Schweigert released...

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 08-04-2008, 09:34 PM   #16
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Re: Schweigert released...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnseven View Post
Wow. Stuart Schweigert must have made quite an impression in the game film from last night. Apparently, he was badly out of position on one of the Colt touchdowns. Surprising for a guy with 42 starts.

Redskins Insider
I guess better to just cut bait now, but still that's a bit surprising. My "surprise" pick from April of Horton backing up Landry/Doughty at Safety once the regular season rolls around is looking more possible.

Matt Sinclair was pretty solid last night, solid enough I guess for Verdun-Wheeler to get cut. Still, why not hold onto as many LBs as possible during camp? I think they're pretty happy with Fincher as well though

Advertisements
Old 08-04-2008, 09:40 PM   #17
Beemnseven
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I guess better to just cut bait now, but still that's a bit surprising. My "surprise" pick from April of Horton backing up Landry/Doughty at Safety once the regular season rolls around is looking more possible.

Matt Sinclair was pretty solid last night, solid enough I guess for Verdun-Wheeler to get cut. Still, why not hold onto as many LBs as possible during camp? I think they're pretty happy with Fincher as well though
Okay, tell me if I'm way off base with this, but...

They had Horton line up for two safety blitzes last night. Since the preseason games are auditions for rookies, do you think it's possible somebody on the coaching staff really likes Horton and put him in a special position to make a name for himself? Or are they simply experimenting with safety blitzes and somebody else will have a couple of cracks at the QB next week?
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 09:44 PM   #18
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:

They had Horton line up for two safety blitzes last night. Since the preseason games are auditions for rookies, do you think it's possible somebody on the coaching staff really likes Horton and put him in a special position to make a name for himself? Or are they simply experimenting with safety blitzes and somebody else will have a couple of cracks at the QB next week?
I don't think it has much to do with Horton really. I think they are both experimenting and putting rookies/young players in positiion to make plays to see if they actually will.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:44 PM   #19
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:

He could have easily missed the QB on those two blitzes...plus he really had to work to get down that lineman the Colts had playing at QB. So possibly, but in the end Horton had to make those plays, and he had an impact in both (a sack, and a QB hurry)
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 09:48 PM   #20
SeanTaylor21SKINS
Camp Scrub

I'm Glad He's Gone.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:00 PM   #21
DIRTEE
Special Teams

I bet Vernon Fox is happy. I was cheering for SS; so sad. At least he'll have an opportunity to latch onto another team.
DIRTEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 10:38 PM   #22
RMSkins
The Starter

Wow! I never saw this coming. Schweigert looked really bad last night, but I can't help but think that we jumped the gun alittle bit on this one. It's not like we replaced Schweigert with someone better, we replaced him with Patrick Ghee, a guy we cut earlier this season. If this means that Horton and Moore are impressing and are going to make the team than I am all for it, but if not it's strange that we would release a vet at a position that we have very little depth at. I can't help but to think that there was something going on behind the scenes with Schweigert that they aren't letting get out.
RMSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 10:57 PM   #23
GhettoDogAllStars
Playmaker

Relax with the conspiracy theories -- it's just Stewart Schweigert.

I'd say there is nothing going on behind the scenes, which is exactly why Schweigert was cut -- he stunk last night, and he's probably stunk in practice too. So, the coaches cut him.
Old 08-05-2008, 12:59 AM   #24
12thMan
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhettoDogAllStars View Post
Relax with the conspiracy theories -- it's just Stewart Schweigert.

I'd say there is nothing going on behind the scenes, which is exactly why Schweigert was cut -- he stunk last night, and he's probably stunk in practice too. So, the coaches cut him.

You said it. It wasn't like we cut Chris Samuels or someone. The guy was..well, another safety who happened to be competing with a very hungry kid named Horton. Horton makes this team.

Let me throw this out there right now. This year is possibly Blache's last season. I wonder if Dwayne Walker will leave UCLA and come back to the Skins as the new D Coordinator. Just a thought.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 02:19 AM   #25
steveo395
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
You said it. It wasn't like we cut Chris Samuels or someone. The guy was..well, another safety who happened to be competing with a very hungry kid named Horton. Horton makes this team.

Let me throw this out there right now. This year is possibly Blache's last season. I wonder if Dwayne Walker will leave UCLA and come back to the Skins as the new D Coordinator. Just a thought.
Or Jerry Gray could get promoted

steveo395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 02:59 AM   #26
Luxorreb
^21^

Lynch a Redskin Tuesday?
Old 08-05-2008, 03:57 AM   #27
That Guy
Living Legend

not totally surprising, but i guess you have to be happy that they think enough of the young depth to not need him.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 03:58 AM   #28
That Guy
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post

i don't think he'd come back for a DC gig. he's happy with where he's at.

a GREAT coach though, no doubt.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 05:06 AM   #29
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMSkins View Post
It's not like we replaced Schweigert with someone better, we replaced him with Patrick Ghee.
I hear Ghee plays 'like butter'.

This is actually hilarious if you like ethnic food, seriously.
RedskinRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 05:47 AM   #30
itvnetop
Playmaker

Trust me guys... cutting Schweigert now was smart... I was scared when I saw we signed him... saw him getting burned way too many times in Oakland.
itvnetop is offline   Reply With Quote