Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Cut Predictions

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 08-25-2012, 08:52 PM   #16
BrudLee
Playmaker

Re: Cut Predictions

I think Helu might be a goner. We've given Morris every opportunity to win his spot, and he's delivered both with the ball and without. Hightower is still the best blocker, so that leaves one spot left. My belief is the staff prefers Royster. The question is whether they can move Helu for a late round pick rather than let him go free.

Advertisements
Old 08-25-2012, 09:09 PM   #17
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Lol this thread took a hilarious turn reeeeeally quick. All I'm going to say is I hope Cedric Griffin's lack of pt in today's game can only mean one thing.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:13 PM   #18
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrudLee View Post
I think Helu might be a goner. We've given Morris every opportunity to win his spot, and he's delivered both with the ball and without. Hightower is still the best blocker, so that leaves one spot left. My belief is the staff prefers Royster. The question is whether they can move Helu for a late round pick rather than let him go free.
I think Hightower still needs to get through camp healthy before a Helu move would be considered. I think the IR is a more realistic possibility for Helu. I still think Shanny really likes him.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:25 PM   #19
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 goes 50 gut View Post
Cooley isn't going to get cut, he played with the first team tonight, at both FB which they are thin at, and TE. He showed on the long Morris run (down to the 3) and TD they he's the best blocking TE on the team.
I wouldn't be so sure of that. Also, Paulsen is the best blocking TE they have currently, not Cooley. I would probably even say that Paul is a better blocker as well.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:27 PM   #20
artmonkforhallofamein07
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 goes 50 gut View Post
Cooley isn't going to get cut, he played with the first team tonight, at both FB which they are thin at, and TE. He showed on the long Morris run (down to the 3) and TD they he's the best blocking TE on the team. His lack of involvement earlier in the preseason was just the coaches knowing he doesn't need to win a spot. He's only "under the microscope" in the media and on forums.

And It's got nothing to do with him being a fan favorite. Davis is a bong hit away from the end of his Redskins career... Paul is an undersized question mark... Why anyone thought Cooley was in danger is beyond me, except that it seems to be the favored pass time of some skins fans who have been ushering him out the door for 5 years now.
I think it has to do with his price tag. He is a valuable player but 5mil? With our limited cap room can we really afford over 10mil in TEs?
Old 08-25-2012, 09:34 PM   #21
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

I don't see Helu being cut to be honest. I think before we start crowning Morris as a lock, let's reflect on who the team was he was playing against. He was playing against a dreadful Colts defense that has always had issues against the run. Also, wasn't he running against the 2nd and 3rd stringers during the Chicago and Buffalo games? Helu actually had a higher YPC than Morris had in the Buffalo game. Now granted, he only had 4 carries so keep that in mind.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:37 PM   #22
skinsnut
Playmaker

At the end of last week I thought the rookie richard crawford looked like a potential top nickle back...well....he whiffed a few times tonight against backups and looked quite vanilla...I think his lack of showing up tonight just landed him safely on the practice squad.

I do give the talk of Cooley getting cut some merit, I personally didn't think his blocking was that great tonight, Paulsen seems a better blocker and he has proven he can catch the standard TE passes last wk. Giving Cooley that much for a backup role is hard to swallow.

Regarding cutting Moss, I did think it was unthinkable, but he hasn't caught much and they put him in as a punt returner. The first think I thought was, he is expendible, and based on potential with other WR, it is possible they cut him, though not likely.

The only shock cuts could be Cooley or Moss
Old 08-25-2012, 10:29 PM   #23
saden1
MVP

Anthony Armstrong is a definite casualty, Cooley will make the team, everyone else that isn't a sure bet starter will be on the bubble.

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 12:50 AM   #24
That Guy
Living Legend

the first cut is for 4th stringers, not royster or moss or doughty etc

c griff and AA/TA are probably gone. robinson and briscoe showed up, and your #5/#6 receiver aren't going to get crap for playing time anyways unless you have some really bad luck, so that's a good place to start.

my guess:
WR Lance Lewis
WR Samuel Kirkland
WR Anthony Armstrong
TE Beau Reliford
TE Richard Quinn
RB Antwon Bailey
RB Lennon Creer
LB Donnell Holt
LB Monte Lewis
LB Brian McNally
OG Nick Martinez
FB Dorson Boyce
DT Marlon Favorite
DB Travon Bellamy
C Grant Garner

or something like that.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:42 AM   #25
Meks
Pro Bowl

Moss.has returned punts plenty of times.since shanny has.been.here, he's historically pretty decenr at it... i wouldnt read into.him.being "expendable" based on that... moss is gonna kill it in the slot, and id be beside myself with dis.belief if he was.cut
R.I.P #21SEAN TAYLOR
Meks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:43 AM   #26
44 goes 50 gut

Quote:
Originally Posted by artmonkforhallofamein07 View Post
I think it has to do with his price tag. He is a valuable player but 5mil? With our limited cap room can we really afford over 10mil in TEs?
Freeing up cap room so they can sign who? If they wanted his cap room they would have cut him in June and tried to sign someone with what they freed up. Back when there were actual significant players to use the money on.

Again Davis is a puff puff pass away from a year suspension. It would be foolhardy to not hedge your bets with Davis.

He's not only not getting cut, he's in absolutely no danger of being cut. For the simple reasons already noted.

Whoever said Paul is a better blocker isn't watching the same preseason I am. Niles Paul is a good teamer, but a pretty mediocre TE at the moment, he's an experiment they're trying because they can't keep him as a wide out, but they love his special teams play and work ethic.

Paulson is a good blocking TE yes, IMO Cooley has better technique but less strength. If only because he's more of an overall threat, he's the better TE.

All of this is ignoring the fact that dual threat TE's are all the rage, and something that the Shanahan's have a whole package designed around even before what New England did last year. It's called the Tiger package.

Every shred of evidence suggests that Cooley is not even being evaluated seriously. Let me list them:

Didn't get much action in game 1 and 2 (except sub'ing for the FB which also makes Cooley valuable on a team that's thread bare at that spot)

Check

Played with the first team in preseason game 3

Check

Wasn't cut when his money would have freed up cap space for a big signing

Check

Is the best overall TE on the roster and looked like it in game 3

Check

Every other TE has played later into games than him (except as FB) including Davis.

Check

None of those things are consistent with players who are "on the bubble"
However ALL of those things ARE consistent with a Veteran player who the coaches aren't seriously considering cutting.
44 goes 50 gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:48 AM   #27
REDSKINS4ever
Playmaker

At wide receiver, you have to think that Austin, Armstrong, and Banks will get waived. Banks 91 yard punt return for a TD last week looked nice, but I don't see Shanahan going back on his word about Banks needing to contribute at WR in order to make the team, something that he hasn't done. Briscoe and Robinson seems to have the edge for the last few receiver slots.
REDSKINS4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:50 AM   #28
CultBrennan59
Pro Bowl

Helu? Cut?!? Please. He'll be IRed before he ever gets cut
Old 08-26-2012, 08:08 AM   #29
RGIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
the first cut is for 4th stringers, not royster or moss or doughty etc

c griff and AA/TA are probably gone. robinson and briscoe showed up, and your #5/#6 receiver aren't going to get crap for playing time anyways unless you have some really bad luck, so that's a good place to start.

my guess:
WR Lance Lewis
WR Samuel Kirkland
WR Anthony Armstrong
TE Beau Reliford
TE Richard Quinn
RB Antwon Bailey
RB Lennon Creer
LB Donnell Holt
LB Monte Lewis
LB Brian McNally
OG Nick Martinez
FB Dorson Boyce
DT Marlon Favorite
DB Travon Bellamy
C Grant Garner

or something like that.
Thanks 'Guy.
RGIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:54 AM   #30
CapitalDefense

Quote:
Originally Posted by CultBrennan59 View Post
Helu? Cut?!? Please. He'll be IRed before he ever gets cut
I think this is right, instead of losing Royster or Helu by cutting them, just IR one of them. Morris is on the team and Hightower is getting healthier so you IR Royster and hope Helu is ready to go in 10 or so days.
CapitalDefense is offline   Reply With Quote