Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

How to Beat the G-Men

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-19-2005, 10:11 AM   #16
Schneed10
A Dude

Re: The G-Men and what we need to do agaisnt them to win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72
I'm feeling pretty good about our run 'D' right about now. Griffin is the key. I'm sure these guys are just chomping at the bit to prove that the 1st meeting was a fluke when Tiki tore us a new one.
I'd like to add that Salavea'a deserves a lot of credit here too. Griffin is awesome because he tends to turn his blocker and get past him to the RB. Salavea'a goes a little more unnoticed because he basically is just the immovable object. He doesn't always penetrate and make a stop in the backfield, but if you watch him during a run play, you see he never gets moved. No matter how big a guy he's going against, he always holds his ground. It's great, it's like having a giant boulder right in the middle of the line on every play. Him and Griffin deserve so much credit, they are like rocks that can't be moved, and it allows the LBs to go make the tackles. With both of these guys healthy, Barber isn't going anywhere, I'm convinced Tiki is going to be shut down like nobody's business.

Question is, can we run on the Giants without Randy Thomas? We're going to have to change a lot of our running schemes because Ray Brown can't pull like Thomas could.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-19-2005, 10:15 AM   #17
jbcjr14
The Starter

The skins just need to show up with the same entensity and stop the run. If you can shut down Barber, the Giants are beatable. FOCUS, FOCUS, FOCUS! 12th man needs to bring it again!!!!
Old 12-19-2005, 10:18 AM   #18
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10
I'd like to add that Salavea'a deserves a lot of credit here too. Griffin is awesome because he tends to turn his blocker and get past him to the RB. Salavea'a goes a little more unnoticed because he basically is just the immovable object. He doesn't always penetrate and make a stop in the backfield, but if you watch him during a run play, you see he never gets moved. No matter how big a guy he's going against, he always holds his ground. It's great, it's like having a giant boulder right in the middle of the line on every play. Him and Griffin deserve so much credit, they are like rocks that can't be moved, and it allows the LBs to go make the tackles. With both of these guys healthy, Barber isn't going anywhere, I'm convinced Tiki is going to be shut down like nobody's business.

Question is, can we run on the Giants without Randy Thomas? We're going to have to change a lot of our running schemes because Ray Brown can't pull like Thomas could.
Oh yeah, without a doubt having Big Joe back in there is huge as well for the D-line..
Old 12-19-2005, 10:21 AM   #19
12thMan
MVP

Quote:

I think the fact that AP is missing in the middle for the G- Men sorta offsets, if you will, the Thomas injury.

Half the yards Tiki got against KC was because they didn't want to tackle the guy. I expect us to wrap him up good.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 10:21 AM   #20
mheisig
The Starter

Quote:
I'm concerned about having Thomas out too - on the plus side, Larry Johnson racked up 167 yards and 2 TDs on 31 carries against the Giants on Saturday. Unfortunately it pales in comparison to Barber's 220 yards and 2 TDs, but clearly the Chiefs were able to run on the Giants.

The week before the relatively unheard of Ryan Moats of the Eagles had 114 yards against Giants, and the Seahawks and Shaun Alexander got 110.

Of course the Giants won most of those games (only lost to the Seahawks).

Seems like the Giant's run D is average - they've stuffed it some games, and given up big others.

I think the X-factor in all the Giant's wins is Tiki Barber. They're inconsistent on D and their passing game, but Tiki is just solid.
Old 12-19-2005, 10:37 AM   #21
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by mheisig
I'm concerned about having Thomas out too - on the plus side, Larry Johnson racked up 167 yards and 2 TDs on 31 carries against the Giants on Saturday. Unfortunately it pales in comparison to Barber's 220 yards and 2 TDs, but clearly the Chiefs were able to run on the Giants.

The week before the relatively unheard of Ryan Moats of the Eagles had 114 yards against Giants, and the Seahawks and Shaun Alexander got 110.

Of course the Giants won most of those games (only lost to the Seahawks).

Seems like the Giant's run D is average - they've stuffed it some games, and given up big others.

I think the X-factor in all the Giant's wins is Tiki Barber. They're inconsistent on D and their passing game, but Tiki is just solid.
Great points. Especially with Pierce out, I'll bet Gibbs can scheme up a way to get Clinton going.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 10:40 AM   #22
mheisig
The Starter

Scary stats on Tiki Barber from a Sportsline article by Clark Judge (yeah I hate him too):

"The Giants running back not only has two of the league's three 200-yard rushing games this year, he's on schedule to finish with a career-best 1,802 yards rushing and 2,283 yards from scrimmage. In his past five starts he hasn't run for fewer than 112 yards in any game; he has averaged 27.6 carries and 144 yards rushing per start; and he has comprised 44.8 percent of the Giants offense."

Pretty impressive RB I'd say. Shut down Tiki and you (presumably) kill half their offense.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:07 AM   #23
hooskins
Most Interesting Man in the World

Wink Re: The G-Men and what we need to do agaisnt them to win.

Some good points have been brought up. We need to improve on special teams, and stop Tiki. It is interesting how he has steadily improved in his career, throughout his ups and downs. The last time I remember, Tiki was on the downfall, because of his fumbling problem. I do however know the secret to his success, its because he went to uva. (haha I am a student there
hooskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 11:23 AM   #24
saden1
MVP

The G-Man are going to run, run, run and run to the left. Even yesterday we gave up a big run on the left and that's were the G-Man will go too. It worked last time!

We need to play solid defense and that's all there is to it.
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 11:26 AM   #25
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Left? Maybe there's something by the name of LA that we are missing.

To Holdman's credit, he played a pretty good game.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:22 PM   #26
SouperMeister
Playmaker

It's pretty simple - Eli had a lousy game against us at the Meadowlands, but Tiki bailed him out with 200+ yards. Stop Tiki, and force the Giants into passing situations, I'm confident that our D and the 12th man will rattle Eli and the NY offensive line.
SouperMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 01:32 PM   #27
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Did Griffin play in the first game?
JoeRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 01:35 PM   #28
Gmanc711
Thank You, Sean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWsleep
#1 Priority on D: STOP THE RUN. Tiki has been running wild. Take that away and make Eli throw.

EXACTLY! We stop Tiki Barber, we win the game. Its that simple.
Gmanc711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 01:36 PM   #29
hooskins
Most Interesting Man in the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin
If you are refering to the last game we played agaisnt the Giants, no he didn't play.
hooskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 01:36 PM   #30
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin
He started but was injured early on. This started the stretch of 4 games where he didn't play.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote