taxes and health care

Parking Lot

Old 03-16-2009, 11:58 AM   #16
FRPLG
MVP

Re: taxes and health care

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Angioplasties to clear a blocked artery. Pacemaker implants to regulate an irregular heartbeat. Gastric Bypass and Lapband surgeries for obesity. And many many more.

Some HMOs out there deny coverage for some of these types of procedures. Which is semi-retarded because many of them prevent more costly treatment down the road.
Is the theory that most employees won't be working for a company and won't have that same insurance when the repurcussions come to pass? So insurers don't want to pay for preventative measures that some other insurance company will enjoy someday? Or are they simply obtuse?
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-16-2009, 11:58 AM   #17
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Quote:
Which is semi-retarded because many of them prevent more costly treatment down the road.
Kinda when my dental insurance wouldn't pay for some sort of sealant for my teeth that prevents damage down the road. My parents paid out of pocket, I'm 25 and still never had a cavity.

Schneed, how do other countries make the healthcare work. I know many people look up the the way France has set up their health care, they have private practices setup, but the state reimburses 85% of the bill.

I just think it's sad that people have to choose between feeding their kids and getting healthy in many situations.

A word of advice to any uninsured that need to have a procedure done. Send the hospital a letter saying you have intentions to pay but currently can't and setup a payment schedule. It won't destroy your credit, and you might get a kind person like I did. A local hospital wiped out my medical bills from a procedure I had done -- mainly because I was proactive and willing to work with them. This is the type of act that won't go unnoticed. The second I have any money I want to donate, that hospital is the first place I'm going.
Old 03-16-2009, 12:32 PM   #18
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

It's obviously not a real big secret, if you add something that is not currently funded.......it must be paid for. If we are not going to save somewhere else to accomodate the new expense........> taxes.

Last edited by Hog1; 03-16-2009 at 12:40 PM.
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 12:39 PM   #19
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal View Post
Kinda when my dental insurance wouldn't pay for some sort of sealant for my teeth that prevents damage down the road. My parents paid out of pocket, I'm 25 and still never had a cavity.

Schneed, how do other countries make the healthcare work. I know many people look up the the way France has set up their health care, they have private practices setup, but the state reimburses 85% of the bill.

I just think it's sad that people have to choose between feeding their kids and getting healthy in many situations.

A word of advice to any uninsured that need to have a procedure done. Send the hospital a letter saying you have intentions to pay but currently can't and setup a payment schedule. It won't destroy your credit, and you might get a kind person like I did. A local hospital wiped out my medical bills from a procedure I had done -- mainly because I was proactive and willing to work with them. This is the type of act that won't go unnoticed. The second I have any money I want to donate, that hospital is the first place I'm going.
Well the number of uninsured is actually not a true number in people who cannot afford coverage. You have young people who feel they do not need coverage. You have peeple who can afford coverage but choose not to carry health insurance. Also in that number are people who are between jobs and choose not to pay for their health insurance but they are uninsured for a short period of time. I've read that the true noumber of people who need insurance but cannot afford the coverage is about half. So now we want to totaly alow goverment to control our health ins. for a small % of people. While 20 million seems high in the actual number of people here in theUS it very small. Why not find a way to get them covered then to allow congress to ruin what we have. I also find it strange that congress has an approval rating of less then 20% and people are so willing to alow them to control something as important as health ins. and about 7 to 8% of our enconomy.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 12:53 PM   #20
firstdown
Living Legend

I saw someone mentioned Japans health insurance but this article does not paint much of a pretty picture.
Health care in Japan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 03-16-2009, 01:12 PM   #21
Hog1

The problem with trying to compare other countries....anything to our own is the incompatibilty that may exist. We probably do not have much in common with the Japanese. This country is still largely European, and naturally more easily compared to the Euro countries (some anyway)
Old 03-16-2009, 01:54 PM   #22
dmek25
MVP

i was under the impression that universal health care meant that employers would no longer carry insurance for the work force. the government would supply health care to everyone. i am more in favor of something like this, then the working mass pay for the uninsured
Old 03-16-2009, 02:00 PM   #23
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmek25 View Post
i was under the impression that universal health care meant that employers would no longer carry insurance for the work force. the government would supply health care to everyone. i am more in favor of something like this, then the working mass pay for the uninsured
OK, well how do you imagine the government being able to afford to provide care for everyone?
Old 03-16-2009, 02:04 PM   #24
Hog1

>>>>Tx's
Old 03-16-2009, 02:11 PM   #25
dmek25
MVP

taxes, just like everything else
Old 03-16-2009, 02:59 PM   #26
saden1
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog1 View Post
The problem with trying to compare other countries....anything to our own is the incompatibilty that may exist. We probably do not have much in common with the Japanese. This country is still largely European, and naturally more easily compared to the Euro countries (some anyway)
I'm not sure what you're getting at here...healthcare is an economical matter not a cultural matter. Plus good ideas transcend culture.

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 03:00 PM   #27
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
OK. Even tax on everyone? A tax amounting to practically nothing on the poor but tons on the rich? Or mostly tax increases to corporations?
Old 03-16-2009, 03:03 PM   #28
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
OK name any major goverment program that runs well, cost efficient, or has not not grown way out of wack.
Old 03-16-2009, 03:19 PM   #29
70Chip
Playmaker

Is it just me or is any health care system, anywhere based on the assumption that a majority of people will get less than what they pay for in any given time frame so that a minority can get vastly more than they pay for? In other words if every person in great Britain availed themselves of even the minimum level of care, the system would be completely overwhelmed. Isn't that so? And isn't it also true, that having the government run the system does nothing to alter this fundamental flaw?
Old 03-16-2009, 03:21 PM   #30
70Chip
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal View Post

I bet your parents have the rust proof undercoating on their car as well.