How the NFL works...

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 11-25-2013, 04:41 PM   #16
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Re: How the NFL works...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goat View Post
And a typical season within the NFCE 7 or 8 wins would have been the ceiling (though I suspect probably fewer, more like '10, '11, '13). But then the Cowboys saw umpteen players go out injured. The Eagles lost their best player (Jason Peters) along with several others and fell to pieces at the tail end of Reid's tenure. The Giants really never showed up all season.

I mean, we beat two winning teams all last season. You've really got layers of outliers. The division (year) was an outlier. The easy schedule was an outlier. The gimmick offense an obvious outlier.

Anyway, I think we're getting close to the end of this dark era and there's great opportunities ahead. That was my purpose for the thread.
Again with the "We only beat two winning teams" -- Say all you want about this year, but stop twisting last year's run into something other than a good team putting it together and going on a run against all types of of teams - even when it's starting QB went down. Jesus.

I did this once before with you - you're ability to twist facts so that they contort to confirm your bias and do so with a straight face is simply mind blowing. See Post 238 in the "Who's your pick's for next HC, DC and OC?" thread:

Quote:
Really nice revisionist history. "We won seven games in spite of bad coaching and were really just lucky." [EDIT: Your words quoted]

Let's get our facts straight shall we? During our run we beat the Cowboys (twice), the Giants, the Eagles (twice), the Ravens (you know, the eventual SB winners), and the Browns (with our back-up rookie QB, btw). In that run we scored 27 or more points six times and topped 30 points four times.

Had we not beaten the Cowboys (twice), they would have had a record of either 9-7 or 10-6 and would been in the play-offs had we even one lost just one to them. As to their "8-9 starters", please tell me who they were. I know S. Lee went down (a big loss), Radcliff (not so much), but, as I recall, we were playing w/out a few guys too. Outside the division, they were 5-5.

Had we not beaten the Giants (who were 7-4 to our 5-6 when we played them), they would have ended up 10-6 and in the play-offs. After playing us, their only other two losses were to the Baltimore Ravens, in Baltimore (You know, the eventual SB champs) and Atlanta in Atlanta (the NFC West Champs). Outside the division they were 6-4 (including wins over SF and GBay).

The only "gimme" games in the run were the Eagles. Cleveland wasn't good but we were down our starting QB. I seem to recall the rest of the team demonstrating a great deal of " discipline, preparedness and heart" in that game.

Have they lacked those things so far this year? Yup. However, to assert they lacked "discipline, preparedness and heart" during the run is simply ignorant, subjective, revisionist history originating from, consistent with and now used for support of your "Shanahan sucks at everything and always has" mindset.

... but, hey, every village needs an idiot. Thanks for filling an essential role here on the WP.

Advertisements
Old 11-25-2013, 04:45 PM   #17
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Quote:
LOL I'm not trying to leave y'all out. Giants had injuries, just didn't feel like they were in it all season. Post SB peak, similar to so many other winners.
They were 7-4 going into December with wins against San Francisco and Green Bay. They finished 9-7, with losses down the stretch to us, Baltimore (in Baltimore) and Atlanta (in Atlanta). They missed out on the playoffs BECAUSE WE BEAT THEM.

Such BS revisionist history.

Last edited by JoeRedskin; 11-25-2013 at 05:01 PM.
JoeRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 04:53 PM   #18
ram29jackson
Special Teams

Quote:
franchise in the league can be turned around (for good or bad) in roughly that time. The whole system promotes balance and equal opportunity, if you will.
parity means everybody sucks. Equality is for losers
ram29jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 05:36 PM   #19
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCanuck View Post
With all due respect to the EGO, this is false. The writer cherry picks one little indicator to demonstrate parity.

Baseball is a fckn joke and Selig is a douchebag. I'll leave it at that cuz I'm starting to get angry.
I'm not a fan of baseball either, but he throws out several facts to support his claim. How is he wrong exactly?
Old 11-25-2013, 05:44 PM   #20
MTK
\m/

Quote:
And a typical season within the NFCE 7 or 8 wins would have been the ceiling (though I suspect probably fewer, more like '10, '11, '13). But then the Cowboys saw umpteen players go out injured. The Eagles lost their best player (Jason Peters) along with several others and fell to pieces at the tail end of Reid's tenure. The Giants really never showed up all season.

I mean, we beat two winning teams all last season. You've really got layers of outliers. The division (year) was an outlier. The easy schedule was an outlier. The gimmick offense an obvious outlier.

Anyway, I think we're getting close to the end of this dark era and there's great opportunities ahead. That was my purpose for the thread.
Once again you line up the excuses for other teams... but ignore the fact we had plenty of injuries to contend with as well. We actually beat 3 winning teams, Minnesota, the Giants, and the Ravens.

10 wins, a div title, rookie of the year, 7 game win streak, 2nd leading rusher in the league, there's a lot of positives there. No need to discredit it.
Old 11-25-2013, 05:52 PM   #21
Skinzman
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Once again you line up the excuses for other teams... but ignore the fact we had plenty of injuries to contend with as well. We actually beat 3 winning teams, Minnesota, the Giants, and the Ravens.

10 wins, a div title, rookie of the year, 7 game win streak, 2nd leading rusher in the league, there's a lot of positives there. No need to discredit it.
Of course he needs to discredit it. It doesnt fit the narrative to the whole fire Shanny routine. Thats why all the anti-Shanny people never acknowledge the state of the team coming out of the Vinny era (usually acting like it was a very talented team) or the 18 mil cap penalty either. It looks a lot better to include that first year or two record where we had little chance and to assume 18 mil in cap space means nothing.

Thats also why they are pushing so hard for it to happen at the end of this year. They want that 18 mil to be a difference maker so they can say "See, I told you so".
Skinzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:23 PM   #22
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

The NFL has indeed achieved parity, and poor football......
--Steve Young
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:30 PM   #23
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:

No one believes that was your purpose for this thread
Old 11-25-2013, 06:50 PM   #24
The Goat
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
No one believes that was your purpose for this thread
I don't follow? Are you saying a good hire for our next HC won't lead to good things in the seasons ahead? That's the whole point IMO. The nfl is structured such that turnarounds come happen quickly. We've seen it across the whole NFC west now basically. Really too many examples of it to list.

I'm wondering if the subject matter is above some folks pay grade here...
Old 11-25-2013, 06:54 PM   #25
The Goat
Pro Bowl

I think the nfl is extremely competitive and the quality of the product overall pretty impressive too btw.
Old 11-25-2013, 07:31 PM   #26
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

The point is simple: Of course the NFL experiences parity. The 2012 Skins demonstrated this.

As an attempt to take a shot at the Shanahans, this thread fails.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 07:44 PM   #27
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
I don't follow? Are you saying a good hire for our next HC won't lead to good things in the seasons ahead? That's the whole point IMO. The nfl is structured such that turnarounds come happen quickly. We've seen it across the whole NFC west now basically. Really too many examples of it to list.

I'm wondering if the subject matter is above some folks pay grade here...
Sigh...you handle this JoeRedskin
Old 11-25-2013, 07:57 PM   #28
ram29jackson
Special Teams

Quote:
I think the nfl is extremely competitive and the quality of the product overall pretty impressive too btw.
cough))) lol when did you start watching ? 2 years ago ? j/k

when 4 teams make the playoffs the same year with 1st year/rookie QBs ( I Include Kaep) that means theres something lacking in the professional quality of the product.
Old 11-25-2013, 08:03 PM   #29
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

So we have a turnaround with a coach after three years and that is not an example of parity? hmmm you spin me right round baby right round like a record baby.
BaltimoreSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 08:16 PM   #30
ram29jackson
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreSkins View Post
So we have a turnaround with a coach after three years and that is not an example of parity? hmmm you spin me right round baby right round like a record baby.
Dead Or Alive - You Spin Me Round (Like a Record)...
">
Dead Or Alive - You Spin Me Round (Like a Record)...
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">