Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: Who Should the Redskins Draft at #5
Sean Taylor 47 85.45%
Kellen Winslow 8 14.55%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-02-2004, 10:50 AM   #16
Ade Jimoh Fan Club
Special Teams

Winslow is supposed to be a lock, but Troupe and Watson and some of the other guys look pretty good too. Nothing's for sure...

Plus, we've got some excellent slot guys in Trash, Jacobs, and McCants - which lessen the importance of Winslow (even though he'd be an upgrade).

If Chamberlain gets his act together - he could return to "stud" form. What ever happened to him anyway?? I know he got fat and out of shape, but I mean, how can you go from stud to dud w/o trying to make a comeback?? We haven't released him yet, so that's a sign that there's still some potential.

If we got Winslow, I'd be thrilled. But I think Taylor is the way to go. No wrong answer here!!
Ade Jimoh Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-02-2004, 11:10 AM   #17
Defensewins
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72
wow this poll isn't even close, I'm kinda surprised
This should not come as a suprise. The reason is very obvious ... we need to upgrade our defense more than our offense. We have not drafted a defensive player w/our top pick in the draft in four years. Arrington in 2000 was the last one. It is the Defense's turn to get a top player.
Recent top picks:

2003......Taylor Jacobs and Derrick Dockery
2002......Patrick Ramsey and Ledell Betts
2001......Rod Gardner
2000......Lavar Arrington

I think it is time for Snyder/Cerrato to realize, a high powered Offense sells tickets but Strong defense wins championships. The problem is drafting Defensive players does not get the headlines Snyder craves.

Last edited by Defensewins; 04-02-2004 at 11:35 AM.
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 11:14 AM   #18
Ade Jimoh Fan Club
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensewins
I think it is time for Snyder/Cerrato to realize, high a powered Offense sells tickets but Strong defense wins championships. The problem is drafting Defensive players does not get the headlines Snyder craves.

Good point. I think that Portis & Brunnel should check the "high-powered offense" block. Time to look to the D.
Ade Jimoh Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 11:43 AM   #19
Redskins8588
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeGibbsIsBack
True about defense but you could look at it two ways. Its also been said the best defense is a great offense.
Do you think that is what the Colts thought when they played NE in the AFC title game??
Redskins8588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 12:11 PM   #20
Defensewins
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeGibbsIsBack
True about defense but you could look at it two ways. Its also been said the best defense is a great offense.
I think KC will disagree with you as well, they got crushed in the playoffs.
It was said all year by the so-called "experts" that KC had the best offense in the NFL during the regular season 2003. The Colts came in a close second. They both were beat soundly in the playoffs. Payton Manning had something like 4 interceptions?
Every team that has won the Superbowl since 2000 has won with strong defense.

2003.... New England
2002.....Tampa Bay
2001.....New England
2000.....Baltimore

None of these teams has a scary offense. They won with defense.

Last edited by Defensewins; 04-02-2004 at 12:14 PM.
Old 04-02-2004, 12:17 PM   #21
MTK
\m/

Still, the thought of a dynamic TE like Winslow in this offense is a pleasant thought.

Seriously, how many sleepless nights would opposing d-coordinators have with having to prepare for an offense that would feature Brunell, Coles, Gardner, Portis, Winslow and with Gibbs calling the shots!? Scary.
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 12:21 PM   #22
Defensewins
Playmaker

I would rather let the opposing d- coordinators sleep at night and win a Superbowl,
rather than having a team like Colts and KC, that constantly lose in the playoffs....because their defense (as is ours) is inadequate.
Mr. Snyder, the goal is to win superbowls, not to create a fantasy league team offense.

Last edited by Defensewins; 04-02-2004 at 12:29 PM.
Old 04-02-2004, 01:03 PM   #23
SkinsRock
Impact Rookie

Isn't the actual saying the opposite: The best offense is a great defense.
A great defense that keeps the opposing offense of the field is a great tool for the offense to have.
SkinsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 04:11 PM   #24
SKINSnCANES
Pro Bowl

One reason that Im not sure ive seen anyone mention about Winslow is he speed. Not his speed as a receiver, but the speed he offers as a blocker. If Johnson would have been Portis blocker he would have outran him. Now I know you are supposed to follow your blocker and wait for holes, but Portis is known for making the big play, and if you have a blocker that can run faster the big play will be bigger. Winslow is no where near as fast as portis, but he can block and run faster then a blocking fullback. Gibbs runs a lot of counters and end a rounds that this would prove useful.
Old 04-02-2004, 04:12 PM   #25
SKINSnCANES
Pro Bowl

With that I said, and with everyone knowing that ive made a lot of posts on those two, I havent voted yet and am still undecided. Im waiting for them to draft them both so I dont have to say what if
Old 04-02-2004, 04:15 PM   #26
SKINSnCANES
Pro Bowl

Well, I decided to vote for Taylor just becuase hes worth more to more teams. The Patriots can have their super bowls and Taylor to...
Old 04-02-2004, 07:29 PM   #27
JWsleep
Propane and propane accessories

Gibbs' offense is built on the H-back. Winslow looks like the perfect H-back prospect. Give the man the tools he needs on O. Fix the D next year. Rome wasn't built in a day!

KW II
Old 04-02-2004, 09:31 PM   #28
Ghost
Special Teams

I voted for Taylor because of our needs on D but I keep flip-flopping ... it would be nice to get them both but that's just a dream, ain't gonna happen. Kellen Winslow as H-back would make the offense dominant, Taylor would quarterback the D from day one and make up for the loss of Champ. I'm happy either way but it's Taylor by a nose hair because defense wins championships, yada yada, as others said before. But remember when the Rams won it all with no D to speak of? Hmmm. And you almost get the sense that Gregg Williams could take 11 Warpath posters and make a top flight D. Man I just don't know.
Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 12:01 AM   #29
skins009
Impact Rookie

Gibbs offense alread has everything it needs to be succesfull. Talented O-line where it all starts. A rising star as runningback. A rising star at qp (Ramsey not brunnel), and very talented recievers. The defense however is far from the super bowl calliber. It needs another playmaker, Tayler. A major help on the d-line. To me there's no question that our pick has to address the defense.
skins009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 09:40 AM   #30
joecrisp
The Starter

The more I read the Taylor-supporters' posts, the more I start flip-flopping. I voted for Winslow, but you guys make a pretty good argument for focusing on the defense in this draft. It's definitely true that the defense has been neglected in recent drafts, and they need a true playmaker in the secondary to complement Smoot.

I'd be ecstatic if the FO could figure out a way to get both Taylor and Winslow. I doubt it would happen. What about the possibility of getting both Taylor and Udeze? Talk about helping out the defense! Can you imagine a Gregg Williams defense featuring Udeze, Arrington, Washington, Smoot AND Taylor?! Now that would be freakin' scary!
joecrisp is offline   Reply With Quote