Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

Drunk Thread

Parking Lot

Old 12-04-2009, 11:58 AM   #286
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

Re: Drunk Thread

Angry - if you are pairing with food, check out Chianti or Chianti Classico. Look for a black rooster on the neck label and you'll be set. I'm a fan of very dry reds (Bordeaux for example), but the Chianti isn't too terribly dry. My wife prefers whites (mostly Pinot Grigio) to reds, but she loves Chianti.

Here's a half way decent guide of wines from sweet to dry:
Wine Sweet Dry Tasting Chart

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-04-2009, 12:40 PM   #287
dmek25
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry View Post
The fact that I didn't spend it on a DC Metro bus ad.

Seriously though, because it's nice to have a bottle of not so cheap wine for celebration in the event of a special occasion. I'm not going to drink it just for the sake of drinking it.
now thats funny
Old 12-04-2009, 10:48 PM   #288
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
I prefer red, my wife prefers white. Not too bitter, not too sweet, not too dry.

Well, for reds, you generally don't find too many sweet wines. I love Spanish reds, grenache and tempranillo specifically. If you want a delicious red wine that's in the range you're asking about, try Stag's Leap Petit Syrah. It's about $45 a bottle and is really excellent. Freemark Abbey makes a great Merlot that's about $40 a bottle that you'd probably love. For cabernet's, I love Axios. It's about $50 a bottle.

As far as white, if you're wife doesn't like fruity and prefers a more crisp wine, I really recommend an albarino or chenin blanc (those are the grape varietals, not brand names). Salneval makes a great albarino, and McKinley Springs (Washington state) makes a fantastic chenin blanc.

I would recommend visiting the Margruder's near Chevy Chase Circle. They have an outstanding wine selection, and a very knowledgeable staff. If you walk in there and tell them what you like in a wine and your price range, they'll do you right.

Last edited by GMScud; 12-05-2009 at 12:17 AM.
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 10:53 PM   #289
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDBohnzie View Post
Angry - if you are pairing with food, check out Chianti or Chianti Classico. Look for a black rooster on the neck label and you'll be set. I'm a fan of very dry reds (Bordeaux for example), but the Chianti isn't too terribly dry. My wife prefers whites (mostly Pinot Grigio) to reds, but she loves Chianti.

Here's a half way decent guide of wines from sweet to dry:
Wine Sweet Dry Tasting Chart
I like Chianti as well. Not a big fan of Bordeaux's. I don't really dig on French reds that much. They're too barnyardy if you get what I mean. I do like a good Cote Du Rhone (typically a grenache-syrah-mourvedre blend) though.

If you like super dry reds it may not be for you, but Washington State is putting out some KILLER wine right now. The reds are typically more new-world style though- mostly fruit forward.
Old 12-05-2009, 12:15 AM   #290
KLHJ2
Inactive

Right now I am sipping on some Austrailian, Yellow Tail, Shiraz. It's nice, cheap, get drunk, wine and it tastes pretty good too. My Aunt turned me on to it.
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 12:23 AM   #291
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Right now I am sipping on some Austrailian, Yellow Tail, Shiraz. It's nice, cheap, get drunk, wine and it tastes pretty good too. My Aunt turned me on to it.
I really like Shiraz. Generally full-bodied and fruit forward. Australians definitely make the best Shiraz. Try Yangarra Shiraz sometime. For about $22 a bottle, it's really awesome. Australia also puts out some killer Sauvignon Blancs as well, which your wife would probably enjoy. Oyster Bay is a solid, reasonably priced Sauv Blanc. Yellow Tail is what it is. Get drunk wine. It's cheap but not total shit. I mean, once you've had 3 or 4 glasses your palate is shot anyway.
Old 12-05-2009, 12:32 AM   #292
KLHJ2
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
I really like Shiraz. Generally full-bodied and fruit forward. Australians definitely make the best Shiraz. Try Yangarra Shiraz sometime. For about $22 a bottle, it's really awesome. Australia also puts out some killer Sauvignon Blancs as well, which your wife would probably enjoy. Oyster Bay is a solid, reasonably priced Sauv Blanc. Yellow Tail is what it is. Get drunk wine. It's cheap but not total shit. I mean, once you've had 3 or 4 glasses your palate is shot anyway.
Yeah I noticed that a bottle ago. That and my lips are going numb, it's almost like drinking shine.

So, how about I called my best friend over to play some Modern Warefare 2. He told me that he had to check with the vagina in his life and he would call me back and let me know. Never called back and the initial call was at 6:30. I cannot wait until they are officially married so that he can ignore her wishes from time to time. Seriously though, I just wish he had at least called to say that he couldn't do it. I might just go on a "black op" mission tonight, steal her purse, and place his balls back in his pants.
Old 12-05-2009, 12:54 AM   #293
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Yeah I noticed that a bottle ago. That and my lips are going numb, it's almost like drinking shine.

So, how about I called my best friend over to play some Modern Warefare 2. He told me that he had to check with the vagina in his life and he would call me back and let me know. Never called back and the initial call was at 6:30. I cannot wait until they are officially married so that he can ignore her wishes from time to time. Seriously though, I just wish he had at least called to say that he couldn't do it. I might just go on a "black op" mission tonight, steal her purse, and place his balls back in his pants.
A bottle ago!! LOL!

Seriously though, he could have at least text you. The vagina in my life doesn't really care what I do, as long as I communicate, and I'm the same way. If she wants to party all night with her girlfriends I could care less, I just want to know she's ok.

Anyway, I'm on my second stiff scotch.
Old 12-05-2009, 01:04 AM   #294
KLHJ2
Inactive

I would never admit to being on anything stiff! LOL!
Old 12-05-2009, 11:59 PM   #295
mlmdub130
Playmaker

Quote:
The fact that I didn't spend it on a DC Metro bus ad.

Seriously though, because it's nice to have a bottle of not so cheap wine for celebration in the event of a special occasion. I'm not going to drink it just for the sake of drinking it.
your gonna bust my balls here too????? i thought this was safe grounds. i think i mnetioned it before but not sure, but one of my favorite beers is out right now it, clipper city's brewery's heavy seas "below decks" it's a barely wine and it's deliscious 10% alc/vol it's pretty smooth for the % it's sold in four packs for a reason really. i love this stuff, anyone ever tried it?

Heavy Seas - Below Decks (Barley Wine Style Ale) - Clipper City Brewery - BeerAdvocate

ST21
mlmdub130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 12:23 AM   #296
GMScud
Swearinger

Just got back from my fiancee's boss' Xmas party. Pretty good time. It was definitely nice to get out of the house after that Gator game. Ugh. I had 4 or 5 miller lite's and a shot of Patron while we watched the Texas-Neb game. Now I'm home and just cracked another beer. It's been a painful day.
Old 12-06-2009, 01:00 AM   #297
GMScud
Swearinger

Edit

Last edited by GMScud; 12-06-2009 at 02:10 AM.
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 06:13 AM   #298
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
I am definitely not a Yellow Tail fan.
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 02:50 PM   #299
Nomad

My Boy had a B-Day Party last night, I had two shot's of Vodka, before I left the house, a shot of Patron, when I got to the club and 4 beer's, and the D.J. bought all of us a shot..... so I was nice and blasted, holla'd at few females..... I got say, Today was a Good Day!!!
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:32 AM   #300
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

Quote:
Along the same token is The Little Penguin line. A decent, well-priced Aussie line. For the most part, they fall between $6-8/bottle, and I've seen them on sale for $5. My wife likes their Pinot Grigio and their Merlot. Their Cab isn't too bad, not terribly dry. They have a decent shiraz as well.

Head to NoVa and hit up a Trader Joe's down there. They have a good selection of different wines, and they are very reasonably priced (started at $3-4/bottle). You can spend $10-$15 on a few bottles to try and not be out too much if you pick up something you don't like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
I like Chianti as well. Not a big fan of Bordeaux's. I don't really dig on French reds that much. They're too barnyardy if you get what I mean. I do like a good Cote Du Rhone (typically a grenache-syrah-mourvedre blend) though.
I do know what you mean by barnyardy. The drier Reds tends to have a oaky, earthy taste to them. I grew up having Sunday dinners at my Grandparents, both of whom are French (my Mom and Uncle were the first generation of their family born outside of France), and had my share of Bordeaux and Cabs growing up (watered down of course). So I tend to gravitate towards the stuff I knew from growing up. It also helps that my Uncle didn't shy away from those wines either and we usually have a bottle or 3 when we go to his house for dinner.

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote