Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

John Lynch is available, should we make a move?

Locker Room Main Forum

Closed Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 10:58 PM   #16
djnemo65
Playmaker

Re: John Lynch is available, should we make a move?

I think when we signed Schweigert, for better or worse, we made our bed in regards to the safety position. While the SS spot is maybe not a position of strength for us, I don't see Lynch as constituting an improvement over what we already have.

Advertisements
Old 07-30-2008, 11:03 PM   #17
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Almost forgot to include the Chris Cooley quote on my BOY Reed.

Quote:
2. Last year I explained how Rocky McIntosh would be a beast. Who do I think will have a break out season for the Redskins? Of course being around the team year round I see a lot of things that no one else does. Down to the details of who works the hardest in the weight room. That said, it can still be a guess to who has a breakout year. Laron Landry will have a great season for us in his second year, but I think everyone expects that. The player that will surprise a lot of people is Reed Doughty. He is extremely smart as well as a very hard working player.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Old 07-30-2008, 11:15 PM   #18
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsowilso View Post
I wonder how many times we are going to have to go through this as the mass of aging veterans start getting released during the pre-season?

Let's try and follow some simple guidelines.

1. If the player is old as dirt don't bother.
2. If the player is washed up don't bother.
3. If the player doesn't address and area of need like LB don't bother.
I think I just found my new sig. I love these guidelines lol.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:18 PM   #19
MTK
\m/

Definitely not.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:44 AM   #20
That Guy
Living Legend

reed's good enough with upside that lynch makes downside makes less than zero sense.

sorry, i'd rather have sean too, but doughty's good enough (and no, i don't think he'll be amazing, but i loved him before the draft and called his pick and that was based solely on college production - smaller school, but he racked up crazy tackle numbers... kinda like how cooley - at a smaller school, had 1260 yards receiving (as a b-back (pass catching fullback)).
Old 07-31-2008, 12:56 AM   #21
The Goat
Pro Bowl

No to Lynch. Dude is 37! WTF! We're set at safety for rest of season. We've got a SS starter in Reed - he is worthy of starting; we've got a FS starter in Schweigart; and we'ver got a SS/FS starter in LL. We're set.
Old 07-31-2008, 01:06 AM   #22
RMSkins
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag359 View Post
Ok, now that I got that out of my system it's time to argue. The stigma that Reed Doughty is not a starter in this league is killing me and the view that we need to replace him after he proved himself to the point of earning a starting job this year is obsurd.

Now before I get further into this argument let me say that I think the anxiousness to replace Doughty with a bigger name is based, for a good amount of people, on lossing a player like Sean Taylor. I think people got use to the idea of having two big name safetys and they want that back. Thats why every available safety that pops up gets a strong push from "lobbyist" here on the Warpath. Other people just want the Redskins to have better Madden players so they can use them when the game comes out.

With that said, the last time we ignored a productive player on our roster in favor of a big name we signed Adam Archuletta and let Ryan Clark go to the Steelers. Afterwards people were begging for Ryan Clark to come back in the months leading up to the draft.

I don't know the KC Joyner metrics on how Reed played last year but we do have numbers such as tackles and such that we can match up with endorsements from the coaching staff. First of all his performance at SS when he started looks identical in terms of numbers when compared to Landry's time at SS and as I have stated before, if Doughty is as good as a rookie (first 8 or so games) Laron Landry then awesome.

On top of that Doughty was cited by Cooley as the hardest working player this offseason and by Cooleys own admission he see's Doughty having a breakout year. Now does this mean it will happen, not necessarily (see JP Losman), but SS is a lot easier to play then QB and Doughty performed well at SS last year. If someone can prove otherwise please let me know as I only have numbers, endorsements, and overall defensive performance to go on at this point so if someone has anything else to counter this then let me know.

However everyone's favorite new Redskin Stuart Schwiegert has yet to convince Blache that a Landry-Schweigert combo is better then a Landry-Doughty combo. And untill we see otherwise I am going to continue to endorse Doughty as the starting SS for 2008. He's at least earned that.
Since when did we start handing out starting jobs here in Washington based on a mediocre 8 starts from the season before? For you to say that Doughty "earned" the starting SS spot based solely on his mediocre 8 starts from last season and because Chris Cooley is hyping him absolutely blows my mind. Seriously, am I missing something here with Doughty that you're comapring him to LaRon Landry just based on tackles? Sure, he has a nice story: A hard working, over-achieving, I-AA kid who got a chance to play because of a tragedy. I can absolutely see why a lot of people like Doughty: he's a good guy, he's easy to root for, and he's someone who everyone wants to see succeed, but to me he's nothing more than a run stopping safety/special teams ace in this leauge. And no I am not looking for a "big name" player to replace Doughty. I fully expect Chris Horton or Kareem Moore to replace him somewhere in the near future. If Reed does well this year, as the starting SS for us, I will be the first person to admit that I was wrong about him, but unfortunately I have some serious reservations about Doughty being our starting SS this year.
Old 07-31-2008, 01:20 AM   #23
Skinny Tee
The Starter

The guy is dirty as S. Ever since he lost a step 3 to 4 years ago he has been spearing guys to still be considered an intimidating hitter in the secondary.

He's not. He's a cheap shot artist who can only intimidate with head down tackles. He's a dumbass who'll get paralyzed if he doesn't watch himself.

Put this guy out to pasture already before he hurts himself.
Old 07-31-2008, 02:09 AM   #24
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Another reason for wanting the regular season to start, so we don't have anymore "Should we get...." threads about old (and sometimes washed out) veterans. Lynch is going to retire and go into broadcasting, I doubt any team would pick him up. I wonder if he'll sign a one-day contract with Tampa to retire as a Buc.
R.I.P. #21
Old 07-31-2008, 03:57 AM   #25
Dantheskinsfan
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag359 View Post
Ok, now that I got that out of my system it's time to argue. The stigma that Reed Doughty is not a starter in this league is killing me and the view that we need to replace him after he proved himself to the point of earning a starting job this year is obsurd.

Now before I get further into this argument let me say that I think the anxiousness to replace Doughty with a bigger name is based, for a good amount of people, on lossing a player like Sean Taylor. I think people got use to the idea of having two big name safetys and they want that back. Thats why every available safety that pops up gets a strong push from "lobbyist" here on the Warpath. Other people just want the Redskins to have better Madden players so they can use them when the game comes out.

With that said, the last time we ignored a productive player on our roster in favor of a big name we signed Adam Archuletta and let Ryan Clark go to the Steelers. Afterwards people were begging for Ryan Clark to come back in the months leading up to the draft.

I don't know the KC Joyner metrics on how Reed played last year but we do have numbers such as tackles and such that we can match up with endorsements from the coaching staff. First of all his performance at SS when he started looks identical in terms of numbers when compared to Landry's time at SS and as I have stated before, if Doughty is as good as a rookie (first 8 or so games) Laron Landry then awesome.

On top of that Doughty was cited by Cooley as the hardest working player this offseason and by Cooleys own admission he see's Doughty having a breakout year. Now does this mean it will happen, not necessarily (see JP Losman), but SS is a lot easier to play then QB and Doughty performed well at SS last year. If someone can prove otherwise please let me know as I only have numbers, endorsements, and overall defensive performance to go on at this point so if someone has anything else to counter this then let me know.

However everyone's favorite new Redskin Stuart Schwiegert has yet to convince Blache that a Landry-Schweigert combo is better then a Landry-Doughty combo. And untill we see otherwise I am going to continue to endorse Doughty as the starting SS for 2008. He's at least earned that.
he went to the the giants, not the steelers

but agreed on the point, no more washed up big names
Old 07-31-2008, 06:27 AM   #26
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantheskinsfan View Post
he went to the the giants, not the steelers

but agreed on the point, no more washed up big names
Are you talking about Ryan Clark? He went to the Steelers
Old 07-31-2008, 07:22 AM   #27
KLHJ2
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMSkins View Post
Since when did we start handing out starting jobs here in Washington based on a mediocre 8 starts from the season before? For you to say that Doughty "earned" the starting SS spot based solely on his mediocre 8 starts from last season and because Chris Cooley is hyping him absolutely blows my mind. Seriously, am I missing something here with Doughty that you're comapring him to LaRon Landry just based on tackles? Sure, he has a nice story: A hard working, over-achieving, I-AA kid who got a chance to play because of a tragedy. I can absolutely see why a lot of people like Doughty: he's a good guy, he's easy to root for, and he's someone who everyone wants to see succeed, but to me he's nothing more than a run stopping safety/special teams ace in this leauge. And no I am not looking for a "big name" player to replace Doughty. I fully expect Chris Horton or Kareem Moore to replace him somewhere in the near future. If Reed does well this year, as the starting SS for us, I will be the first person to admit that I was wrong about him, but unfortunately I have some serious reservations about Doughty being our starting SS this year.
Start performing you mouth exercises. The coaching staff took notice of him before this offseason and before the Taylor tragedy. He was going to earn a position somewhere if not here. Because of the tragedy he got a starting gig here.

Food for thought. What round was Doughty drafted in? What rounds were Horton and Moore drafted in? If you answered 6, 7 and 6 then you would be correct. If you had a need to replace a 6th round safety, then why in the world would you wait until the 6th ad 7th round to find someone to eventually replace him?(don't answer that, it's rhetorical) If we needed someone to subplant Doughty, then they would have drafted a Safety earlier in the Draft. Furthermore, what is the purpose of drafting players in the 6th and 7th rounds?(more rhetoric) Depth.

Doughty did his damn job last season. Nothing more and nothing less. He made tackles when he was supposed to make tackles and defended passes when he needed to defend passes. People often get so star struck that they believe that they need a pro Bowl roster from top to bottom to win anything; sometimes they just need dedicated Football players who do their damn job. Doughty is dedicated and he does his damn job.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:03 AM   #28
redskinsfanatic

he ain't exactly some wet noodle,he's made the pro bowl his last 4 years in denver.give him a tryout and see what or if he still wants to play.he would be a great teacher on and
off the field.after losing ST the way everybody did,maybe he an help them more than we ever know.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:24 AM   #29
jdlea
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by redskinsfanatic View Post
he ain't exactly some wet noodle,he's made the pro bowl his last 4 years in denver.give him a tryout and see what or if he still wants to play.he would be a great teacher on and
off the field.after losing ST the way everybody did,maybe he an help them more than we ever know.
Roy Williams continues to make Pro Bowls on reputation too. We all know that he's one of the weakest players in the league at his position. (Or perhaps it's just magnified because he's such a high profile player) John Lynch hasn't been the same guy he was in Tampa for a long time, I feel like the Skins could put him to good use, but he'd be a waste. You need to let guys learn how to play, now should Doughty fall on his face, we might be wishing that we had made him an offer, but I just don't see that happening.

If Reed Doughty were going to have a letdown I feel like it would have happened last season. It would have been easy enough to have him wash out when trying to replace a guy that he looked as a mentor. (When Sean was killed he said that Sean reached out to him and tried to help him and it meant the world to Reed) He could have easily showed that he didn't have what it took, but he came and did his job. He may not be some playmaking, big hitting, spectacular football player, but he's where he's supposed to be on the field and he's going to make the plays he's supposed to make. That's all that we really need at SS because Laron can be the playmaker at free. All in all, if he turns into another Ryan Clark, I'll be more than happy with Reed Doughty.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:27 AM   #30
rypper11
The Starter

I am a huge fan of RD and think that he will be in the league (hopefully a Skin) for the next decade. However, Vernon Fox is our only safety with any real experience (getting torched while with the Raiders doesn't give SS much credibility as a vet) so I think a one and done from Lynch would be beneficial. I am concerned about a starting safety tandem with a combined 24 starts. I am not a big name chaser and am more than happy that we avoided a "big name" WR or Kearse or some of the other "solutions" offered in the offseason. I would like to see an old but solid SS and/or LB signed when the cuts start and both more for their mentoring.