Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Negative media coverage of the Redskins

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 08-05-2004, 01:44 PM   #16
Redskins_P
Fight for old DC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergman14
this is rediculous, maybe he pasquerelli does not have a bias against the redskins, maybe he actually puts up valid points, and we are the ones being biased.
More importantly though, nobody seems to be talking about his point on Sean Taylor. He said Andre Lott would start at safety.. Andre Lott? He also said iffy is buried on the third unit. What is going on? Taylor was in camp on time and in my mind there is no reason he should not start.

How can someone predict the starting lineup when we haven't even completed our first week of training camp, and we haven't even played a single preseason game? I like the fact that Taylor has to earn his stripes(he said it himself). Just like Ramsey has to earn his (I thought he did that last year, but in Gibbs we trust) and McCants, Jacobs, and Thrash have to earn theirs. Competition will only make them better. Anyone else agree??
Redskins_P is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-05-2004, 01:50 PM   #17
MTK
\m/

I would guess that Williams favors Lott over Ohalete because of his coverage skills. Iffy is solid against the run but suspect in coverage.

Lott was a bit of a project when we drafted him, it's nice to see he's developed.
Old 08-05-2004, 06:37 PM   #18
sportscurmudgeon
Playmaker

Reality check time.

Let's see. If ESPN.com writes a glowing piece on the Redskins saying they are the odds on favorites to win the Super Bowl because Joe Gibbs is back and all the other coaches in the league are so afraid of him they are going to soil themselves, then the author and ESPN.com are geniuses? How juvenile would that be?

Look folks, the Skins have been downright awful for the last four years. They won the same number of games as the Jacksonville F-ing Jaguars last year. Take a breath and go back and read that last sentence again. All the huffing and puffing and righteous indignation in the world does not change that! If you are a Redskin fan, you should be angry about what your team has done on the field and not angry at people who report it.

Lots of folks can share the blame for the fact that the Skins have stunk. Players underachieved; coaches were less than brilliant. AND the owner and his front office minions have done a bunch of things that turned out to be moronic even though they were touted as "cutting edge brilliance" by those folks.

You guys are shooting the messenger; he is only recounting history. Example: Last year on this very board lots of folks were afraid that Patrick Ramsey was going to get himself killed because the O-Line (and the offensive backfield too) couldn't block a gentle breeze. This year you have the same guys out there with a different coach to teach technique (Bugel) AND an offensive system that centers on keeping the QB upright by throwing the ball only when you have to or when the defense is looking for the run (Gibbs) If the O-Line is as bad as last year and the backs still don't block, fire the players because there is evidence that the offensive system does work. There are three Lombardi trophies that say that.

I'll tell you why many of the media folks do not like Danny Boy. When he came into the league he was an arrogant hothead who demanded that everyone cater to his whims and call him "Mr. Snyder". That was not just his employees; he tried - briefly - to pull that crap on longtime NFL writers and broadcasters. Guess what? They told him to take a hike and when he bristled, they took great pleasure in goading him. For some folks, that edge has not worn off yet.
sportscurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 06:57 PM   #19
SKINSnCANES
Pro Bowl

you guys keep talking about all the negative media coverage we have been getting over the years, but I dont see that at all. During the year last year is when I think it started. Up until that point everyoen kept thinking that we were goign to do well and that we had the talent, plenty of peopel raved about us getting Spurrier, and it was mostly positive news. I think now they have every reason to be hisitant, I dont think its some conspiracy of any sorts towards snyder. I bet if we start winning it will be positive again.
Old 08-05-2004, 07:27 PM   #20
cocoajoey
Special Teams

Thumbs down

ESPN must be getting paid bye jerry joke to talk up his football team. Did anyone notice every day ESPN talks about the cowgrils?
cocoajoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 10:32 PM   #21
Hogskin
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergman14
More importantly though, nobody seems to be talking about his point on Sean Taylor. He said Andre Lott would start at safety.. Andre Lott? He also said iffy is buried on the third unit. What is going on? Taylor was in camp on time and in my mind there is no reason he should not start.
The reason he said that is that he can't see past his fat belly. That is the current order they are playing in now, and has no real significance for the start of the season. It would be REAL unusual for GIBBS to immediately move in a rookie to the starting spot. He will work him into the starting job over the next week or two.

And, Curmudgeon, as far as not liking the piece because it is anti-Redskins, get real. This piece was a horrible, blubbery, BASELESS slam against the team. How many decent points did he make???? If it was an intelligent, well-written piece, it would make me think, and wonder if I am overestimating the team. This was not anywhere near that category. It was typical of him.
Hogskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 12:23 AM   #22
SKINSnCANES
Pro Bowl

Its not liek Lott has anymore game time saftey experience in teh NFL then taylor does, taylor will be in that first string unit soon enough. As soon as he gets up to pace with the speed of the nfl and gets conditioned to it.
Old 08-06-2004, 05:25 AM   #23
bedlamVR
Special Teams

Pasta Belly made so few relevent points he may well have not bothered going to camp at all. I could have made these comments from 7,000 miles away in the Uk Brunell is having a shaky camp he even poored scorn on Brunells numbers from last year saying the high compleation rate was down to him relying on dump off passes and short compleations but isn't that basically how the NFL works now? Quick effeicient passing for short gains relying on the reciever to make the yards after the catch to defeat the pass rush. Its how Brady makes his money and Delehume certianly dosen't live by the bomb.

Thing is Brunell wasn't brought in to shine in camp he has been through alot of them but to win games where his expericene guts and football smarts pay off. Ramsey might have the younger more powerful body but putting him in with only Hamden and Hastlebeck(sp?) behind him would be the eqivelent of starting a rookie. The other thing is Brunell can sit on the pine if need be and pass on the benifits of his expereince if need be he did it last year for Leftwitch in a situation which was very badly handled by the Jags front office. Compare that to the Warner Eli situation bubbling n New York. We all know how well the Warner clan handled his demotion at St Louis.
bedlamVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 01:29 PM   #24
That Guy
Living Legend

the big point here is, you can't judge an entire team by one 2 hour practice...
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 02:18 PM   #25
SkinsRock
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy
the big point here is, you can't judge an entire team by one 2 hour practice...
EXACTLY! Especially in the first week of camp...
SkinsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 02:19 PM   #26
Cowboyhater
Camp Scrub

Tom Friend of ESPN has give the Skins some love recently, he had a great piece on espn.com when the news broke that Gibbs had returned. Recently lambasted Peter Angelos for blocking a baseball team for DC. Len P. is hard on the Redskins, but he give Gibbs the benefit of the doubt because he knows how good Gibbs is as a coach, but I do wish he would lay off The Danny a little.