Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Redskins broadcast team

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 11-28-2011, 02:24 PM   #16
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Re: Redskins broadcast team

I don't mind Sonny, and the only way someone could enjoy listening to Sam Huff is if they enjoy people talking out of their ass. Sam's gotta retire soon. And I've never had to listen to the game live on the radio, I'm only saying this based on the snippets I've heard of them on YouTube and elsewhere.

Advertisements
Old 11-28-2011, 03:16 PM   #17
mlmpetert
Playmaker

Also as a side note, you cannot listen to Sam, Sonny and Larry (or any other radio broadcast) while watching your tv. I used to think that i wasnt able to do it because the delay on my tv was from the cable company, but i have got rid of cable and tried it earlier this year and there was still a big delay. I remember doing it as a kid and liking it a lot, but its just not possible anymore.
Old 11-28-2011, 03:44 PM   #18
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmpetert View Post
The dude thinks everthing he says is funny and insightful and would talk over people all the time, could you imagine working with someone like that?

I liked him on PTI, but even to this day i still resent him for making MNF unbearable for me for 2 years. The next time Tony is out on PTI and Bob Ryan or the other guy is in pay attention and decide if its a better a show without him. I honestly think it is.

I like Around the Horn better and even Sports Nation now. I thought Max Kellerman was 10x better in Around then Horn then Tony Reali, however i like Tony Reali now. SS can you tell us if Max Kellerman left on his own or did he just really want to persue boxing or something?
What I think of TK and Reali...I won't say

I think Kellerman and ESPN just couldn't agree on a new contract. No hard feelings

Huff has long been a joke. I've said this before, he constanly has to be woken up because he dozes off in the booth. This is from 10 years ago. No idea why he's still around. I suspect it's because of Sonny
Old 11-28-2011, 04:07 PM   #19
mlmpetert
Playmaker

TK seems like he has a massive ego. He almost reminds me a little of Keith Olberman, except cursed with bad looks.

Reali seems like he could be a real asshole. I remember the first time i saw him on Around the Horn and he was just giving points away for no reason and muting people just to be a dick, i was like who the f is this kid? Max used to make people work for their points so the mute was a much more powerful "tool". Reali knows his stuff, but I think Max probably knows a lot more and is a lot smarter. Now the show is just a lot goofier, not necessarily bad thing, but I don’t think it is as good as it was. Its still my favorite out of PTI and Sports Nation.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:28 PM   #20
MTK
\m/

Quote:
This is exactly how i feel. You cant take Sonny and especially Sam as serious color guys.

Redskins Nation is probably the worst Redskins show out there, but i think Larry Micheals is a damn fine play by play guy. I think hes one of the best in radio when it comes to calling a game and painting a picture of what’s happening. I dont mind Sam and Sonny (and even like their antics) but you have to take it for what it is. They are funny and entertaining, not serious and insightful.
I guess that's the problem. #1 they're not funny, and #2 if you can't add insight & meaning to a game as analysts get the hell off the radio.

Sometimes I feel like Larry is the only one that's actually working, and Sonny and Sam are just kinda there hanging out, probably smoking cigars, hitting a flask and just watching and commenting like two old guys sitting in a bar would be doing.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:43 PM   #21
mlmpetert
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
I guess that's the problem. #1 they're not funny, and #2 if you can't add insight & meaning to a game as analysts get the hell off the radio.

Sometimes I feel like Larry is the only one that's actually working, and Sonny and Sam are just kinda there hanging out, probably smoking cigars, hitting a flask and just watching and commenting like two old guys sitting in a bar would be doing.

Im almost certain thats exactly whats going on......

I get some poeple dont like it. Im sure others like me do like it. But honestly the vast majority of people dont care. I dont think very many people, besides those in the bathroom at Fedex, actually listen to game on AM radio.
Old 11-28-2011, 05:03 PM   #22
DCtoAZ
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddyg12 View Post
Sonny & Sam are a comedy team! I know what yall are saying, they should've hung it up years ago. Still, their presence means something to me, I'll be sad when they're gone, they're part of old DC.
For THAT reason alone they can do it until they die ... Hail to Sonny, Same, & FRANK .. I moved away from DC about 8 years ago and haven't had the patience to hook up the radio and sync it with the TV but I do love Sonny, I feel bad for Sam, and Frank was the sh*t that kept it all together. He was the glue, IMO that's where they made the mistake. Sonny for me is up there with Riggo as 2 of the most notable Redskins figures in history.
NFC EAST CHAMPS RG3 will be back & #12 can run the show until hes ready.We are young w depth. 23,59,89 will all be back.Alfred Morris aka Diesel Hybrid ! @DCtoAZ81 ...2013 NFC CHAMPS
DCtoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 05:28 PM   #23
jsnyder03
Camp Scrub

All three are awful!! I typically listen to the games on Sirius and go to the opponent's broadcast team. Larry is clearly the most competent of the three, but pisses me off that 90% of the time he exagerates the play in the Redskins favor. On 1st and ten our rb gets hit at the line of scrimmage, breaks three tackles, falls forward for a gain of four....then hear it is 2nd and 9.........consistently!!! The opponent's rb gets hit in the backfield and dropped immediately.......then it is 2nd and 6!! Drives me crazy.....just be honest about the dam play!!
jsnyder03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 11:01 PM   #24
rocnrik
Playmaker

Why would the Redskins put Sam huff in this position?..he has some issues and they continue to let him stay on ..its very sad..he needs to be put on a medical leave..its not a funny situation..its sad..just like this franchise ..it is very sad indeed.
rocnrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:31 AM   #25
Coff
Impact Rookie

I'm out of the area, so I have to listen to most Skins games. I have to say that Sonny and Sam are great to listen to; Huff's dementia is lovable in a grandfatherly way, and the two Redskins legends provide a sense of home and warmth. So long as you don't care about what's going on in the game, they are perfect. If you DO care what's going on the game, then they're both absolute garbage; I have lost count of the number of times they have called an interception a completed pass and vice-versa, and never in a way that works out for the Redskins. They seriously have no idea what's going on.
Coff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:32 AM   #26
mlmdub130
Playmaker

Quote:
Im almost certain thats exactly whats going on......

I get some poeple dont like it. Im sure others like me do like it. But honestly the vast majority of people dont care. I dont think very many people, besides those in the bathroom at Fedex, actually listen to game on AM radio.
they are on fm also. when was the last game you heard them call? it's not funny it's down right embarassing if you ask me. sam honestly does not know what is going on anymore, he is just up there saying what ever pops into his mind. it's not a matter of him being funny it's him losing his mind and no one having the balls to telll him it's time to hang it up, it's actually kind of pathetic and sad. i really hope this is his last year.

ST21
mlmdub130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:37 AM   #27
Coff
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Sonny & Sam are awful and should have retired years ago.

I stick with the national feeds whenever possible. Something about the "hometown" radio crews sitting their openly rooting for their team just irks me.
Really? That's what's so great about a local broadcast team; you're hearing the game called from a fellow fan's perspective. So long as they stick to making objective reasonably objective observations, who cares that they openly root for the team you're rooting for?
Coff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:56 AM   #28
mlmdub130
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coff View Post
I'm out of the area, so I have to listen to most Skins games. I have to say that Sonny and Sam are great to listen to; Huff's dementia is lovable in a grandfatherly way, and the two Redskins legends provide a sense of home and warmth. So long as you don't care about what's going on in the game, they are perfect. If you DO care what's going on the game, then they're both absolute garbage; I have lost count of the number of times they have called an interception a completed pass and vice-versa, and never in a way that works out for the Redskins. They seriously have no idea what's going on.
i completely agree

ST21
mlmdub130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:53 AM   #29
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coff View Post
Really? That's what's so great about a local broadcast team; you're hearing the game called from a fellow fan's perspective. So long as they stick to making objective reasonably objective observations, who cares that they openly root for the team you're rooting for?
If I wanted another fan's perspective I can just go belly up to a bar somewhere.

When are they ever objective? That's my point.

When all they add to the game is "come D gotta stop 'em here", that's useless to me.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:51 AM   #30
celts32
Playmaker

The bottom line is that Snyder idolizes Sonny and would never fire him. And that's what seems to keep the whole booth together. This is the downside of having a lifelong fan as an owner. An owner who is not a fan looks at Sonny & Sam as 2 old man that are doing a bad job and need to go. Dan looks at them as legendary former Redskins...

“Goal line, goal line. I-left, tight wing, 70 chip on white.”

www.facebook.com/HackettstownBeerClub
celts32 is offline   Reply With Quote