Let's Talk Levi Jones and Offensive Line

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 11-17-2009, 08:45 AM   #16
Longtimefan
Playmaker

Re: Let's Talk Levi Jones and Offensive Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by CultBrennan59 View Post
Even if Levi does good against the cowboys, we still need OL as our number 1 priority. but I'd definitley bring him back next year as a backup or starter at RT.
It's well documented we need OL help, I'm convinced management has come to that realization as well.

Levi Jones had a very good outing on Sunday, if he continues to play well for the remainder of the season, don't look for him to consider a back-up role with the Redskins next season. If he's over his injuries, he's a gifted athlete and will garner interest as a starter for some team.

Based on his post-game interview RT does not apear to be a preference for him. What happens with Samuels will go a long way in making a determination about the LT position.
Longtimefan is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 11-17-2009, 08:46 AM   #17
DBUCHANON101
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
I would say Denver's smallish defensive front had something to do with our success on Sunday. The knock on them all season is they can be pushed around. Let's see how we do against a much more physical defensive front in Dallas.
Dang Matty, now why did you have to go and do that? I almost started to have positive thoughts about this upcoming game with the girls.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:54 AM   #18
FRPLG
MVP

I think if Jones can play at that level then we can go into the draft next year only looking to get a guard and a tackle instead two tackles and a guard. Jones can probably play right tackle decently so a strong LT and RG ar needed. I also think we can find a suitable replacement in the FA for Rabach. A line of a top end LT pick, Dockery, decent FA C, 2nd/3rd RG and Jones would be infinitely better than what we have now if the two draft picks are any good at all. Keep Heyer for depth(uggg) and completely remake the depth too.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 09:58 AM   #19
freddyg12
Playmaker

Jones looks good, maybe the time off helped him heal from past injuries. He's not that old by O line standards, and if he can stay healthy could have several good years ahead of him. Hopefully he can be signed for reasonable $ & compete w/rookies for the starting LT job next year.

This week will be his biggest test of the year. Samuels could handle Ware for the most part but in the last couple years he'd usually give up one sack & a couple of qb hits to him. So if Ware beats him a couple times please don't anyone fly off the handle & say L. Jones is old & has got to go. Ware may be the best pass rusher in the nfl.

We'll know if he's doing a good job when they move Ware over to Heyer's side, which they do a lot to get the best matchup.
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 10:15 AM   #20
redskin37
Special Teams

Do we have Levi singed past this year?
redskin37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 10:21 AM   #21
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by redskin37 View Post
Do we have Levi singed past this year?
I searched and could not find it anywhere. He had a $16.3 million, 4 year contract from the Bengals, but they just terminated it when they cut him.

At this point, I would not think we would have signed him to a multi-year deal as he was just a band-aid at the time of signing. If he keeps up this level of play, I have no doubts that we'll extend him.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:28 AM   #22
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Jones is very adamant that he is a starting LT in this league. He sat out rather than sign anywhere that didn't guarantee him a starting LT position. I don't think he is going to settle next year for being less than a starting LT, especially if he turns our line around and does not get injured in the process.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 10:33 AM   #23
12thMan
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
Jones is very adamant that he is a starting LT in this league. He sat out rather than sign anywhere that didn't guarantee him a starting LT position. I don't think he is going to settle next year for being less than a starting LT, especially if he turns our line around and does not get injured in the process.

I agree. Even if he doesn't turn out to be a beast this year, if he stays healthy and our running game improves with him in the lineup, I would have to think he'd entertain offers elsewhere. Especially if the Skins don't give him a crack at starting.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 10:33 AM   #24
Bill B
Impact Rookie

I don't believe he is signed past this year. Anyway, Levi is only a short term option in my opinion - he'll be 31 next August and he has had some back injuries. Maybe you sign him for 2-3 years but I still say you go after the best available offensive tackle when we pick - good LT's rarely hit the free agent market and the ones that do are very expensive - plus according to this blog below the 2010 draft will have a lot of good prospects avilable. So we need to draft one in my opinion regardless if Levi keeps this up or not. If anything we can draft a tackle and boot Heyer out of here or at the very least down the depth chart and than in a year or two draft another tackle and let him take over when Levi leaves. I agree with picking up a center to replace Rabach and I would also like to use the 2nd rounder on a guard.

Is Jones the answer at LT? | Rich Tandler's Real Redskins

Quote:
According to one site that rates such things, six of the top 32 seniors are offensive tackles. This does not count any underclassmen who may come out. It’s kind of early to talk about any specific players since they’re only halfway through the season and we are a ways away from the combine, pro days, and the like. But, at this point in time it’s safe to say that there will be some quality tackles available in the 2010 draft.

Free agency is another option and even though next year is likely to be uncapped it’s a tough way to find your left tackle. Teams hold on to the good ones for dear life and the ones that do hit the market are expensive. Certainly, they have to take a good, hard look at this but it may be a better option to resign Jones for a year or two until the permanent solution can be found.

Finding the answer at this critical position will require a strong football mind. Since there are exactly none of those in decision-making positions in Ashburn right now, one can only hope that one will arrive there in January.
Bill B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 10:43 AM   #25
hail_2_da_skins
Impact Rookie

I was very impressed with the offensive line play. I want a repeat performance on Sunday. If Levi Jones continues to perform at this level, the Skins may have found their replacement for Chris Samuels. Offensive line is still a priority in the draft but this may allow the Skins to select the best player available with the first round pick and address the offensive line in the second or third round. The team has a lot of holes to fill and the best player available might be the best strategy.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:48 AM   #26
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
I agree. Even if he doesn't turn out to be a beast this year, if he stays healthy and our running game improves with him in the lineup, I would have to think he'd entertain offers elsewhere. Especially if the Skins don't give him a crack at starting.
I'd give him a crack at starting LT if we drafted a guy who could use a season or two of seasoning at RT before sliding over.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:58 AM   #27
DBUCHANON101
The Starter

Hopefully they can push the Dallas front around this weekend so betts can have a repeat performance. I believe our Dline can whip theirs, especially with their OT out with a broke leg.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:18 AM   #28
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

[QUOTE=CantonLegend;62650 its a shame the bengals didnt see what they had because he could be starting opposite andre smith this season and their offense would be even more dangerous[/QUOTE]

I think the Bengals saw what they got and didn't need him. They have 3 new starters on the OL (there's hope for us next year) and none of the starters is Andre Smith (their #1 draft pick). The OL for the Bengals attributes to their success this year. That could be us next year if we draft wisely on the OL and sign a FA or 2, maybe keep Jones.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth

Last edited by SFREDSKIN; 11-17-2009 at 11:50 AM.
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 11:37 AM   #29
over the mountain
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantonLegend View Post
Levi jones could be a pro bowler if injuries wouldnt have hampered his career thus far

he will be a great starting point for the construction of your O-line

its a shame the bengals didnt see what they had because he could be starting opposite andre smith this season and their offense would be even more dangerous
i didnt know smith has taken a snap yet. im not sure of this but i thought with his holdout then injury 5 seconds into his first practice, he hadnt played or started yet.

go skins!
Old 11-17-2009, 11:43 AM   #30
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by over the mountain View Post
i didnt know smith has taken a snap yet. im not sure of this but i thought with his holdout then injury 5 seconds into his first practice, he hadnt played or started yet.

go skins!
He hasn't yet. But it is Mike Sellers's fault so it's all good.