Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Make a Decison on the Future of...

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-19-2011, 11:16 AM   #16
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Re: Make a Decison on the Future of...

^ wow forgot about Armstrong, I guess that says it all about him.

Solid, play making free agent at WR is why you get rid of Stallworth.

I had Paul listed as: "Paul/late draft pic" meaning Paul could be replaced if we get someone in this years draft who could take Paul's spot. Unlikely, but possible. But I think Paul sticks next year.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-19-2011, 11:30 AM   #17
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
So you're saying let Stallworth go? Bring one of the receivers you mentioned in to be a 1 or 2 and slide everyone down? Or bring one of those guys in to be a 3-5 WR?
Honestly, I don't know if I can make a reasonable argument for bringing Stallworth or even Moss back. You head into next year with Jabar Gaffney as the clear go-to receiver and Leonard Hankerson as the clear number two. I mean, those two are pretty much unchallenged at this point.

Then you have your depth guys in Armstrong, Banks, and someone who we'll pick in the 2012 draft, with Aldrick Robinson challenging for one of those spots.

What's left? The slot guy. So I would think the Redskins want that to be Niles Paul. It's possible, maybe even likely, that the Redskins would keep Santana Moss in 2012 and release Paul, but that still doesn't leave an obvious spot for Stallworth, unless there's no draft or acquisition at the position.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:31 AM   #18
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
^ wow forgot about Armstrong, I guess that says it all about him.

Solid, play making free agent at WR is why you get rid of Stallworth.

I had Paul listed as: "Paul/late draft pic" meaning Paul could be replaced if we get someone in this years draft who could take Paul's spot. Unlikely, but possible. But I think Paul sticks next year.
I think it's either Paul or Moss as the no. 3 next year. Moss is clearly and obviously better right now, but it will be interesting to see how much they think of Niles Paul.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:36 AM   #19
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
I think it's either Paul or Moss as the no. 3 next year. Moss is clearly and obviously better right now, but it will be interesting to see how much they think of Niles Paul.
Would you be comfortable with Hankerson, Moss, Gaffney as your top 3 next year?
Old 12-19-2011, 11:42 AM   #20
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Very.

I would just wish that if they believe in these young guys (like Paul), they'd move a vet out of the way to have him play. Paul hasn't exactly ran with the opportunity just yet, but if he shows up in practice as much as the coaches say, then he should be a big part of next year's plans.

If not, then I'd be fine with Gaffney/Hankerson/Moss while we draft and develop Gaffney's replacement.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:51 AM   #21
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
Very.

I would just wish that if they believe in these young guys (like Paul), they'd move a vet out of the way to have him play. Paul hasn't exactly ran with the opportunity just yet, but if he shows up in practice as much as the coaches say, then he should be a big part of next year's plans.

If not, then I'd be fine with Gaffney/Hankerson/Moss while we draft and develop Gaffney's replacement.
So if you're comfortable with that as your top 3 then what's the harm in having Stallworth in there as part of your next 3?

Anyhow, I didn't mean to make this only about Stallworth

I let Golston and Rocky walk

I hold on to Carriker

Ditto for Montgomery

Really not sure about Hightower. Wish there sign and trades like in the NBA
Old 12-19-2011, 11:52 AM   #22
That Guy
Living Legend

vet min! seriously though, no one on that list is going to be making any kind of money, so, sure, if they're cheap, why not.

we need the keep the OL guys simply because we didn't have enough to start this season and ended up fishing in the post deadline FA pool... which is never good.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 11:56 AM   #23
MTK
\m/

This offense needs more playmakers. I think our WRs are solid but unspectacular. Maybe Hankerson or Paul can be that type of guy eventually, but I feel like we need to make a move to bring in a guy that really scares a D.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:57 AM   #24
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
So if you're comfortable with that as your top 3 then what's the harm in having Stallworth in there as part of your next 3?

Anyhow, I didn't mean to make this only about Stallworth

I let Golston and Rocky walk

I hold on to Carriker

Ditto for Montgomery

Really not sure about Hightower. Wish there sign and trades like in the NBA
Well, I don't think much of Stallworth as a player and I'm not sure what he adds. Then if we're presuming a top three round draft pick spent on a WR, we're really just talking about one spot remaining in the receiver rotation. And why that would go to Stallworth doesn't make a lot of sense to me. He can't possibly be the best candidate for the job.

Now if you make a tough decision like releasing Moss so that you can tender a contract to Stallworth, that's at least saying to me that you think Stallworth has more left in the tank than Moss does and should battle for the no. 3 WR position. I would at least try to defend that line of reasoning. But if Stallworth doesn't have more left in the tank then Moss, then why even bother to bring him to camp?
Old 12-19-2011, 11:57 AM   #25
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Like the guy I told you about Matty?
Old 12-19-2011, 11:59 AM   #26
over the mountain
Playmaker

Quote:
Tim Hightower:
Adam Carriker:
Kedrick Golston:
Rocky McIntosh:
Will Montgomery:
Tyler Polumbus:
Donte Stallworth:
Hightower - i think he is our best option as our starting runningback with helu being mixed in heavily and royster (or some late round draft pick/ufa guys) battling for 3rd string and pratice squad.

With his injury I think we could sign him to a modest 3 yr 4.5 mil total contract.

Carriker - One of the quickest and best ways to improve depth is to upgrade starters and I think this might be the case here. If we can add a better end and slide carriker to a backup/fill in role I think we improve in two areas. On the flip side, upgrading carriker isnt at the top of my list of must do's this season either.

Another modest 3 yr 4 mil contract should do.

Golston/mcintosh - let them walk. I think rocky wants more than he is actually worth in our 3-4, he'll have better days back in a 4-3 where he can extend his career for a few more seasons. getting 1 or 2 potential starter MLBs is a high priority this offseason imo. wouldnt mind seeing a decent contract offered to the best avail mlb FA and a 3rd or 4th rounder used on a rookie. Also i havent given up on lorenzo alexander being given a chance to backup if riley or FA replaces rocky.

Montgomery - Should def resign. He is a decent guard in our ZBS and has proven to be a serviceable backup center. If we can upgrade at center and move montgomery to backup im all for it.

Also he would be on the cheap imo. 2.5 mil 3-4 yr deal. Quality depth and spot starter is what this team needs more of.

Polumbus - I dont have much hope for him as a starter and not even really as a contributer in 2012 but id offer him a workout contract and let him be a warm body in august. if he makes it, great. unless we get saddled with injuries i dont see his name being on the 53 for any game next season.

Stallworth - couldnt really care either way. his production and what he brings is easily findable and replaceable, the stallworths of the nfl are a dime a dozen imo.

Last edited by over the mountain; 12-19-2011 at 12:18 PM.
over the mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 12:00 PM   #27
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Like the guy I told you about Matty?
assuming we can still land a starting QB, sure
Old 12-19-2011, 12:03 PM   #28
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
I wouldnt. I dont think Shanny or Kyle would be either. Moss and Gaffney deliever with the same production and certainly have value in this system. Hankerson still needs to develop and show what he has coming off a bad injury(we are about to learn alot about Hankerson on how he responds). Stallworth would fit with Moss and Gaffney from a production standpoint, but has not delievered on the field consistently enough to do so.

Shanny wants playmakers on offense and WR will be at the top of the list in the offseason.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 12:22 PM   #29
over the mountain
Playmaker

i dont think there is any chance the ravens let ben grubbs walk. He is considered their best O lineman and their O line was dysfunctional when he was out for a few games earlier this season.

Rice and Grubbs are huge priorities for the ravens.
Old 12-19-2011, 03:21 PM   #30
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
This offense needs more playmakers. I think our WRs are solid but unspectacular. Maybe Hankerson or Paul can be that type of guy eventually, but I feel like we need to make a move to bring in a guy that really scares a D.
To me it all comes down to who's getting them the ball. It's proven that teams can win with average wr's if you have a stud QB. These guys that we currently have are not playmakers but they're getting open. For the most part they've been open all year long. I bring back this group, let them compete and see how it shakes out. And Jabar Gaffney has just been rock solid, boy was I wrong about him. But I hope they don't go out and overpay for someone like Dwayne Bowe or Marcus Colston. Improve the line and draft a legit QB and we can win with this group of wr's.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote