He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-12-2013, 06:05 PM   #302
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

Re: All things Science related. λν = c

Feed the Ego

Using the latest in 360-degree scanning and 3-D printing technologies, Twinkind, a new company based in Hamburg, Germany, will turn you, your loved ones, or your pets into a marvelously detailed little statues. It might seem a bit gimmicky if the results weren’t so stunning. The final figurines, which can range in size from roughly 6″ (around $300) to 13″ (around $1,700), are strikingly, maybe even a little unsettlingly realistic, capturing everything from poses and facial expressions down to hair styles and the folds in clothes, all in full, faithful color.

So I'm guessing that Matty and SS have spent the server funds on 24 karat gold versions of themselves, Lotus has one made of unicorn horn (or Sasquatch fur), FD went with melted down fleshlights and JR's is made of the hearts of puppies and kittens. Who did I forget?
RedskinRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 06:44 PM   #303
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

And better yet.....

Surge of brain activity may explain near-death experience, study says

Scientists from the University of Michigan recorded electroencephalogram (EEG) signals in nine anesthetized rats after inducing cardiac arrest. Within the first 30 seconds after the heart had stopped, all the mammals displayed a surge of brain activity that had features associated with consciousness and visual activation. The burst of electrical activity even exceeded levels during a normal, awake state.

In other words, they may have been having the rodent version of a near-death experience.

“On a fundamental level, this study makes us think about the neurobiology of the dying brain,” said senior author and anesthesiologist George A. Mashour. It was published Monday online by the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

More superstitious nonsense can be flushed away. As the great Richard Dawkins stated, "Science, bitches!"
Old 08-14-2013, 03:43 PM   #304
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

The Sports Gene - David Epstein

What’s wrong with the 10,000-hour rule? In part, Mr. Ericsson’s research was oversimplified by Mr. Gladwell in “Outliers,” leading everyone from sports athletes to Wall Street hedge-fund managers to employ it in their explanations of success. (The supposedly triumphant example in “Outliers” was the Beatles, who Mr. Gladwell claims owed their success largely to the 10,000 hours they played in dingy nightclubs in Liverpool and Hamburg, Germany—selectively ignoring the thousands of garage bands who put in their 10,000 hours and still stink.) As Mr. Epstein notes, 10,000 hours is an average. What is more revealing is the range. A 2007 study on chess players, for example, found that the average number of hours logged to make it to the level of “master” was 11,000 hours, but the range spanned from 3,000 hours for one player to 23,000 hours for another. Even more telling, several players in the study put in more than 25,000 hours of practice and study and never made it to the master level. That is the mystery that The Sports Gene explains so well.

And:

The Sports Gene is bound to put the cat among the pigeons in the blank-slate crowd who think that we can all be equal as long as we equalize environmental inputs such as practice. But the science says that it just ain’t so. Not even 10,000 hours of wishful thinking will change nature.

Cursed from birth, damn it!
Old 08-14-2013, 04:10 PM   #305
over the mountain
Playmaker

rat - i think i learn more here than anywhere else. thank you. of course i do not accept what is posted as 100% true but its a good way to stretch the brain in the thoughts and possibilities.
Old 08-15-2013, 06:44 PM   #306
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

Old 08-29-2013, 12:43 PM   #307
HailGreen28
Playmaker

Great website about robots being developed. LINK

HailGreen28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 01:50 PM   #308
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

Malnutrition causes violence - Medical News Today

Deficiencies of vitamins A, D, K, B1, B3, B6, B12 and folate, and of minerals iodine, potassium, iron, magnesium, zinc, chromium and manganese can all contribute to mental instability and violent behavior, according to a report published in the Spring 2013 issue of Wise Traditions, the journal of the Weston A. Price Foundation.
And:

"Making things worse are excitotoxins so prevalent in the food supply, such as MSG and Aspartame," says Onusic. "People who live on processed food and who drink diet sodas are exposed to these mind-altering chemicals at very high levels." In an effort to curb child obesity, the dairy industry recently petitioned FDA to include aspartame and other artificial sweeteners in dairy beverages featured in school lunches, without appropriate labeling. Recent research has established the fact that aspartame actually leads to weigh gain because of its effect on insulin.

Other ingredients in the food supply linked to violent behavior include sugar, artificial colors and flavorings, caffeine, alcohol and soy foods. The toxic environmental burden includes mercury, arsenic, lead, fire retardants, pesticides, heavy metals and Teflon. Adding psychiatric drugs to this mix puts everyone at risk.

And then there's this:

PeTA - Keep Pregnant Women Out for the Sake of Their Sons' Sex Organs, PETA Tells Buffalo Wing Festival

Findings published by the Study for Future Families showed that eating poultry during pregnancy may lead to smaller penis size in male infants. Looking at dairy products, eggs, fish, fruit, bird meat, potatoes, tomatoes, vegetables, and red meat, researchers found the most significant link between chicken consumption and decreased penis size because of a chemical compound found in the meat.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:53 PM   #309
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Scientists create light-matter like Darth Vader's lightsaber - CNN.com

Soon.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 08:32 AM   #310
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Nasa's Curiosity rover finds water in Martian soil | Science | The Guardian

Would have been interesting to have seen what Mars looked like a billion or so years ago.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 07:41 PM   #311
HailGreen28
Playmaker

The comments for the article are hilarious too.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:15 PM   #312
HailGreen28
Playmaker

Old 10-03-2013, 11:36 PM   #313
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

^ My people!
Old 10-04-2013, 01:38 PM   #314
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

The Sasquatch Genome Project claims to have film of bigfoot and to have sequenced the sasquatch genome DNA.

Here is the site:
Home - The Sasquatch Genome Project

I have not studied the DNA part but the film is like other bigfoot films: blurry, not definitive, and possibly hoaxed.

I beg them to produce a body. Habeus corpus, as they say.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 03:54 PM   #315
CultBrennan59
Pro Bowl

Question that came up at work today got me thinking.
What are there more of? Gallons of water, or blades of grass? Cups of water or grains of sand?