Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Young Redskins' Players

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-12-2011, 02:47 PM   #16
mbedner3420
The Starter

Re: Young Redskins' Players

I really like Darrell Young. Not sure why, he is just a fullback afterall, but I think he is a really good talent for a player that had never played the position prior to coming to the Skins.
mbedner3420 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-12-2011, 02:49 PM   #17
MTK
\m/

In the end this is all very easy for us to analyze from a distance. We don't get to see these guys in practice, or how they conduct themselves off the field, in the film room, etc. Plus with no offseason, that definitely set some guys back.
Old 12-12-2011, 02:49 PM   #18
DCtoAZ
Impact Rookie

I actually think Shanny/Allen have done a nice job building this team with young studs ... i know losing sucks and I love Brian Mitchell and his brutal honesty but hey let's BE REAL .. if you aren't in a playoff hunt and you have a chance to build this puppy and turn around VERY QUICKLY .. I like what I see big time .. Helu is obviously a fan favorite and a bad ass .. Kerrigan & Orakpo duh ... Gomes is nice and will get better .. Hankerson will be strong next season .. Davis & Williams will also be great (who give a crap about the suspensions) ... You put another solid draft (we have lots of picks) and a FA or 5 .. man o man .. Just imagining RGIII or Barkley is so money .. keep grossman as backup for sure ... i have an odd love for sexy rexy .. and if we didn't get a bum call Moss would have caught that tying touchdown and Shanny would have went for 2 and we could have one !
NFC EAST CHAMPS RG3 will be back & #12 can run the show until hes ready.We are young w depth. 23,59,89 will all be back.Alfred Morris aka Diesel Hybrid ! @DCtoAZ81 ...2013 NFC CHAMPS
DCtoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 03:10 PM   #19
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
In the end this is all very easy for us to analyze from a distance. We don't get to see these guys in practice, or how they conduct themselves off the field, in the film room, etc. Plus with no offseason, that definitely set some guys back.
That's correct of course, but we get to see the result on Sunday. I think if you're going to nitpick with the job the coaching staff does on a day to day basis, you need to be more of an insider than fans get to be. But if you're going to point out that things don't change over a two year span and the mistakes being made in Week 14, 2011 are the same mistakes being made in Week 8, 2010, then the nitty gritty details of how the Redskins coaches run the day to day operations of the team aren't really relevant.

I continue to believe that all the evidence shows that the movement towards young players is not a reflection of a great organization rebuilding philosophy, but because the coaches simply ran out of options. And so: good for the young players who are getting their opportunity. But the Redskins future under Mike Shanahan is not apparently tied to any of these young players, but rather to NFL veterans who have not yet been acquired. I think that is just the history of Mike Shanahan as a coach suggests that he'll win or lose with veterans.

And so the youth movement feels good right now, but it's going to take another really good draft in 2012 and a significantly better job of getting the right vets in here to win with Mike Shanahan as head coach.
Old 12-12-2011, 03:59 PM   #20
diehard
The Starter

Get out of my head 'mudgeon!
Old 12-12-2011, 05:00 PM   #21
sportscurmudgeon
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
Like Philly did with Mathews. He was clearly not ready to play at the beginning of the year and the only thing they did by playing him was hurt both his development and the team's defense.
True; Matthews was nowhere near ready to play MLB in the NFL in September 2011. But they started Matthews and played him full-time when the Eagles' season still had a future associated with it.

I wonder why the Redskins cannot play a few youngsters for a series or two in games that mean nothing to the Redskins.

That is a significant difference...
sportscurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 05:07 PM   #22
sportscurmudgeon
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Matty:

You are abolutely right; this is done from a distance.

However, consider this. If the guys I suggest ought to "get a look" sometime in the final 3 games are not conducting themselves properly in the film roon or off the field, why are they still here? If the guys I suggest ought to "get a look" sometime in the final 3 games still cannot show enough in practice to play in a meaningless game, why are they still here?

Every team had "no offseason". The guys at the back-end of the Skins' 53 man roster are at no greater disadvantage than any other NFL player in terms of development.

I fully expect that not a single player that I suggested should "get a look" in the final 3 games will play so well that we will all wonder why they have not been starting since Game 1 of the season. They are going to be raw and they are going to make some mistakes. But in these last 3 games it just does not matter if that is what they do...

The cost of them making mistakes - - or even playing very poorly for the series or two they are on the field - - is minimal.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:33 PM   #23
Bushead
Impact Rookie

Every time Shanahan as inserted a young player into the line up, we collectively all are amazed at how well they perform. I mean Hankerson with his first start, Helu taking the starting job, Riley when he was inserted, The left side of the line yesterday (they did a lot better than I thought they would).

I think that is because he waits until he knows they are ready. And if I can feel certain that every time he inserts a rookie that they are ready to go, i'll take that.
Bushead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 06:16 PM   #24
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscurmudgeon View Post
Matty:

However, consider this. If the guys I suggest ought to "get a look" sometime in the final 3 games are not conducting themselves properly in the film roon or off the field, why are they still here? If the guys I suggest ought to "get a look" sometime in the final 3 games still cannot show enough in practice to play in a meaningless game, why are they still here?

Every team had "no offseason". The guys at the back-end of the Skins' 53 man roster are at no greater disadvantage than any other NFL player in terms of development.

I fully expect that not a single player that I suggested should "get a look" in the final 3 games will play so well that we will all wonder why they have not been starting since Game 1 of the season. They are going to be raw and they are going to make some mistakes. But in these last 3 games it just does not matter if that is what they do...

The cost of them making mistakes - - or even playing very poorly for the series or two they are on the field - - is minimal.
Is this thread all just some ploy that Lotus put you up to? Is this really a Start Crompton thread in disguise?
Old 12-12-2011, 07:21 PM   #25
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscurmudgeon View Post
Matty:

I'm just saying some guys develop faster than others, while some benefit from being brought along more slowly. Over the last 3 games perhaps we will see some other guys get some looks, but at the same time as I'm sure you know Shanahan is still trying to win these games, no matter what the suck for a draft pick crowd wants to think.

Thought this was a good read related to this topic

Redskins hope Perry Riley is ready for next step - The Washington Post
Old 12-12-2011, 07:58 PM   #26
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

The Redskins have some nice young talent. I love Willie Smith, he could be the RT of the future, Royster looked good, Hurt is not bad. I would like to see Brandyn Thompson get a chance also Markus White.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:20 PM   #27
T.O.Killa
The Starter

One guy that realy sucked when he got his chance, Erik Cook. I think they should release his self.
T.O.Killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:44 PM   #28
REDSKINS4ever
Playmaker

You have to be an exceptional player in order to play for Shanahan right away as a rookie. In 2002, in Clinton Portis rookie season, Portis was called upon to shoulder the load in the running game even though he had well under 300 rushes for that season.

Speaking of the Redskins younger players, I like Ryan Kerrigan, Leonard Hankerson, and Roy Helu, three players who have the potential to be cornerstones of the franchise in the near future.
REDSKINS4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 12:03 PM   #29
sportscurmudgeon
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Is this thread all just some ploy that Lotus put you up to? Is this really a Start Crompton thread in disguise?
Lotus absolutely did not put me up to this. Notice I have not mentioned Crompton's name here because he is not one of the "youngsters" I would throw into action at this point.
Old 12-13-2011, 12:07 PM   #30
sportscurmudgeon
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.O.Killa View Post
One guy that realy sucked when he got his chance, Erik Cook. I think they should release his self.
I agree. Erik Cook did not distinguish himself when he had to play earlier this year. Nonetheless, he is on the roster now; and at some point in 2012, there will need to be a decision regarding whether or not he stays on the roster.

So, maybe you give him 10 offensive plays in two of the final three games to see if there has been any improvement. It is not as if it will matter with regard to the Skins' accomplishments as a team for 2011...

Last edited by sportscurmudgeon; 12-13-2011 at 12:09 PM. Reason: grammar correction