Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Clinton Portis sues NFL over concussions.

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 08-14-2013, 07:28 PM   #16
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

Re: Clinton Portis sues NFL over concussions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
Funny how these players weren't suing when they were getting game checks. It's probably because most of these bums don't want a real working job after football so they just try and get money the easy way
I agree with this post 100%. I think it is deplorable and pathetic that CP joins a long list of mostly broke and disgruntled ex-players. I saw CP's name pop up on total access this evening, along with Cadillac Williams, and Daunte Culpepper. I think it is more than a coincidence that all three players sucked at the end of their careers and it was obvious from listening to them speak that none of them was going to be able to do anything post-football.

I had heard that Portis was slightly better with his money than other ex-players who were in the lawsuit. I don't challenge Portis' number, but consider that he only was a full time starter for like 4 seasons due to other injuries, and that means he was clocking in at least 3 concussions a year.

Most all of them say that they have injury problems now that will prevent them from living a normal life. I wonder more if the fact that they don't know how to do anything else, most did not complete their education, and most are penniless, is what prevents them from living a normal life.

Our very own Pat White sued the NFL for "career ending injuries", but lo and behold he dropped the lawsuit when the Redskins came calling. And folks, it's a miracle, because now the guy who had all these problems and couldn't live a normal life is seemingly doing fine and back in the game....

Advertisements
Old 08-14-2013, 07:48 PM   #17
Green Monk Machine

Angry Re: Clinton Portis sues NFL over concussions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
Goodell isn't the one suing for injuries sustained while playing. Nearly all these rules that "soften" the game, are being driven by the lawsuits of former players. The owners/Goodell are not suddenly humanitarians, they simply don't want to lose in court, and if they don't show attempts to protect and inform the players, they will lose.
Well if that's the case, the nFL has the money to continue football and use the proceeds towards better pensions. If money is coming in where does it go? I'm not waiting all year for flag football. Changing a game and making it softer/safer takes away from the experience of the fan. Stat records change. I mean if players get hurt so be it. Hope they stayed in college, got a degree, saved $, and can live off what the union has agreed upon as far as medical coverage. Being a pro athlete is still a better living than not. Nowadays the defense isn't even allowed to hit a "defenseless receiver" but that receiver has protection to catch the ball and score and threaten the oppositions success? I see that as misbalanced. Guys lose jobs if receivers score. Idk, I feel like this emphasis to grow the nfl and be more appealing serves a majority that doesn't even appreciate or understand the sport if high scoring and non exististent defense is what is thrilling.

I'm off my soapbox. I'm going to go back outside and yell at cars driving too fast on my street.
Green Monk Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:01 PM   #18
MTK
\m/

I don't think CP has money issues.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:16 PM   #19
GoSkins!
The Starter

Sorry, but part of the reason for the insane high salaries that players get paid is because of the risk. Football really isn't that unique. Several other jobs have high "danger" pay too; and you can't take the pay, understand the risk, and then expect more money for taking that risk after the job is done.

I don't think people would pay as much to watch, nor would players get paid as much to play, non-violent (think flag) football. Players have the money to buy the most protective equipment money can buy and no one forces them to take the job if they don't want to risk long term injuries. Maybe next, soldiers can start suing the military.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:06 PM   #20
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSkins! View Post
Sorry, but part of the reason for the insane high salaries that players get paid is because of the risk. Football really isn't that unique. Several other jobs have high "danger" pay too; and you can't take the pay, understand the risk, and then expect more money for taking that risk after the job is done.

I don't think people would pay as much to watch, nor would players get paid as much to play, non-violent (think flag) football. Players have the money to buy the most protective equipment money can buy and no one forces them to take the job if they don't want to risk long term injuries. Maybe next, soldiers can start suing the military.

That isn't why their salaries are high. Risk has nothing to do with it. The demand for the sport has everything to do with it. Baseball, basketball, and golfers make just as much (if not more) than football players and their salaries are guaranteed. What their sport doesn't have is really any risk of permanent injuries to the brain. If risk had anything to do with salaries, NASCAR drivers would be the highest paid people in any sport.

People enjoy the brutal violence within the game, and have so since the days of the gladiator in the Roman coliseum.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 04:19 AM   #21
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Monk Machine View Post
With the help of the owners and NFPLA, it sort of is- his agenda and show..
BS ,you have blamed everyone but the players ,the players knew what they were doing end of story .Do I think the NFL should do more to help retirees....yes but are they at fault for this ...NO . Goodell sure as hell isn't at fault.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:04 AM   #22
mlmdub130
Playmaker

The NFL might not be at total fault, but I do think they bear some responsibility, as well as the players, teams, and team doctors.

It's funny to me that the majority sides with the multi-billion dollar industry of the NFL. And are quick to judge the players saying they are making a money grab.

This is a very complex issue and the side you tend to hear the most from is the more powerful side, the NFL. When you read about what a lot of these former players are going through its actually pretty sad. I mean how soon do we forget about all of the suicides that have happened over the past few years. Maybe it's just me but I would wait a second before I said they all are just lazy bums that can't get a job after the NFL.

ST21
mlmdub130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:38 AM   #23
Skinzman
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
BS ,you have blamed everyone but the players ,the players knew what they were doing end of story .Do I think the NFL should do more to help retirees....yes but are they at fault for this ...NO . Goodell sure as hell isn't at fault.
You go into rage mode every time someone criticizes Goodell. Its almost like you expect the Giants to be allowed to fake injuries to get extra timeouts and know that Goodell wouldnt do anything about it. Not like that would ever happen though...
Skinzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:39 AM   #24
GoSkins!
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
That isn't why their salaries are high. Risk has nothing to do with it. The demand for the sport has everything to do with it. Baseball, basketball, and golfers make just as much (if not more) than football players and their salaries are guaranteed. What their sport doesn't have is really any risk of permanent injuries to the brain. If risk had anything to do with salaries, NASCAR drivers would be the highest paid people in any sport.

People enjoy the brutal violence within the game, and have so since the days of the gladiator in the Roman coliseum.
But isn't the "demand for the sport" based on the "brutal violence within the game"? I didn't say that it is the only reason for high salaries, but I believe that it is an unfortunate reality in pro football. Just like wrecks in NASCAR. Without the wrecks, fewer people would watch, and salaries would be lower. Since there are wrecks, more people watch, which allows for higher salaries, and those higher salaries entice pro drivers to risk serious injury or death on the race track.

This same idea holds true in football. People aren't looking for players to get permanently injured, but they are waiting for those hits that lay out the other players. Those hit sometimes cause permanent damage. And I don't know if a player can blame the NFL for what the individual players do on the field. I wonder why the players don't sue the guy who hit them and caused the concussion too??? It is clear that this is where the NFL is going. They want to say that the rules would prevent issues if it wasn't for the players breaking the rules with "head shots". Therefore, sue the players, not the NFL.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:47 AM   #25
Skinzman
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSkins! View Post
But isn't the "demand for the sport" based on the "brutal violence within the game"? I didn't say that it is the only reason for high salaries, but I believe that it is an unfortunate reality in pro football. Just like wrecks in NASCAR. Without the wrecks, fewer people would watch, and salaries would be lower. Since there are wrecks, more people watch, which allows for higher salaries, and those higher salaries entice pro drivers to risk serious injury or death on the race track.

This same idea holds true in football. People aren't looking for players to get permanently injured, but they are waiting for those hits that lay out the other players. Those hit sometimes cause permanent damage. And I don't know if a player can blame the NFL for what the individual players do on the field. I wonder why the players don't sue the guy who hit them and caused the concussion too??? It is clear that this is where the NFL is going. They want to say that the rules would prevent issues if it wasn't for the players breaking the rules with "head shots", therefore, sure the players not the NFL.
NC's point is that salaries are tied directly to the amount of money that the sport brings in. He used other sports as examples. Golf being the best one. Since people watch it, they can bid out the rights to networks to air it for a lot of money. It doesnt have to have violence for people to like it. The "Brutal violence of Golf" is absolutely nothing, yet people still watch it.
Skinzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:47 AM   #26
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmdub130 View Post
The NFL might not be at total fault, but I do think they bear some responsibility, as well as the players, teams, and team doctors.

It's funny to me that the majority sides with the multi-billion dollar industry of the NFL. And are quick to judge the players saying they are making a money grab.

This is a very complex issue and the side you tend to hear the most from is the more powerful side, the NFL. When you read about what a lot of these former players are going through its actually pretty sad. I mean how soon do we forget about all of the suicides that have happened over the past few years. Maybe it's just me but I would wait a second before I said they all are just lazy bums that can't get a job after the NFL.
Agreed.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:55 AM   #27
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmdub130 View Post

Well said.

The NFL's argument is essentially the same argument made by employers prior to worker's compensation laws: Hey, you took a job at a sawmill - you worked with saws, you had to know you were at risk of cutting off your hand.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:07 AM   #28
FRPLG
MVP

Here's what I don't get. These guys weren't hired off the streets. They played football for YEARS before they were in the NFL. How does the NFL bear ALL the responsibility? Colleges? High schools? Pop Warner?
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:11 AM   #29
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
Well said.

The NFL's argument is essentially the same argument made by employers prior to worker's compensation laws: Hey, you took a job at a sawmill - you worked with saws, you had to know you were at risk of cutting off your hand.
The guy working the saw mill makes $8 an hour. Losing his hand effectively kills his ability to survive. Not as much for football players. Sort of subjective I know but I don't think a lot of people can empathize on this. Especially when contrasted to the risks that a lot of football players probably take by ingesting things they shouldn't. I guarantee a non-insignificant percentage of the 4500 used a PED at some point. That's called hypocrisy.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:11 AM   #30
Green Monk Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
Players WERE mentioned as referenced to the NFPLA that represents their interests and I support the players, but thanks for trying to have a position.
Green Monk Machine is offline   Reply With Quote