Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Other Sports

Nat's and O's - 2010 MLB Season

Other Sports

Old 08-27-2010, 02:58 PM   #301
FRPLG
MVP

Re: Nat's and O's - 2010 MLB Season

uggg...note to self teach my little leaguers to keep their elbows down and in front of shoulder.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-27-2010, 03:52 PM   #302
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
They are saying statistically 75% of elite pitchers make a full recovery as far as accuracy and velocity. Chris Carpenter, John Smoltz, Josh Johnson, and Tim Hudson are just a few names who have recovered and pitched at an elite level. No 2011 for Strasburg, but hey, come 2012 the Nats will have a 24 year old Strasburg and 19 year old Harper in the starting lineup.

It's a real bummer though.

Some pitchers can actually throw HARDER after TJ surgery. It's not the career-ende like it once was.

So...what to do with him in a keeper league? Ugh.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:22 PM   #303
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Damn, Morgan is having quite the week. His latest

Baseball Video Highlights & Clips | WSH@FLA: Tempers flare causing benches to clear - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia
Old 09-01-2010, 10:46 PM   #304
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

lol to be fair they had already hit him once.. catcher was getting some blows in there.. announcers said one of the coaches jumped the pitcher but he was really just holding him down
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:54 AM   #305
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Great game last night. My wife was watching her Yankees game and between innings, I switched over to the Nats game to check the score. The teams were piled up on the mound!

I can't blame Morgan for going after the pitcher. He was already hit once, and I don't blame him for stealing 2 bases after being hit. Make them pay. Then, they threw at him AGAIN...yeah, that's time for a throwdown.

I'm not defending Morgan as a person, he's usually a loose cannon, but I can't blame him for getting pissed last night, he was a target more than once.

Anyone have a video of him running over the catcher the night before? The announcers kept talking about it but I never saw it.

16-10...wild game even aside from the bloodied-up pitcher.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:56 AM   #306
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Found it.

Baseball Video Highlights & Clips | WSH@FLA: Morgan tries to score, but Hayes hangs on - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia

I don't see anything wrong with plowing over a catcher, it's part of baseball. There used to be players like Ty Cobb who would go metal spikes to the face-first. Pete Rose always tried to go through catchers. It's being competitive.

I guess the Marlins were upset because the catcher got hurt, but this isn't softball...you have to try to win.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:06 AM   #307
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryfuhl View Post
lol to be fair they had already hit him once.. catcher was getting some blows in there.. announcers said one of the coaches jumped the pitcher but he was really just holding him down
Pat Listach.

From that point on, I watched the rest of the game, hoping for a Nats comeback.

I love Morgan's intensity that he plays with. It's how the game should be played. The Nats announcers were criticizing him for stealing 2 bases after getting hit, saying it's "unprofessional to steal bases when down 11 runs". Are you kidding me? Stealing when UP by 11 would be questionable sportsmanship, but when losing, why would you stop trying to score? After getting beaned, I am all for stealing and making the other team pay.

Now Nyjer does need to work on his attitude and temper and grow up at times...but I love how hard he plays.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:06 AM   #308
over the mountain
Playmaker

nyjer's got some issues.

that shoulder chip he gave to the card's catcher as he was crossing the plate when the catcher didnt even have the ball was straight garbage bush league crap. the cards catcher wasnt blocking the plate, he lifted his leg up to let nyjer tag home base and the ball wasnt coming to the catcher any time soon.

the collision at the plate with the marlins catcher that ended the catchers season was more iffy than the media seems to view it. the ball was coming to home plate, the catcher had just caught the ball so i can see where that was a potential play-at-the-plate situation but nyjer seemed hell bent on contact with the cather as he rounded third. you can see in his body language he was looking for contact. the fact that he chipped the cards catcher when there was no reason what so ever makes me think he wanted contact on this one even if he could have just easily and safely slid in.

the stealing of the bases would have been bush league imo if it was later in the game but in the 4th inning you still have a chance.

when its a blow out in the 7th inning, then yes, pitchers pitch them in teh strike zone and batters are supposed to swing the bat and not take pitches. but the 4th inning, he should be allowed to maximize eveyr chance at winning.

nyjer's taunts and curses to the crowd is bush league.

he should get a 10-15 game suspension when you add up all of his actions from the cards game to the present.

hitting that cards catcher was evidence he was looking to hit someone. its no coincidence that the next game or so later he takes a guy out and ends his season.

what comes around goes around. ill be happy if someone slams the nats cather on an unnecessary play.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:09 AM   #309
Monkeydad
Living Legend

If Pudge is playing, I doubt other teams would retaliate on him...he's well-respected.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:14 AM   #310
over the mountain
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
If Pudge is playing, I doubt other teams would retaliate on him...he's well-respected.
yeah i dont think anyone wants to see pudge get plowed b/c he is a hall of famer who plays hard but the right way.

but i would like to see a nats cather get destroyed unnecessarily like nyjer did to the marlins catcher.

theres a difference btw playign hard and playing dirty. if you can easily slid, your teammate in the batters box is telling you to slide, then slide and not lay your shoulder into a dude who just caught the ball.

he would have easily been safe if he just slid into home like everyone else would have done in that situation. but no, hes got this me against the world attitude. one of his teammates, a catcher, should pay the price and then he will see that there are plenty of opportunities for other teams to injure your catcher but they dont.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:37 AM   #311
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by over the mountain View Post
nyjer's got some issues.

that shoulder chip he gave to the card's catcher as he was crossing the plate when the catcher didnt even have the ball was straight garbage bush league crap. the cards catcher wasnt blocking the plate, he lifted his leg up to let nyjer tag home base and the ball wasnt coming to the catcher any time soon.

the collision at the plate with the marlins catcher that ended the catchers season was more iffy than the media seems to view it. the ball was coming to home plate, the catcher had just caught the ball so i can see where that was a potential play-at-the-plate situation but nyjer seemed hell bent on contact with the cather as he rounded third. you can see in his body language he was looking for contact. the fact that he chipped the cards catcher when there was no reason what so ever makes me think he wanted contact on this one even if he could have just easily and safely slid in.

the stealing of the bases would have been bush league imo if it was later in the game but in the 4th inning you still have a chance.

when its a blow out in the 7th inning, then yes, pitchers pitch them in teh strike zone and batters are supposed to swing the bat and not take pitches. but the 4th inning, he should be allowed to maximize eveyr chance at winning.

nyjer's taunts and curses to the crowd is bush league.

he should get a 10-15 game suspension when you add up all of his actions from the cards game to the present.

hitting that cards catcher was evidence he was looking to hit someone. its no coincidence that the next game or so later he takes a guy out and ends his season.

what comes around goes around. ill be happy if someone slams the nats cather on an unnecessary play.
Unless I missed it, you didn't even mention when he threw a ball into the stands in Philly when some fans were playfully taunting him or when the threw down his glove while the ball was still in play because he thought it bounced off his glove and went out of the field of play.

I love his energy, but sometimes I worry we've got another Milton Bradley on our hands
Old 09-02-2010, 11:43 AM   #312
Monkeydad
Living Legend

I agree. I love how he plays...just as Pete Rose and George Brett. Sports are meant to be played with intensity and effort. But, he seems like an immature idiot at times. I'm just waiting for him to pull a Delmon Young or Izzy Alcantara.

(White Sox, not a Nats fan completely but I suppose they'd be my NL favorite)
Old 09-02-2010, 12:01 PM   #313
redsk1
The Starter

Nyjer has got some issues. The hit on the Cards catcher was uncalled for. He should be hit for that. The hit on the Marlins catcher was uncalled for too, as he wasn't even blocking the plate. He could have done a normal slide and been safe, no issues. I have no problems w/ him being hit there either.

I don't really understand though why stealing 2 bases is a problem though. I know being down 10 runs, you rarely steal, b/c you need as many runs as possible to get back into it. However, you are down and if you can steal go for it. Now, he did slide HARD into both bags.

So to get plunked again, i don't know that i blame him for going out. All of the other taunting afterwards is stupid.
redsk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 01:16 PM   #314
InsaneBoost
The Starter

Personally I don't feel what Nyjer did was wrong.

What he did against the St. Louis catcher wasn't even bad. Everyone is talking hit this and that, please, he didn't hit him, he bumped into him. Sure it was stupid and poor on his part and we suspended him one game for it, but lets not hype it up people. We even apologized to the catcher and Tony after the game.

What happened in Florida, I stand by Morgan 110%. He ran the catcher over on Monday, everyone keeps making a big deal over it and I don't know why. The catcher was blocking the plate, their excuse, "he could have slid," yeah he COULD have, but if he felt he had a better chance scoring running the catcher over, he has every right to do it.

They are all complaining because waa waa he's gone for the year, who gives a flying F. The Marlins aren't making the playoffs nor have a chance to.

Then last night. They hit him once, clearly payback for hitting their catcher, whatever, it is what it is. He knew it, I knew it, I'm sure everyone knew it, he let it slide. Of course in return he stole the two bases. Again was "wrong" according the tards on Baseball Tonight. Yet we still almost made the comeback.

Trying to hit him again, that's gloves off and throw down time. You don't do that crap and personally I'm glad Morgan wasn't going to take shit from anyone. I love in the post game how he said he'd do it all over again, except make a better connection on the hit.

Love how Riggleman said he supported him 100% as well, but more so when he said, "The Marlins will not decide when we run, we will decide when we run."

The only thing that I would say was poor on Morgans part was taunting the crowd, definitely stupid, but nonetheless hilarious, I was just laughing.

I still believe if we were the Yankees or Red Sox there wouldn't be any problem over what has happened with the Marlins this series. ESPN seems to ALWAYS have it out for Washington teams, no matter who it is.

InsaneBoost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 01:37 PM   #315
ArtMonkDrillz
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsk1 View Post
Nyjer has got some issues. The hit on the Cards catcher was uncalled for. He should be hit for that. The hit on the Marlins catcher was uncalled for too, as he wasn't even blocking the plate. He could have done a normal slide and been safe, no issues. I have no problems w/ him being hit there either.

I don't really understand though why stealing 2 bases is a problem though. I know being down 10 runs, you rarely steal, b/c you need as many runs as possible to get back into it. However, you are down and if you can steal go for it. Now, he did slide HARD into both bags.

So to get plunked again, i don't know that i blame him for going out. All of the other taunting afterwards is stupid.
Ironically I actually completely agree with Dibble on this one. As a teenager Morgan was basically on the verge of becoming an NHL defender but he realized he wasn't getting much bigger so he decided to switch to baseball, but I think he still has some of that hockey player mentality.

Like InsaneBoost said, I love Riggleman's comments after the game. He might not be the best manager out there but I feel like you have to respect him. Also, I like that Slaten later popped Gabby Sanchez in retaliation for clothes-lining Morgan. I know Sanchez was standing up for his pitcher but he came in a with a big time sucker punch. Actually, I feel like the umps brought that on themselves by not tossing Sanchez right after the brawl.