Debating with the enemy

Old 04-23-2020, 08:40 AM   #286
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

Re: Coronavirus (political)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/22/she-...r&par=sharebar

She got a forgivable loan. Her employees hate her for it.

Read several stories like this so far...
I haven't known anyone that collected unemployment in ages and I personally collected it once and that was 40 years ago. I thought unemployment only paid about 1/2 a person's typical take home pay if they were making modest wages and way less than 1/2 if you were a high earner. In that article people believe they make more on unemployment than working, is that correct? Did unemployment befits rates increase? If so when, or is this just because of the pandemic?
Buffalo Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-23-2020, 08:48 AM   #287
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake84 View Post
All due respect to you, but you are wrong about it being BS. I'm not having a sky is falling attitude on that statement, i am looking at the numbers. The numbers simply do not lie.
LOL, they most certainly do.
Old 04-23-2020, 09:06 AM   #288
MTK
\m/

The Second Phase of Unemployment Will Be Harsher
Old 04-23-2020, 09:58 AM   #289
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
LOL, they most certainly do.
So you feel the numbers being publicized about unemployment are not accurate? How so? Are they too high or too low than what is being reported weekly / monthly, etc...
Old 04-23-2020, 10:02 AM   #290
MTK
\m/

Remember the good old pre-election days when Trump said the unemployment rate was over 30%... now it's coming true lol
Old 04-23-2020, 10:07 AM   #291
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Remember the good old pre-election days when Trump said the unemployment rate was over 30%... now it's coming true lol
It's too bad there was no way to take this seriously when China was quarantining Wuhan and all those other cities.
Old 04-23-2020, 10:12 AM   #292
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
It's too bad there was no way to take this seriously when China was quarantining Wuhan and all those other cities.
Wouldn't you love to know what everyone in the White House knew back in say December or January? And they sat on their hands. Even just shutting things down a week earlier would have saved a lot of lives.
Old 04-23-2020, 10:25 AM   #293
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake84 View Post
So you feel the numbers being publicized about unemployment are not accurate? How so? Are they too high or too low than what is being reported weekly / monthly, etc...
You make an assumption all numbers reported are true .Aid(supposedly) goes to where it is needed the most are you saying certain numbers in certain locations would not benefit with greater numbers?
Old 04-23-2020, 10:44 AM   #294
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
Nobody was taking it seriously...people were only talking impeachment and how killing a terrorist was trying to force us into a war to forget about impeachment. So when it comes to credibility...impeachment was a nothing burger and we killed a terrorist which quieted an enemy and didn't lead to WW3 like ive been told would happened.

mid January thru mid February, 50+ headlines exist by the media criticizing the administration stating the Flu was the biggest risk versus the virus from the shithole which is China. Tom Cotton made remarks on the floor Jan 26(?) and again early Feb which were laughed at and criticized by the media.

Now I wish we had an honest media institution who actually investigated and reported fairly on these issues...not write stories loosely based narratives on unproven leaks and whatever dated quotes 4-5 months later while several months ago promoted ideals such as it was racists to stop travel to China, that we should worry about the flu over coronavirus, that Cotton is promoting conspiracy theories, etc.

Go back and look...Biden and Nancy Pelosi said in statements printed and on social media it was racist to impose a travel ban against China in late January. Go back and look at the World Health Organization statements one on Jan 14 stating "no evidence of human to human transmission". Again in mid-Feb, "no reason to stop travel in and out of China" by the WHO. The WHO are the folks countries go to and to be consulted for information and data about strategies about to deal with these type of situations.

Id really like to know what folks woulda said in January if Trump locked everyone down...I can see the headlines now.

Im not pretending things have gone great...it hasn't gone great for ANYBODY. No one has been on the right side of this.

Birx and Fauci how done a great job imo… but we cant even get a solid antibodies tests that can be mass produced.

He Gets Us

Last edited by Chico23231; 04-23-2020 at 11:43 AM.
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 10:49 AM   #295
jamf
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/22/she-...r&par=sharebar

She got a forgivable loan. Her employees hate her for it.

Read several stories like this so far...
You've read several stories about workers that rely on tips not being able to survive on base salary alone?

Spa workers typically rely on tips.

I've been to a spa once or twice. The lady that scraped the barnacles off my feet got a $20 tip for 30 minute service. The massage therapist get $20-$40 tip and double that if she provides the old kung fu death grip.

Some of these people that rely on tips are hard working and make good money, just not on base salary which can be less than minimum wage(Waitresses).
jamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 11:05 AM   #296
MTK
\m/

This fucking guy

Mitch McConnell would rather let states declare bankruptcy than receive more federal aid
Old 04-23-2020, 11:10 AM   #297
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamf View Post
You've read several stories about workers that rely on tips not being able to survive on base salary alone?

Spa workers typically rely on tips.

I've been to a spa once or twice. The lady that scraped the barnacles off my feet got a $20 tip for 30 minute service. The massage therapist get $20-$40 tip and double that if she provides the old kung fu death grip.

Some of these people that rely on tips are hard working and make good money, just not on base salary which can be less than minimum wage(Waitresses).
multiple scenarios with a similar theme

He Gets Us
Old 04-23-2020, 11:37 AM   #298
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
You make an assumption all numbers reported are true .Aid(supposedly) goes to where it is needed the most are you saying certain numbers in certain locations would not benefit with greater numbers?
Of course it would benefit those who needed it the most. I don't think either of us would argue that.

But i do argue that if you use unemployment numbers as a measure to gauge the health of the economy, as people generally do, then the USA is not doing well at all. On Monday i was shown a report that listed at that time, over 23 million people unemployed. That's 11.5 million people per month since March, when the lockdowns began. If we use those numbers, then by the summer we are looking at 70 million people, probably more, at the current rate that unemployment continues to grow. I don't know anyone who would say that 70 million people in the USA unemployed says that we are doing well.

If the shutdowns continue until the end of the year, or in multiple waves of shutdowns as some have called for, that's still on pace for 138 million people out of work. Now granted, that is much "better" than my original prediction of 300 million people out of work, but 138 million people out of work is still horrifying no matter what the reason is.
Old 04-23-2020, 11:45 AM   #299
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

President has already indicated aid state packages are being worked on currently and will be coming in the next round of help.

He Gets Us
Old 04-24-2020, 07:54 AM   #300
MTK
\m/

Trump suggests 'injection' of disinfectant to beat coronavirus and 'clean' the lungs