2024 Commanders Off-Season Thread

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 05-13-2024, 08:01 PM   #286
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Re: 2024 Commanders Off-Season Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by calia View Post
Ravens and Baltimore are entirely linked. Edgar Allen Poe is buried there, and his most famous poem is The Raven. That was the inspiration for the team name and it's a pretty awesome connection.

But your point that there need not be a strong connection of name to geography isn't wrong -- the Cardinals kept the name even though they originated in St. Louis (and was the other Cardinals team in that city). Which reminds me that there's really no reason not to use the same name from another sport -- it shouldn't create any consumer confusion, which is the touchstone of trademark infringement. Having said that, I doubt they'd re-name the football team the Nationals (which I find bland), Capitals (same), Wizards (terrible name), or United (which I actually like a lot).

You know as I made that comment about Baltimore and the Ravens I actually thought about googling it to see… interesting.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 05-13-2024, 08:08 PM   #287
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonniey View Post
Don't play into the disinformation about the Redskins being a derogatory term. Multiple studies by etymologists showed that it wasn't. In fact outright forgeries and fabrications were used to convince people that it was a derogatory term. And yes the media often supported that misinformation even when presented with information debunking the claims. That the name was dropped at all was an injustice (Maybe not a grave injustice given what happens in the world but an injustice none-the-less).

https://slate.com/human-interest/201...s-history.html

Couple of Examples

"....Before all this recent scholarship, though, one could be forgiven for thinking redskin had emerged from hostilities with the white man. For many years the first citation in the Oxford English Dictionary was dated 1699 and purported to come from Samuel Smith. It read, “Ye firste Meetinge House was solid mayde to withstande ye wicked onsaults of ye Red Skins.” It had been quoted from family papers in a book published in 1900 by Helen Evertson Smith.

But Goddard’s research undermined this earliest of citations. First, he explains, Smith’s words were “relentlessly antiqued”—made to appear older than they were. One giveaway was the use of ye, which was anachronistic for 1699. By investigating the underlying documentation Goddard further discovered a probable source for the quotation, bearing a different date and the word Indian, which Helen Evertson Smith had modified to redskin...."

"....the Post published a column by Eva Rodriguez, trotting out the bloody-scalp origin story. Goddard responded by writing a letter to the editor. First, he stated clearly that only current feelings about the word were relevant to determining whether redskin is offensive today, and then he objected strenuously to Rodriguez’s amateur scholarship:

What is not acceptable is for her to give as the only relevant historical fact the fictional claim that the word originally referred to scalps, for which there is no evidence.
But the Post’s letters editor would not allow Goddard to call the bloody-scalp claim “fictional,” and so deleted the word from his letter...."

https://law.marquette.edu/facultyblo...-so-offensive/

"....There is little evidence that the perception of “redskin” as an inherently offensive term for Native American existed before the late 1970’s or early 1980’s. Traditionally, the word “redskin” was viewed as a synonym for Indian or Native American and did not carry the sort of negative connotations that have long attached to ethnic slurs like ...." (I stopped the quote at this point to avoid any possible term violations)

So not going down this road. Lol. U can find both sides of the coin on the internet. Ive read it is. Ive read it isn’t. Fact of the matter is it is up for debate. Unlike seminoles, chiefs, braves, etc. That was my only point. The name will never be Redskins again. Hopefully one day soon it isn’t Commanders. Red Hawks and keep the feathers??
Old 05-13-2024, 09:45 PM   #288
nonniey
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
So not going down this road. Lol. U can find both sides of the coin on the internet. Ive read it is. Ive read it isn’t. Fact of the matter is it is up for debate. Unlike seminoles, chiefs, braves, etc. That was my only point. The name will never be Redskins again. Hopefully one day soon it isn’t Commanders. Red Hawks and keep the feathers??
Ok you don't want to go down this road but one thing you won't find on the side of the debate that says Redskins is a slur are etymologists and probably not any other type of historian as well.
nonniey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 12:31 AM   #289
That Guy
Living Legend

would people consider it icky if we named them the blackskins?

it's dead jim; let it lie. not worth the trouble and it's not happening. No need to waste any more time on it.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 12:35 AM   #290
That Guy
Living Legend

(as a post note, yes surveys showed most NAs didn't consider it offensive (some did), but most DID find the fans offensive (the ones with head dresses and hatchets and all that)).
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 12:42 AM   #291
nonniey
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
would people consider it icky if we named them the blackskins?

it's dead jim; let it lie. not worth the trouble and it's not happening. No need to waste any more time on it.
Well when someone claims that "Redskins was a derogatory term" I will always seek to educate him on that erroneous belief. (Scholars say it's not, activists say it is - who should one believe)?
Old 05-14-2024, 06:13 AM   #292
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 06:16 AM   #293
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
+1

I can't believe we're still debating this dumb shit, we haven't been the Redskins in at least 3+ years.
Old 05-14-2024, 08:45 AM   #294
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
+1

I can't believe we're still debating this dumb shit, we haven't been the Redskins in at least 3+ years.
Dead horse meet the baseball bat
Old 05-14-2024, 08:51 AM   #295
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

For context lol
Old 05-14-2024, 08:58 AM   #296
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Well, I think it's fair to talk about. It's been debated ad nauseum, and we all know the name isn't coming back, but the conversation was sparked by the shirt worn by the new Head Coach. Like it or not (nothing burger or not) it was an event that occurred during this off-season and this isn't the only forum in which conversations about it are taking place.

What exactly was the purpose of wearing that shirt. I mean it was purposeful, right?
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 09:13 AM   #297
MTK
\m/

It’s a cool shirt, I don’t think it means anything else
Old 05-14-2024, 09:24 AM   #298
nonniey
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
+1

The minute someone claims Redskins is a derogatory term I will always respond. I will never cede to that claim when it is emphatically false. Additionally, that slurs the fans that still buy and wear the gear and ultimately poses a threat to them as well.
Old 05-14-2024, 09:31 AM   #299
MTK
\m/

@NickiJhabvala
Since this has come up ... Commanders owners have no plans in the works to change the name, according to a person with knowledge of the matter.
Old 05-14-2024, 12:27 PM   #300
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
It’s a cool shirt, I don’t think it means anything else
I don't even think it's a cool shirt. One thing (the feathers) has nothing to do with the other (Commanders W).

Someone printed that shirt to stir the pot - and it worked. He chose to wear it. Surely, he wasn't oblivious to that fact.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote