Doing a family movie night tomorrow.
-------------------------

The number of known coronavirus cases in Louisiana jumped to 2,305 on Thursday, an increase of 510 cases from Wednesday, and a total of 83 deaths, according to the Louisiana Department of Health. Nearly half of Louisiana's cases -- 997 -- came from New Orleans.

The city also reported Thursday that a 17-year-old teen died after contracting the virus, bringing the city's coronavirus death tally to 46 -- more than half of the state's total death count.

New Orleans saw its first coronavirus case on Mar. 9. Two weeks later, confirmed cases jumped to 567 and nearly doubled the following three days, marking one of the fastest coronavirus growth rates in the country.

Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases and the face of the White House Coronavirus Task Force, said officials in New Orleans were likely caught off guard by the virus' stealth spread -- until it began burgeoning.

"It putters along and you think you’re OK, then it starts to go up a little and then – bingo! – it goes up in an exponential way," he said in an interview with CNN. "That’s what's happening in New Orleans now."
https://www.yahoo.com/news/death-rat...013233879.html

I love New Orleans ... but man, they are not good at being on time, responding appropriately, or taking things seriously .. or living healthy ... oh my.
Old 03-27-2020, 02:54 PM   #327
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back2RFK View Post
Does the store have a web page they could sell Jewelry on line? Do you have a customer base you could email and have special deals to get money moving?
Unfortunately I think jewelry stores and other non essential businesses are going to take a long time to recover. I think this crisis has caused many people to be blindsided by the loss of a steady paycheck for the first time in their lives. Even if a person gets laid off or fired quite often they have seen it coming. No one could have predicted this mess. For that reason I think many people are going to save like never before. I think the big benefit of this are going to be discount stores. I think a lot of Nordstrom customers are going to end up in Walmart or Target.
Old 03-27-2020, 02:56 PM   #328
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

Quote:
Yes, her mom lives up the street and we are very cool with each other. Doing a family movie night tomorrow.

The number of known coronavirus cases in Louisiana jumped to 2,305 on Thursday, an increase of 510 cases from Wednesday, and a total of 83 deaths, according to the Louisiana Department of Health. Nearly half of Louisiana's cases -- 997 -- came from New Orleans.

The city also reported Thursday that a 17-year-old teen died after contracting the virus, bringing the city's coronavirus death tally to 46 -- more than half of the state's total death count.

New Orleans saw its first coronavirus case on Mar. 9. Two weeks later, confirmed cases jumped to 567 and nearly doubled the following three days, marking one of the fastest coronavirus growth rates in the country.

Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases and the face of the White House Coronavirus Task Force, said officials in New Orleans were likely caught off guard by the virus' stealth spread -- until it began burgeoning.

"It putters along and you think you’re OK, then it starts to go up a little and then – bingo! – it goes up in an exponential way," he said in an interview with CNN. "That’s what's happening in New Orleans now."

I love New Orleans ... but man, they are not good at being on time, responding appropriately, or taking things seriously .. or living healthy ... oh my.
That is so important, parents bad mouthing each other does nothing but hurt the child.
Old 03-27-2020, 03:41 PM   #329
Back2RFK
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Bob View Post
Unfortunately I think jewelry stores and other non essential businesses are going to take a long time to recover. I think this crisis has caused many people to be blindsided by the loss of a steady paycheck for the first time in their lives. Even if a person gets laid off or fired quite often they have seen it coming. No one could have predicted this mess. For that reason I think many people are going to save like never before. I think the big benefit of this are going to be discount stores. I think a lot of Nordstrom customers are going to end up in Walmart or Target.
Well from what i heard this new relief package is suppose to match the actual lost income not just a %.
Old 03-27-2020, 03:44 PM   #330
Back2RFK
Special Teams

Quote:

I was a single dad for about 10 years before I remarried. When it came to our daughter we did what we had to do and no bad mouthing the other but I hate the bitch. She abandoned our daughter and goes on and off drugs all the time. I'm very good friends with her family and they also pretty much hate her too. LOL