Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Other Sports

Good lord the Wizards have the worst luck.

Other Sports

Old 05-20-2009, 04:36 PM   #16
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Re: Good lord the Wizards have the worst luck.

It will be interesting to see how Rubio's buyout comes into play. Could it be another JC Navarro situation?

No one thrills me really in that 5 spot, some are saying Jordan Hill (PF-Arizona) or James Harden (SG-Arizona State), neither impresses me. We really need to trade this pick

Advertisements
Old 05-20-2009, 09:35 PM   #17
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
It will be interesting to see how Rubio's buyout comes into play. Could it be another JC Navarro situation?

No one thrills me really in that 5 spot, some are saying Jordan Hill (PF-Arizona) or James Harden (SG-Arizona State), neither impresses me. We really need to trade this pick
Fully agree. I saw James Harden in a few mock drafts, but we've already got Juan Dixon, Crittenden, and Nick Young.

We need a big veteran defensive force.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:10 PM   #18
FRPLG
MVP

We need not a generic X player which is all we'll get at 5. I think that is why I hate the lottery. In just about any draft there are maybe 3 impact guys and then a bunch of role type players of varying degree of quality. An awful team goes from being able to find a building block to getting yet another generic role/ok player.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 12:11 AM   #19
itvnetop
Playmaker

I actually like Harden a lot... saw him play throughout the Pac-10. Reminds me of a left-handed Brandon Roy. He just had a terrible tourney, but the dude is silky smooth... he can score, pass and his overall skill-set is polished.

I'm not sold on Hill at all and since the top PG and PF (our areas of need) are off the board, go for talent... why not draft another SG Trojan, DeRozan? I'm fairly certain the FO isn't sold on DS as the future 2... and Nick will need some competition. Harden is definitely a lot further along than DD, but DeRozan has more upside... which isn't what the Wiz are looking for at this point (all points to a trade for immediate vet help).

Whatever we do, let someone else draft Thabeet. We already have defensive centers in Wood and McGee, so he'd be redundant. Our main areas of need: pass-first PG and defensive PF... if we can't fill those with relative talent to the 5th pick (meaning, not reaching for a Blair, Curry or Lawson), get our next need- a SG (if Gil's going to stay at the 1).
itvnetop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 07:37 AM   #20
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
Fully agree. I saw James Harden in a few mock drafts, but we've already got Juan Dixon, Crittenden, and Nick Young.

We need a big veteran defensive force.
Well, as itvnetop points out, Harden is pretty solid. And if we can get another Roy...wow! But I'm not totally convinced Harden is there yet, for one thing he really struggles going right and his midrange game could use some work. Either way, he's already better than Dixon. I don't think the Zards will rush to bring Dixon back. I want Crittenden to focus 100% on being a point guard, and I am not impressed at all with Nick Young. I'd send him packing along with the #5 for a vet.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:01 PM   #21
jsarno
Franchise Player

Saw a mock draft, they have you getting Thabeet...great pick IMO. You need him for defense.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:03 PM   #22
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

James Harden seems like a better choice considering he has more potential along with a higher floor then the big men available at this spot. Sucks for the Wizards though as it seems like they'll never be able to get a suitable big man to compliment their scorers. Though I do like the notion that Harden is a less athletic Brandon Roy as they will be sitting pretty if they can get anyone even close to Roy's talent level. Hill might be a good choice to, but he might not last till 5.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG

Last edited by Dirtbag59; 05-21-2009 at 08:11 PM.
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:58 PM   #23
Zerohero
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
Oh yeah...we would be example #1 for not having the lottery! However, we turned our misfortune into gold by getting Garnett and Allen and stuffed it to the NBA.
The lottery is one of the dumbest things I have ever seen. The worst team should get the #1 pick, no questions asked! Meaning that the Wiz should have got pick #2.

So hypothetically speaking, we all know the Clippers are going to take Griffin, who would you want with the #2 pick if you had it?
So you have no problem with teams tanking it?

I think you dont see this problem with football because one rookie normally isn't gamebreaking with a 53 man roster. In basketball one player can really make a difference.
Zerohero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 01:17 PM   #24
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerohero View Post
So you have no problem with teams tanking it?

I think you dont see this problem with football because one rookie normally isn't gamebreaking with a 53 man roster. In basketball one player can really make a difference.
No, I don't care if teams tank it. They already suck, so tanking 5 games or so means squat. If the commish thinks they truely tanked it, then fine the team for doing so, but don't hurt the teams that actually NEED that pick. The lottery doesn't help the teams that the draft is designed to help with. The problem is these teams that suck need a great player to lead them, the problem is NOT teams tanking games. The focus needs to be redirected.
Old 05-22-2009, 03:16 PM   #25
an23dy
Special Teams

If you look at the probabilities our odds were not that bad. It was about 50-50 whether we would get a top 3 pick. The Kings had even worse luck than us. And you never know about any of those top picks. You never know how players will turn out. Last time we took Devin Harris when we had the 5th pick, didn't keep him, but he's an all-star now.
an23dy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 07:21 PM   #26
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by an23dy View Post
If you look at the probabilities our odds were not that bad. It was about 50-50 whether we would get a top 3 pick. The Kings had even worse luck than us. And you never know about any of those top picks. You never know how players will turn out. Last time we took Devin Harris when we had the 5th pick, didn't keep him, but he's an all-star now.
Well, if you're talking about the first pick, 22 picks were all stars from 79-04. Only 4 weren't all stars. (pervis ellison, joe smith, michael olowokandi, and kwami brown...although 96-97 Smith was snubbed when he averaged 18.7 points, and 8.5 rebounds a game, and pervis ellison was snubbed in 91-92 when he averaged 20.0ppg, and 11.2 rpg!...which makes Olowokandi and Brown the worst picks in the past 3 decades...funny how one was from the dysfunctional clippers, and the other from the wizards led by Jordan.)
The last 4 years, none have made it...YET.
08- Derrick Rose (certainly will make the all star some day)
07- Greg Oden (will make the all star team some day as well)
06- Andrea Bargnani (had a break through this year, also logged the most minutes in his career...scored over 15 points per game...might make it some day if he continues to progress)
05- Andrew Bogut (had over 10 rebounds per game, but might have seen his most productive season. If he can add 5 more ppg, he'll be an all star)

Also, so far 13 1st picks are hall of famers, and at least 7 more will be, which totals 20.
So I'd have to say the first pick is of utmost importance. I understand you wouldn't have had the first pick if there was no lottery...just pointing out that you do know how a player will turn out if it's the first pick most of the time.

Last edited by jsarno; 05-22-2009 at 07:27 PM.
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 09:11 PM   #27
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Latest rumor has them talking with the Thunder about moving up for Rubio. But OKC wants the 5 and Magee. I don't like that deal
Old 05-22-2009, 11:17 PM   #28
FRPLG
MVP

I thought Rubio only wanted to play for certain teams?
Old 05-22-2009, 11:18 PM   #29
FRPLG
MVP

And no I don't like the idea of moving Magee. He has some good upside and the last thing they need to do is ship out inside talent.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:44 PM   #30
itvnetop
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Latest rumor has them talking with the Thunder about moving up for Rubio. But OKC wants the 5 and Magee. I don't like that deal
I don't either... McGee's a keeper. The other rumor was trading up for either Rubio or Thabeet... I wouldn't even trade McGee for Thabeet straight up, much less throw in the 5.
itvnetop is offline   Reply With Quote