Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Reed Doughty

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 04-11-2008, 10:02 AM   #16
MTK
\m/

Re: Reed Doughty

Reed definitely deserves the chance to compete for a starting job. Finding another safety in the draft would be pretty low on my list of priorities. Maybe a 2nd day pick.

Advertisements
Old 04-11-2008, 10:09 AM   #17
Stuck in TX
Impact Rookie

I love Doughty, however, he lacks the speed needed in our current defensive backfield. He has what it takes to play safety as long as we get him some speed to keep up with burner receivers. He has angle, can hit, and is phenomenal on special teams. He is an asset but if we dont get some younger, faster CBs, we are going to need a quicker safety.

REMEMBER VT
Go Hokies
Stuck in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 10:17 AM   #18
SouperMeister
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuck in TX View Post
I love Doughty, however, he lacks the speed needed in our current defensive backfield. He has what it takes to play safety as long as we get him some speed to keep up with burner receivers. He has angle, can hit, and is phenomenal on special teams. He is an asset but if we dont get some younger, faster CBs, we are going to need a quicker safety.
I don't see Doughty having to cover burners as much if he's the starting SS. His first assignment should be the TE, or possibly the slot WR in 3 WR sets.
SouperMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 10:39 AM   #19
Stuck in TX
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouperMeister View Post
I don't see Doughty having to cover burners as much if he's the starting SS. His first assignment should be the TE, or possibly the slot WR in 3 WR sets.
as long as hes doing that, he will be great for us and I think we need to get a second day SS in the draft for depth.

REMEMBER VT
Go Hokies
Stuck in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 11:12 AM   #20
FRPLG
MVP

We have to remember we are not replacing Taylor with anybody. We're not going to get another player like him. Landry will do what he did to some extent but we can't expect to have two stud safeties back there like we did. The question is whether Doughty can be a productive safety for us and he showed last year that he probably can. He is not going to be Taylor but he can do the job and no one we bring in is going to do all that much better probably.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 12:47 PM   #21
freddyg12
Playmaker

JLC has reported a few times that vinney et al have identified safety as a position of need, and it certianly is given what happened last year & that Prioleau might sign elsewhere, not to mention stoutmire.

That doesn't mean saftey is a HIGH priority but if Phillips is there in the 2nd that's a relative bargain & I think they'll have a tough time not taking him. He had an off sr. year but is talented & has a good head/attitude.

That said, I'd love to see Doughty retain the starting spot w/a young speedster taking over on passing downs. Remember how GW had a bunch of safeties on the roster at times? I think his approach was to find the best players available for his nickel & dime packages, if that meant more safeties fine, if that meant more corners fine. Whichever is most effective. Will Blache take that approach or will he prefer to load up on one position to fill those packages?
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 12:56 PM   #22
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddyg12 View Post
JLC has reported a few times that vinney et al have identified safety as a position of need, and it certianly is given what happened last year & that Prioleau might sign elsewhere, not to mention stoutmire.

That doesn't mean saftey is a HIGH priority but if Phillips is there in the 2nd that's a relative bargain & I think they'll have a tough time not taking him. He had an off sr. year but is talented & has a good head/attitude.

That said, I'd love to see Doughty retain the starting spot w/a young speedster taking over on passing downs. Remember how GW had a bunch of safeties on the roster at times? I think his approach was to find the best players available for his nickel & dime packages, if that meant more safeties fine, if that meant more corners fine. Whichever is most effective. Will Blache take that approach or will he prefer to load up on one position to fill those packages?

Well I know that as of about 6 weeks ago they had interest in the middle rounds for Jamar Adams.

Also, I wonder the latest is on Prioleau
Old 04-11-2008, 01:02 PM   #23
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

What about Johnathan Heffney? He is a pretty good safety from Tennessee. Fast and a good tackler.

Shameless self-promotion. It is what it is.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 01:34 PM   #24
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Reed Doughty is the second coming of Mark Murphy.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 03:44 PM   #25
freddyg12
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Well I know that as of about 6 weeks ago they had interest in the middle rounds for Jamar Adams.

Also, I wonder the latest is on Prioleau
that sounds like a good idea to me, a mid round pick for a depth guy that can play coverage ok & special teams.

I would guess that Prioleau would only be offered vet min. or little more. I'd like to see him here, but they do need to get younger & if they draft somebody he (PP) might not make the team anyway.
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 03:49 PM   #26
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Charlie Casserly mentioned last night that the late round safetys that know how to use their instincts to maxamize their effectiveness are becoming a valuable commodity in this league. In other words he indirectly praised Reed. I'd say give him a chance and use a 5th or 6th round pick on App. States Corey Lynch. This isn't like Mix where we have no idea what we're getting the guy started more then a few games.

I almost forgot that someone after the season compared Landry and Doughty's stats when each of them started SS, and the numbers with remarkably similar. In other words the numbers suggested that Reed plays strong safety as well as a rookie Laron Landry, and in all honesty thats more then enough for me. Let this guy start in 2008 and if he faulters use next years safety class to add a potential impact player. It's safe to assume that given how shallow this years safety class is, that next years class will be a lot deeper, and both Florida State and Missouri both have big and fast safetys that are currently poised to be first round picks in April 09.

Remember the last time we tried to add an impact safety when we had a solid starter was when we signed Adam Archuleta. And after that we had people wishing for the good old days of Clark and Taylor. Lets not make the same mistake again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Well I think that Landry is our FS isn't he? I just hope that we don't draft Kenny Phillips. For one thing, it's sort of creepy. And for another I think he's an overrated U player (much like I think Calais Campbell is starting to become really undderrated)
At the same time if we end up looking for a backup safety then I think it would have to be a guy that has experience as a FS. Mainly because if Reed goes down Landry can play SS, but if Landry goes down then we'll have a hard time switching Reed to play FS.

In other words

SS - Reed Doughty/ Laron Landry
FS - Laron Landry/ Rookie FS

In the meantime I'll have to look into weather or not Corey Lynch or Jamar Adams can play FS. I'm pretty sure though that Marcus Griffin played FS at Texas, and apparently Vinny Cerato is good friends with Texas Head Coach Mack Brown.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 04:20 PM   #27
RMSkins
The Starter

Obviously I am in the minority here but I just don't think Reed is a starting caliber NFL safety. I think Reed is a more than adequate backup safety, and great special teams player for us, but nothing more. I like Reed a lot and I hope that he proves my wrong but I just don't trust him back there.
RMSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 04:56 PM   #28
v3n0m
Camp Scrub

Even though he is good, I believe its a little too early for him; he still needs to grow a little more.
v3n0m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 05:26 PM   #29
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

I'm actually kind of upset with the fanbase in general as it relates to Reed. If anything this is another case of Madden syndrome where unless a player is a potential 90 overall no one wants to give him a chance.

On top of that the people that say "get another safety, get another safety" also seem to be the ones saying Mix is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Also keep in mind the cries for get another safety in my quote refers to the desire to use a 1st round pick on Kenny Phillips, which I wouldn't totally be opposed to but at the same time we have other needs that we've choosen to wait until the draft address.

Reed played well last year, and the report from the real insider, Cooley, says that he should be poised for an even better year in 2008. Right now I'd say that he has enough experience to be confident and enough motivation to be the teams hardest worker this offseason. Give him a chance and if he messes up then use the deeper safety class from next years draft to find another safety.

In the end anyone that supports Mix, by nature of not wanting to be a hypocrite, should be at least equally if not more supportive of Reed.

With that said, I'd say that we definately need to look at adding a safety like Adams or Lynch in the 5th or 6th for depth. Hopefully if we trade down we can get an extra 5th round pick and leave the fifth with a DE and a FS.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 06:37 PM   #30
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Another one might be that guy from LSU. Steltz?