Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Overrated/Underrated Redskins

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 06-19-2013, 10:15 AM   #1
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Re: Overrated/Underrated Redskins

All time overrated: Gonna go with the Arrington crowd. He played to the crowd and bought into his own hype but he just never played anywhere near his ability. Imagine L.A. with Fletcher's work ethic and professionalism - not THAT would have been a beastly player.

All time (since the mid 70's) underrated : Tough, so many good solid guys. Harald McClinton, Brig Owens, Brad Dusek, Clint Didier, Milot, Olkewicz, Mayhew, Byner, Brad Edwards, Ken Harvey, Terry Allen ... Ultimately, I think I go with Olkewicz. Ten year career, mainstay of the Gibbs era defenses, run stuffer extraordinare, did most of the things Fletcher does(not the clear leader Fletcher is) without as much recognition as Fletch gets.

Current over rated: Merriweather. He has played one game for us and been cut by two teams. Until the draft, most here seem to assume he would be a difference maker in the defensive backfield. Maybe, but let's see him stay on the field for more than a game.

Current under rated: Again, a lot to choose from but for me it's one of three - Young, Cofield or Morgan. Going to go with Cofield only b/c the other two have already been mentioned.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:19 AM   #2
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
All time overrated: Gonna go with the Arrington crowd. He played to the crowd and bought into his own hype but he just never played anywhere near his ability. Imagine L.A. with Fletcher's work ethic and professionalism - not THAT would have been a beastly player.

All time (since the mid 70's) underrated : Tough, so many good solid guys. Harald McClinton, Brig Owens, Brad Dusek, Clint Didier, Milot, Olkewicz, Mayhew, Byner, Brad Edwards, Ken Harvey, Terry Allen ... Ultimately, I think I go with Olkewicz. Ten year career, mainstay of the Gibbs era defenses, run stuffer extraordinare, did most of the things Fletcher does(not the clear leader Fletcher is) without as much recognition as Fletch gets.

Current over rated: Merriweather. He has played one game for us and been cut by two teams. Until the draft, most here seem to assume he would be a difference maker in the defensive backfield. Maybe, but let's see him stay on the field for more than a game.

Current under rated: Again, a lot to choose from but for me it's one of three - Young, Cofield or Morgan. Going to go with Cofield only b/c the other two have already been mentioned.
I almost went there. Good call.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:23 AM   #3
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
A really good one for overrated by the fans. Meriweather has been just a guy, and one with questionable discipline throughout his career. Our fans are judging him by one half he played, despite missing 33 of 34 halves that we paid him for last year.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:41 AM   #4
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

I listed one player on offense and one player on defense for each category.

Underrated today: Barry Cofield, Chris Chester.

Overrated today: Brian Orakpo, Fred Davis.

All-time underrated: Larry Brown, Dave Butz.

All-time overrated: Lavar Arrington, Billy Kilmer
Old 06-19-2013, 10:42 AM   #5
irish
Playmaker

I think a lot of the views on CP are filtered through how much $ he was making. I think if his contract was more reasonable then I dont think he'd be considered so over-rated.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:47 AM   #6
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

CP was also outstanding in pass protection.

Edit: Noted above before I posted.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:05 AM   #7
SirLK26
The Starter

I'm just saying that, in my opinion, Clinton Portis was one of the best RBs in history. Very talented, very exciting to watch. Now, Tomlinson, Peterson, Dunn, some of those guys, yes, were more talented. But he was more exciting as a player, at least to me, and he was a lot of fun to follow. HOFer, without a doubt.

SirLK26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:48 AM   #8
CultBrennan59
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirLK26 View Post
I'm just saying that, in my opinion, Clinton Portis was one of the best RBs in history. ... HOFer, without a doubt.
Uhh, I hate to burst your bubble, but he is by no means a 'without a doubt' HOFer. Just because he holds some of the Redskins records for rushing doesn't mean he's a sure HOFer. Considered for the Hall of Fame way down the road? Maybe, but even then thats being generous to be honest with you.

Keep this in mind, Alfred Morris has been with us 1 year and has already broken the Redskins single season rushing record which was previously held by Clinton. Will Alfred break Clintons receiving numbers by a back? Maybe not. Will he block as great as Portis did? Probably not. But will he have more TDs, more yards, more first downs and be a better value than Portis? Its too early to tell, but the early signs point to him being a cheaper just as, if not more, productive back than CP.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:14 PM   #9
SirLK26
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CultBrennan59 View Post
Uhh, I hate to burst your bubble, but he is by no means a 'without a doubt' HOFer. Just because he holds some of the Redskins records for rushing doesn't mean he's a sure HOFer. Considered for the Hall of Fame way down the road? Maybe, but even then thats being generous to be honest with you.

Keep this in mind, Alfred Morris has been with us 1 year and has already broken the Redskins single season rushing record which was previously held by Clinton. Will Alfred break Clintons receiving numbers by a back? Maybe not. Will he block as great as Portis did? Probably not. But will he have more TDs, more yards, more first downs and be a better value than Portis? Its too early to tell, but the early signs point to him being a cheaper just as, if not more, productive back than CP.
Oh, s***. This debate is beginning to remind me of Sonny9TD.

Do you know why Morris broke that record? Because he wasn't the only offensive weapon. I already said it, but I'll say it again. If Portis had had a team as talented as last year's, instead of the crappy teams he had to put up with, he would have set that record way higher. Morris had a very good QB to take pressure off the running game; Portis was really the only offensive weapon while he was here. He was a much better runner than Morris.

As for the catching? I don't see any way Morris will ever get as many catches or yards as Portis had.

Blocking? Are you kidding me? Look at the video I posted; Portis was blocking like a beast near the end of the video. And that's part of the reason Portis was injured so much. He did his best on every single play. He put his body on the line every single game.

Boom. Roasted. I'm not taking anything away from Morris, because he's a very good RB, but as for an all around RB give me Portis any day of the week.

And my "Without a doubt a HOFer" comment, that's just my opinion, an opinion I know many others don't hold.
Old 06-19-2013, 03:52 PM   #10
CultBrennan59
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Oh, s***. This debate is beginning to remind me of Sonny9TD.

Do you know why Morris broke that record? Because he wasn't the only offensive weapon. I already said it, but I'll say it again. If Portis had had a team as talented as last year's, instead of the crappy teams he had to put up with, he would have set that record way higher. Morris had a very good QB to take pressure off the running game; Portis was really the only offensive weapon while he was here. He was a much better runner than Morris.

As for the catching? I don't see any way Morris will ever get as many catches or yards as Portis had.

Blocking? Are you kidding me? Look at the video I posted; Portis was blocking like a beast near the end of the video. And that's part of the reason Portis was injured so much. He did his best on every single play. He put his body on the line every single game.

Boom. Roasted. I'm not taking anything away from Morris, because he's a very good RB, but as for an all around RB give me Portis any day of the week.

And my "Without a doubt a HOFer" comment, that's just my opinion, an opinion I know many others don't hold.
If you read through my previous post, you'll see that I say that Morris isn't most likely never going to be as good or even close to as good as portis was at blocking and catching.

And you are right about Portis not having a QB. But the injuries and his career length don't help his case and for me are a major reason he was overrated (as well as the money he was being paid).
Old 06-19-2013, 03:56 PM   #11
donofriose
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CultBrennan59 View Post
If you read through my previous post, you'll see that I say that Morris isn't most likely never going to be as good or even close to as good as portis was at blocking and catching.

And you are right about Portis not having a QB. But the injuries and his career length don't help his case and for me are a major reason he was overrated (as well as the money he was being paid).
As well as trading Champ Bailey (who is a hall of famer and the best corner until Revis came along) and a draft pick... I still can't believe the redskins traded the best corner in the NFL at the time for the 3rd or 4th best running back at the time, and that ranking is generous.
donofriose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:22 AM   #12
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

CP was an excellent Redskin. I don't think he should be put in an over-rated category, and the trade shouldn't even be considered, because of the back story around it. If he had been in a stable organization I think he would have had a MUCH better career, but he wasn't and the Redskins weren't. He had his flaws, particularly going direct to Snyder, and griping about preseason, but in season on the field his game was as good as expectations.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:29 AM   #13
irish
Playmaker

No chance that CP gets in the HoF.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:38 AM   #14
SirLK26
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
No chance that CP gets in the HoF.
Look at that video I posted, and if you still say that Portis isn't worthy, we're gonna have to take this outside.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:25 PM   #15
irish
Playmaker

Quote:
Look at that video I posted, and if you still say that Portis isn't worthy, we're gonna have to take this outside.
A video does not a HoFer make. I bet someone could put together a video that makes Gus Ferrote look like he's a HoFer