Report: Garnett to Celtics Almost Done

Other Sports

Old 07-31-2007, 10:24 AM   #16
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Re: Report: Garnett to Celtics Almost Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Are the Wolves getting Rajon Rondo? I think he could be key. If the Celtics keep him, they could be ok.

Anyone else feel really old seeing McHale and Ainge being instrumental in a major trade involving the Celtics, but not as players; instead as the guys who orchestrated the deal?
We keep Rajon.
mredskins is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 07-31-2007, 10:28 AM   #17
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmek25 View Post
smooty, i disagree. the Celtics gave up alot of bodies, not players. Ryan Gomes is a good young player, but thats it. while i love Theo Ratliff, the man cant play a full 82 game season. the Celtics got a proven scorer and rebounder
Jefferson, Green and Rondo are all more than just bodies.

Jefferson is a a mor than solid starter. Green can be a major contributor ona contender and Rondo has potential. If these three work out then Minny wins this deal. In the end though Boston is not going to win with the team they currently have. While those three are good none of them is a huge difference maker on an under talented team. Garnett/Pierce/Allen is pretty darn good. Now they need to figure out who else can play and not lose games for them. They are giving away most of the ones they already have to get Garnett.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 10:31 AM   #18
FRPLG
MVP

Ok looking at the real deal evens it out in my mind.

Ratliff and Telfair are garbage. One is a contract dump and one is a character dump. Minny taking them is a positive for Boston.

The other three Green, Jefferson and Gomes are decent players, Keeping Rondo is good for Boston. This seems like a pretty even deal to me.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 10:33 AM   #19
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post

Jefferson is a a mor than solid starter. Green can be a major contributor ona contender and Rondo has potential. If these three work out then Minny wins this deal. In the end though Boston is not going to win with the team they currently have. While those three are good none of them is a huge difference maker on an under talented team. Garnett/Pierce/Allen is pretty darn good. Now they need to figure out who else can play and not lose games for them. They are giving away most of the ones they already have to get Garnett.

Dude Rondo is not part of the deal and Green is a Dee Brown Jr. We are basically losing Al for KG.

ESPN.com - NBA - Trade Machine Results=
Old 07-31-2007, 01:57 PM   #20
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:
Are the Wolves getting Rajon Rondo? I think he could be key. If the Celtics keep him, they could be ok.

Anyone else feel really old seeing McHale and Ainge being instrumental in a major trade involving the Celtics, but not as players; instead as the guys who orchestrated the deal?
Oh yeah.
I remember when Ainge played 2nd base for the Blue Jays. Now that makes me feel old.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:59 PM   #21
jsarno
Franchise Player

My biggest concerns were losing Al (but he was the real key to the trade) but more importantly, losing 2 first round draft picks! 2!!!!
Old 07-31-2007, 01:59 PM   #22
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Rajon Rondo is staying but the deal is reportedly done

The big one - The Boston Globe

BostonHerald.com - Boston Celtics: C’s cash in ‘Big Ticket’: Set to acquire Garnett, challenge again in East

Shameless self-promotion. It is what it is.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 02:11 PM   #23
dmek25
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post

are we watching the same players? while all three of them have potential, none of them are considered a solid NBA player. Boston got a legit NBA all star, for practically nothing. if they wouldn't have thrown in the 2 picks, this would have been the steal of the century. kudos to Danny Ainge( but i still think he is a horses ass)
Old 07-31-2007, 02:21 PM   #24
MTK
\m/

Ainge is going for broke. It's win now or else.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:45 PM   #25
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Jefferson and Gomes were contributors, but they're easily replaced. Jefferson is the best player leaving Boston in this deal though. Green is a showboater who can dunk, but doesn't do much in real games. Ratliff is done, no loss there. Telfair is a benchwarmer. The only reason anyone ever heard of him is because a TV movie was made about his life in the hood.

So, the Celts starters should be:

PG - Rajon Rondo
SG - Ray Allen
SF - Paul Pierce
PF - Kevin Garnett
C - Kedrick Perkins

That's a very solid lineup, however the only good player on their bench is Tony Allen and that's IF he's healed up from his major injury last year. They're lucky to be in the East and they'll be in the playoffs this year, maybe winning near 50 games if the big 3 stay healthy...but they won't get anywhere near a title. The 3 egos have to learn to play together. Being veteran players who want a title before retiring, they probably will be fine with that. However, the team doesn't have enough depth to compete and there are better teams in the East. Chicago (my pick to win the East next season, Washington when healthy, Miami maybe but they're on the decline, Detroit, maybe even Cleveland although they're a one-man show. Boston should be about a 4 or 5 seed in the playoffs...if they were in the West, they'd be struggling to make the playoffs at all.

It'll be fun to watch. A lot of fun maybe, but this won't win them a title. After 2, maybe 3 years if they're extremely lucky, these guys will be retired and Boston will have NO ONE left. They just sacrificed their future for a chance to win once...and that might not even happen.

Now if this was KG, Allen and Pierce from 5 years ago, they're a lock to win it all, but in 2007-08, they won't even win the East and if they do, any team in the West can demolish them in the Finals.

A lot of hype. They're big names, but they're at the end of their careers and have no one else around them. 3 big names can't win a title.

I actually think giving up Delonte West at the draft was a MAJOR mistake. He had a bright future and would've been great to distribute the ball to the big 3.

Oh well.

I look forward to seeing them play. Like I said, it will be fun for the fans, but not the front office of the team.
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 02:53 PM   #26
Monkeydad
Living Legend

The Celts should've kept Antoine Walker and Paul Pierce together, they were a great tandem and they actually won back then.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:54 PM   #27
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Buster, you're forgetting about Toronto and New Jersey in the East as well.

As for the "Big 3" in Boston, any Wizards fan can tell you it takes a lot more than 3 all-stars to be a championship team. Where's the depth, what happens if one of them gets injured.
Old 07-31-2007, 03:08 PM   #28
mredskins
Gamebreaker

You all make good points but as a life long Celtics fan, I finally have something to look forward too this NBA season. I am willing to bet they do better then the Wizards.
Old 07-31-2007, 03:13 PM   #29
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

The Celts big 3 would be better than the Wizards Big 3 and I dont even consider Caron Butler to be that big. But like I have been saying to my cousin who is a celts fan: There is no depth. Who is coming off the bench when they need a rest? Tony Allen. HAHAHAHAHA. I think they should have found a way to keep Gerald Green. Or now try and sign Mikeal Piertus from the Warriors. They have no depth but they can easily compete for an Eastern confrence championship.

Shameless self-promotion. It is what it is.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 03:17 PM   #30
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Buster, you're forgetting about Toronto and New Jersey in the East as well.

As for the "Big 3" in Boston, any Wizards fan can tell you it takes a lot more than 3 all-stars to be a championship team. Where's the depth, what happens if one of them gets injured.
I did forget about those teams. Toronto is going to be one of the better Eastern teams in a few years, but NJ has had their chances and won't go much further than they already have.

Washington's bench is a LOT deeper than Boston's. They have Tony Allen, Brian Scalabrine and a ton of rookies no one knows.