Joe Gibbs and Veteran QB's

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 05-30-2013, 04:28 PM   #16
Defensewins
Playmaker

Re: Joe Gibbs and Veteran QB's

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake84 View Post
I've heard this rumor alot about Joe Gibbs, mainly that he had a track record of sticking with veteran QB's, and not benching them even when they struggled at times.

I am too young to remember Joe Gibbs' first time around, although i know well of the veteran QB's that he won super bowls with.

But is it really true? Did he really stick with the vets over younger, possibly better options? I only remember the 2006 season when Joe Gibbs benched Brunell, and i remember nearly all media at that point believed that Brunell was not the problem, that he was only a scapegoat for a team that was completely under-performing.

So was it fan pressure that led to Brunell's benching? Campbell was not really that much better, so why not play Campbell for those remaining games to see what they had, evaluate, and then have a position battle the next year?
That is trues for Thiesmann before LT broke his leg.
In 1985 Joey T was having one of the worst year of his career as a Redskins starter 8 TD's to 16 INT's. I was very frustrated with Joey T, it was difficult to watch. Gibbs never even looked like he considered benching Joe.
When Schroeder came in it was a breath of fresh air. I think after that experience Joe was more willing to replace his starter.
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 05-30-2013, 05:43 PM   #17
los panda
Pro Bowl

Old 05-30-2013, 09:49 PM   #18
skinsnut
Playmaker

Gibbs' claim to fame is that he won 3 superbowls all with different QB's.
Keep in mind, none of these will be in the hall of fame.
Think of this too...during Gibbs 2.0 he took 2 very mediocre teams to the playoffs after Spurrier destroyed the team...with an old Brunell and an uninspiring Campbell, not to mention Vinny.
Arguably, more impressive than the Superbowl wins with high talent....take a look at what happened after he left.

Gibbs generally kept his QB's in a long time...he offered a long leash...but he won a Superbowl by benching his starter (against Denver) Also, the year before Gibbs started...they only had one QBs anyways...after Gibbs, they carried only 2...but the drop off was ridiculous. There was no choice for at least the first 4 years...then the backups were usually vets, not young talent.

Brunell was just more accomplished. Campbell hadn't done squat and got sacked a ton because he was slow...at least Brunell could make some short completions without losing 10 yards at a chunk when we averaged 4 yards a run...do the math on that one, it aint pretty.

Gibbs is one heck of a coach, he generally got 3 more wins a season than a team should produce with decent coaching. He never had a superstar like RG3....and good thing...because if Shanny wins a SB with RG3...they will just say it is because of Elway and RG3

Gibbs always got the most out of the talent he had...if anything...he wore the wheels off...he should never be accused on not playing better talent on the bench....can't think of that ever happening in Gibbs 1 or Gibbs 2.0
Old 05-30-2013, 10:49 PM   #19
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensewins View Post
That is trues for Thiesmann before LT broke his leg.
In 1985 Joey T was having one of the worst year of his career as a Redskins starter 8 TD's to 16 INT's. I was very frustrated with Joey T, it was difficult to watch. Gibbs never even looked like he considered benching Joe.
When Schroeder came in it was a breath of fresh air. I think after that experience Joe was more willing to replace his starter.
Man, remember the 5 INTs on his birthday against Dallas to open the season? Or "The Punt" against Chicago?

The only guy who really never fell in Gibbs' good graces was Stan Humphries. Which is too bad because I always kind of liked Stan. But Stan was a bit of an underachiever
Old 05-30-2013, 11:05 PM   #20
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Man, remember the 5 INTs on his birthday against Dallas to open the season? Or "The Punt" against Chicago?

The only guy who really never fell in Gibbs' good graces was Stan Humphries. Which is too bad because I always kind of liked Stan. But Stan was a bit of an underachiever
You're right though....always seemed like a good dude
Like Rypien.
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:24 PM   #21
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsnut View Post
Gibbs' claim to fame is that he won 3 superbowls all with different QB's.
Keep in mind, none of these will be in the hall of fame.
Think of this too...during Gibbs 2.0 he took 2 very mediocre teams to the playoffs after Spurrier destroyed the team...with an old Brunell and an uninspiring Campbell, not to mention Vinny.
Arguably, more impressive than the Superbowl wins with high talent....take a look at what happened after he left.

Gibbs generally kept his QB's in a long time...he offered a long leash...but he won a Superbowl by benching his starter (against Denver) Also, the year before Gibbs started...they only had one QBs anyways...after Gibbs, they carried only 2...but the drop off was ridiculous. There was no choice for at least the first 4 years...then the backups were usually vets, not young talent.

Brunell was just more accomplished. Campbell hadn't done squat and got sacked a ton because he was slow...at least Brunell could make some short completions without losing 10 yards at a chunk when we averaged 4 yards a run...do the math on that one, it aint pretty.

Gibbs is one heck of a coach, he generally got 3 more wins a season than a team should produce with decent coaching. He never had a superstar like RG3....and good thing...because if Shanny wins a SB with RG3...they will just say it is because of Elway and RG3

Gibbs always got the most out of the talent he had...if anything...he wore the wheels off...he should never be accused on not playing better talent on the bench....can't think of that ever happening in Gibbs 1 or Gibbs 2.0
Like I've always said, Gibbs best coaching in Gibbs I was his final season, he took a team that was so beat up and came close to beating SF in SF. In Gibbs II he took a team that lost his best player to murder, also his starting QB to a season ending knee injury and making the playoffs. Yet people complained about Gibbs II, what he accomplished was astonishing in my opinion.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:37 AM   #22
Bishop Hammer
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Kinda sad that Skins fans got personal and treated Brunell like they did. Yeah Gibbs may have left him in there too long, but Gibbs did that w/ all his QB's when they played like shit... Rypien, Theismann and Jay S all played horrible and he tried to let em play their way out of it. Rypien was HORRIBLE in 92 and should have been benched but wasn't. Same with Theismann in 85 before LT snapped his leg. I was at that game and a lot of fans were actually cheering when Theismann was lying on the ground in pain.

I was told by a good friend of mine that the Brunell's had to take their daughter out of school (and home school her) because of the teasing by other kids. Pretty awful IMO.
Wow that's shameful. I want The Redskins to win but at the end of the day its just a bloody game.
he's already in me
I wanna be adored
I wanna be adored

Stone Roses
"I wanna be adored"
Bishop Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:46 PM   #23
SirLK26
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop Hammer View Post
Wow that's shameful. I want The Redskins to win but at the end of the day its just a bloody game.
Are you talking about football? It's not just a game, it's a way of life.
SirLK26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:01 PM   #24
HailGreen28
Playmaker

Quote:

Stan did make it to a superbowl. Did he just under achieve here, or even in San Diego did he never tap his potential?
HailGreen28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:22 PM   #25
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:

Yeah and the Cowboys fans sang happy birthday to Joe. That was hilarious.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:44 PM   #26
artmonkforhallofamein07
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
Like I've always said, Gibbs best coaching in Gibbs I was his final season, he took a team that was so beat up and came close to beating SF in SF. In Gibbs II he took a team that lost his best player to murder, also his starting QB to a season ending knee injury and making the playoffs. Yet people complained about Gibbs II, what he accomplished was astonishing in my opinion.
I definitely agree with your points on Gibbs 2.0. He did the best he could and had Todd Collins roll off four straight to get into the dance and almost knocked off a better Seatle team in their place in the playoffs.
Old 06-02-2013, 03:59 PM   #27
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

I am convinced that had Gibbs come back after his playoff season, he would have gone deep in the play offs and possibly a SB. Under Zorn, that team went 6-0, but then fell apart for a whole host of reasons - most of which Gibbs would have avoided.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:12 PM   #28
HailGreen28
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
I am convinced that had Gibbs come back after his playoff season, he would have gone deep in the play offs and possibly a SB. Under Zorn, that team went 6-0, but then fell apart for a whole host of reasons - most of which Gibbs would have avoided.
Maybe.

I thought these things sunk Zorn after we went 6-2: 1. Pittsburgh, and then everybody else figured out our offense plays, and Zorn didn't adjust enough. 2. In addition to figuring out our scheme, opponents stacked guys in the box to stop Portis and dared Campbell to beat them (he couldn't). 3. Our old OL gave out in the 2nd half of the season. 4. Blanche was a downgrade from Gregg Williams.
HailGreen28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:04 PM   #29
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

**** those ESPN wankers voting Joe Gibbs #9 on the bullshit poll.
NFL Football Teams, Scores, Stats, News, Standings, Rumors - National Football League - ESPN

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:24 PM   #30
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
I would also say the 87 team was simply great coaching as well because that was not one of the better Redskin Super Bowl teams. I remember the scab game when Dallas had a lot of their players cross the picket line... and play the final scab game. The Skins had 100% scabs and won the game because Gibbs and Pettibone simply out coached Dallas and Tom Landry. I remember Ed Rubbert (sp) got hurt and Tony Robinson, who had just gotten out of jail was running the wishbone. To me that was the best pure coaching I have ever seen. I think Danny White, Tony Dorsett and a few other starters managed like 7 points against our scab defense.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote